Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Uneven brake pad wear (Read 5 times)
DanGill

Uneven brake pad wear
08/26/07 at 16:53:00

I just replaced the front pads on my S40 at 4150 miles. The inside pad, the one that is stationary, was worn considerably more than the pad backed by the piston. What causes this? Is there an adjustment I can make to make sure that doesn't happen to this set?

I noticed that the bike rolled a little easier after the change. From that I'm assuming the inside pad has been rubbing a little since I got the bike. That would jibe with the greater pad wear.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Uneven brake pad wear
Reply #1 - 08/26/07 at 19:34:49

Clean & lube the pins that the caliper slides on. That way, when the brake is released, the brakes can drift apart easily.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 08/26/07 at 19:45:19

Yep, clean and lube.   Check Auto Zone for the lube.

Notes on things that need lubing in a dusty enviroments:
-  grease & oil, WD 40, CRC,... will pick up the dust and gum up or if the dust is abrasive, it will stop acting as a lube and.....      
- Graphite is a type of mineral, and even though it is considered a dry lube, it is slightly abrasive in tight fits.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #3 - 08/26/07 at 21:00:45

I cleaned everything with brake cleaner. I didn't lube the pins, just the backs of the pads, with the blue spray lube. Is that what is recommended for the pins as well?

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/27/07 at 00:46:13

I would use a bit of anti sieze on the pins that allow the calliper to bring each pad into the rotor equally. That way, it can actually put even forces on the pads & release them, too. I am soon to be doing this myself. Glad you mentioned this, so I wouldnt just swap out the pads & go.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:21:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uneven brake pad wear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.