kick stand switch? (Read 18 times)
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
kick stand switch?
08/22/07 at 18:10:31

how easily can i disable this switch ? i did a search and came up with nothing. i am only interested in getting rid of it, and the chopper diagram is confusing to me.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: kick stand switch?
Reply #1 - 08/22/07 at 19:29:29

With the kick stand up the switch is closed/shorted to complete the circuit.  

Means if you really want to do this, cut wires and connect together.

Here come the std disclaimer: it's called a safety feature.......do this at your own risk......Sorry had to say that....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 08/22/07 at 19:41:20

i was gonna try that just didn't know if it would work or not. i usually ride my chop, and believe me there is a very little in the way of safety features on it. thanks .

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 08/22/07 at 21:22:43

There are actually photos of the wires on The Handyman's photo CD...

Hint, hint...Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/22/07 at 21:49:54

When people install trailer wiring on cars they often use what I call a "saddle tap" to splice one wire into another. It allows one wire to pass thru & the other to butt into a stop, with a blad that presses thru the insulation on both wires & a clip that closes the apparatus on the wires. If ya open the end up that is supposed to just have a wire originate in that little cup & splice into the long wire running next to it, you can use the saddle tap to short 2 wires, & thats how I bypassed the switches on mine, That way, it can be reversed easily. If someone els is gonna ride it, you know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/22/07 at 22:11:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
When people install trailer wiring on cars they often use what I call a "saddle tap" to splice one wire into another. It allows one wire to pass thru & the other to butt into a stop, with a blad that presses thru the insulation on both wires & a clip that closes the apparatus on the wires. If ya open the end up that is supposed to just have a wire originate in that little cup & splice into the long wire running next to it, you can use the saddle tap to short 2 wires, & thats how I bypassed the switches on mine, That way, it can be reversed easily. If someone els is gonna ride it, you know.

Sounds like a quick trip to U-Haul to me.

Why would you want to punch holes in your wire insulation with any kind of "reversed easily" idea?  

That way the next owner gets to figure out why the bike won't start, and all us old timers will be stuck trying to walk him through all the trouble shooting again...and it'll just be that his wires corroded away.

Let's get serious.  You want to bypass the side stand switch?  At least have a little style when doing it.  Don't be lazy.  Go under the tank and bypass the side stand relay.

What is going on here?  Seems like everyone is just "rigging".

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/23/07 at 00:16:54

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:14:13 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #7 - 08/23/07 at 06:10:39

A wire tie wouldn't help mine. The switch was dead, dead, dead. This happened on the first night I had the bike. I cut the wires and shorted them together with a crimp connector, then shrink-tubed the connection. I was too new to the bike to mess with the relay. I suspect my "fix" will outlast much of the bike.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 08/23/07 at 15:35:03

All I did was pull the seat, cut the wires going to the switch, solder them together and covered the connection with shrink wrap tubing. Don't know where the relay is and am clueless as to how to bypass it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #9 - 08/23/07 at 16:52:44

i was only asking for advice. didn't mean to offend any one, it's not like i'm gonna cut the wires, twist em together and hope for the best. i do have standards ya know, they might be low but i have em.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 08/23/07 at 19:01:47

rigidchop,
  Standards....you got that.  I almost gave up telling people how I would do things because they think I'm nuts for doing all the detail.

What I would do in buy old wiring harness, or both ends of where KS swtch connects. Then would make a removeable switch assembly.  I could bypass while I ride, or throw the hidden switch when the kid or friends ride it.   But, if for some reason I need to sell the bike, unplug the assembly and it's factory again.  An all original Antique bike can go for twice that of a modified bike, .... Yep, the 1986's are only 3 1/4 years from antique status.....

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #11 - 08/23/07 at 19:20:01

i was thinking of putting a toggle switch some where as a hidden kill switch. if someone wants it they can still steal it, but they wont ride away on it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 08/24/07 at 09:04:25

rigidchop wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
i was thinking of putting a toggle switch some where as a hidden kill switch. if someone wants it they can still steal it, but they wont ride away on it.

That's actually a very good idea.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 08/24/07 at 16:42:41

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
All I did was pull the seat, cut the wires going to the switch, solder them together and covered the connection with shrink wrap tubing. Don't know where the relay is and am clueless as to how to bypass it.

I see that there's a kickstand relay, and a kickstand doide.  4 wires going to the relay.  Which 2 do you cut and join?  And is that bypassing the relay and doide or just the switch coming up from the kickstand?  Any way to bypass the whole mess?  I want to do it the best way, or at least not cutting the wrong 2 wires. (the red one.....no,no! the green!.....Kaboom!...).

That thing is startin' to p*ss me off.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 08/24/07 at 19:57:47

On my '01, the kickstand switch wires go to a odd looking connector under the seat. That is where I would do any mod's.

---
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:22:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › kick stand switch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.