Savage Top Speed (Read 417 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Re: Savage Top Speed
Reply #15 - 08/26/07 at 21:22:01

Hi, Lancer  Answering the weight issue I weight 200lb in my socks so I am not too small. I think I read some where you were around that mark too. I admire the work you put into that bike to make it go that fast.
The reason I asked the question is I think it a testament to our "little" bike that with very few mods it can get close to or exceed 100mph.
Geo, I answer with respect
"For gods sake! This is a bicycle, why are we trying to get to the "ton"?
Because I want to I think is my answer to that.
besides the thread was " What is the top speed of your Savage"  not why do you want to do the ton? . A different thing entirely. I am interested to find out things like.
Does it wobble too much at speed?. Are some people only getting a top speed of 75. How much diference the  mods make to the top end ?. Thanks for all answers I am finding it an interesting subject

Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 08/26/07 at 21:27:29

A little off topic, but concerning doing the ton.  My first and only time to hit 100 mph was in 1964, on I-94 returning to Detroit after visiting my brother in Navy Boot.  A '64 Savoy, 225 slant-6, auto.  Mum asleep in the back seat, sis asleep in shotgun.  Road open, clear.  Gave it more gas.  A bit more.  Still more.  Rolling at an indicated 100.   8)  A Caddy blew past doing at least 20 mph faster.   Undecided  Let it ease back down to 70.

It is something you should do at least once.  That you can do it is as good as actually doing it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/26/07 at 22:12:29

I have gutted the header pipe & removed the inner wall, put a Supertrapp on it with 14 disks, almost stock spacer, 150 main, stock pilot,iridium plug, K&N drop in, longer duration cam from Lancer. Now, it has hit about 92 or 3. Really, not but about a 3 mph improvement over one day when it was stock, but for some reason, it never ran that again( The day it ran 90 in stock config) . Seems something about the carb changed as it broke in? Heck, I dunno, it slowly delivered worse & worse MPG, BUT, I was also gaining confidence & flogging it harder & harder. My kid got 56 MPG when I was getting 45 or so, so,, whats that tell ya? Anyway, No, it's not doing the ton,it is steady at speed, it will get to riding like a drunk cow in a big turn at speed if too much countersteer is used to get it into the turn. Or, if tires are worn or improperly inflated, but straight line, with that rake its a rock. Hope that wasnt confusing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #18 - 08/26/07 at 23:27:22

The fastest I have had my completely stock 06 S40 is between 80 and 85 for around 65 miles, and got around 58 MPG.  It still had more to go at over 80, but that is more than enough for me on a light scooter.  This is how my S40 became known as "The Little Bike That Could" with the Patriot Guard Riders.  One note...we usually run the open road at no more than 70 for safety reasons and it does that fine with my summer weight at 205 and winter weight with full leathers around 230 easy.
Grin 8) 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 08/27/07 at 13:18:52

Quote:
Does it wobble too much at speed?.

Steve

I never had a handling problem with mine, it was rock steady at all speeds all of the time.
Of course, when zooming along at 90+ the steeringing is a bit lighter to the feel, but I never felt any problematic symtoms at all.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/27/07 at 13:47:53

you must be driving in those drunken rain grooves we have.

Find a smooth spot or asphalt and compare the feel.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #21 - 08/27/07 at 20:53:36

I think you could well be correct about the grooves.  We have some pretty poor freeways here  in SoCal.  I do know where there is nice flat spot so may do an early morning ride there one day. lol

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Vince-Be
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Belgium
Reply #22 - 10/18/17 at 05:49:39

With my 98' ( Café Racer ) 103 mph but exhaust and carburator modified.
- Muffler Megaphon
- Air Filter K&N
- Carburator : Main Jet 152.5 and Pilot Jet 55.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 10/18/17 at 09:20:58

Vince-Be wrote on 10/18/17 at 05:49:39:
- Muffler Megaphon
- Air Filter K&N

Is that on a speedo or GPS ? I don't doubt you cause I know these bikes are capable of the ton ! Belt or chain , what's your final ratio on a 18" wheel ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/18/17 at 09:54:37

Not sure what it will do but I have had it over 85 one time with room to spare. Fast enough for me. I have had bikes that would do well over 100 but never found a reason to do it. 90% of my riding is on back asphalt roads that are 50 MPH or less for speed limits. This bike is perfect.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 10/18/17 at 09:57:19

Ruttly wrote on 10/18/17 at 09:20:58:
Vince-Be wrote on 10/18/17 at 05:49:39:
- Muffler Megaphon
- Air Filter K&N

Is that on a speedo or GPS ? I don't doubt you cause I know these bikes are capable of the ton ! Belt or chain , what's your final ratio on a 18" wheel ?

He still has a 15" rear wheel.....and a speedo up on the handlebars.

I have a hard time accepting an engine without a cam,Wiseco, some head porting and a different carb can go 103mph (without a big hill or tail wind).  The the stock 8.5:1 compression engine just can't make enough power with only an air filter and muffler change.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 10/18/17 at 11:59:38

I think for the most part that there is just a small gain in top speed if all the mods are external, You might gain 1-3 hP with a change of muffler ,carb tuning, and air filter -intake manifold tuning . I have done all of these an find my bike to run 88 any day, and 90 on a good day (perfect weather conditions-rare!)My bike doesn't run but 1-2 mph faster than it did stock ,but it runs smoother and reaches speeds much faster ! which makes it lots more fun to ride! I really don't care if it won't do the ton ! the money it will cost to get there ,(internal mods)doesn't seem worth it for me, it might be different if I was building a Cafe'.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 10/18/17 at 12:29:47

My 05 with a stage one, jets, K&N, modified air box, and supertrapp and Dunlop rear, on a stretch of cement on I 20, it broke 100, barely, but never even got close again.
It was level, no appreciable wind, and I guess the temperature and humidity were just perfect for the jetting that day. Usually around ninety was It.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #28 - 10/18/17 at 12:32:48

When I was tuning my carb for the HD Dyna muffler, I did a series of test runs on a straight, flat country road out here (It's actually part of the original 1930's Grand Prix circuit!). The road surface is not great but generally ok. I hit 93 mph. It probably had a little more to give but it was starting to wind out, and I found out what I wanted to know. Handling was fine on a straight run. I was more concerned with keeping my helmet on at that stage.

That was on a still day. I weigh 165 lbs, and the bike had empty, 'square-ish' saddle bags mounted. I also shed some weight by dropping the fender rails, switching to the Dyna, and losing the tall risers. My carb mods are in my signature.

I never need to actually ride that fast. But it was really informative to know what the bike can do. I also had a tach fitted at the time so I learnt even more about what rev range the bike works best in (higher than I previously thought). It really lifted my confidence in the bike and made my general riding much more enjoyable. I don't have the tach on now, but I found it a really useful thing to have on there for a while.

I'm not a speed demon. I switched from a Ninja to the Savage partly for that reason. But I do like to accelerate quickly to the speed limit (or thereabouts).

Someone on the forum once put it really well: "The Savage is great fun at legal speeds".

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 10/18/17 at 13:08:42

If that was a stock size rear tire it was not going as fast as the speedometer said.
My 02 has a stage one, it's jetted, and a Dyna muffler, but, it's got a windscreen on the buckhorns and bags out in the wind. It has the bigger front cog, stock rear size and it won't indicate 85,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:30:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Top Speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.