Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
long term effects of the plug cap leak?? (Read 9 times)
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
long term effects of the plug cap leak??
08/25/07 at 19:47:23

I went back to trump and got a brand new Triumph Scrambler.... unfortunately I got side swiped by a car and the Triumph is waiting on parts from across the pond to get fixed...... i'm battered and bruised with a fractured wrist but thankfully I have the good sense to wear a full face helmet or a 25 mph crash could have cracked my skull open like an egg...... i'm back on the thumper while the Scrambler is in the shop...... i never got around to fixing the ubiquitous plug cap leak and am just wondering if there are any long term effects other than having to top off the oil that leaks onto the engine...... just wondering if there is potential for a major problem or if this is just an annoyance...... i had a 72 Triumph Daytona from the Meriden years so a few drops of oil on the driveway brings back fond memories........ anybody know if the plug cap on an 88 is subject to major failure that could cause serious damage??  i'm planning on fixing the leak once I get the Triumph out of the shop but don't want to risk any major engine damage....... i forgot how much i missed the backfire when i turn it off  Grin

I'm livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.....
islandcat88   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: long term effects of the plug cap leak??
Reply #1 - 08/25/07 at 20:06:24

In looking at the infamous plus, there is no way it can dislodge, just gets looser and looser and moves up and down with the changes in crankcase pressure as the piston goes up and down. It is actually worse at idle and slow speeds as at road speed the pressure is almost enough to seat it. If you take a flash light at idle and look up above and behind the exhaust pipe you can watch the pug move at idle. Seated is down by the way. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 08/25/07 at 20:14:04

Had an aluminum plug (w/o-ring) made when I rebuilt the engine.  I'm at 500 miles and it's bone dry......Will post more when I hit the 1000 mile mark.  Did the 500 mile in 18 days.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 08/25/07 at 20:52:21

You can ride with an oil leak as long, as You feel like it. The only thing is that the leak will get nastier and nastier.
about the oil plug- I just got shafted- I ordered 2 from Ron Ayers and I got the old design-the ones that start leaking every couple thousand miles.
The new idea that came to my mind is to use appropriate size solid rubber plug, but also to screw in the middle a 1/4" sheet metal screw to spread it against the walls. This will ensure enough pressure to prevent any leaks.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 08/25/07 at 20:57:26

I ran with my leak for over 2 years.  Have my two main parking spots well marked.  Finally got tired of leaving spots on the sidewalk at Ralph's and Target and such.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 08/26/07 at 20:12:43

I guess the answer to the question on long term effects....  

Gets messy,  the oil that leaked out will get hot and dry out and turn to grease/sludge/tar.  If it gets bad enough it could get on the exhaust, then you'll start smelling like burnt oil.  

Until you can plan for a head cover removal,  keep the oil level topped up, if the leak gets too bad, then fix it.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:28:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › long term effects of the plug cap leak??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.