Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Different Seats on some Savages (Read 72 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Different Seats on some Savages
08/02/07 at 20:40:45

I have noticed,remember I'm new to Savages.that some have a different seat than others. I think they are stock seats,but different.

My 2002 has a seat similiar to a S-40. But some have a different seat.I've only noticed 2 different kinds though.

Was this according to the year made? Does anyone know?

I bought my Savage used so I'm wondering if someone changed the seat on it or if it came that way.

And does anyone know which seat is more comfortable.

Thanks for any info!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Different Seats on some Savages
Reply #1 - 08/02/07 at 21:33:59

Before... oh,,2000 or so, Savages had a solo and pillion seat with pullback bars, then they went to a one piece seat with drag bars.  Almost the only change in the savage line, other than going from 4 to 5 gears in 95'.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/03/07 at 05:38:40

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Before... oh,,2000 or so, Savages had a solo and pillion seat with pullback bars, then they went to a one piece seat with drag bars.  Almost the only change in the savage line, other than going from 4 to 5 gears in 95'.

Also, the first few years had Savages available with either flat or pullback bars.  After that they went to pullbacks only, until just a few years ago.  However, the newer models have different bars than the early flats... probably different risers/clamps too but I haven't looked to be sure.  Below is an image of the stock two-piece seat.  There were a couple of versions of the two-piece also but it seemed to me they were basically just different vinyl coverings.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 08/03/07 at 07:11:59

The seat on my bike dosent look like that one...its the other one Sad  
I think I like that one better!

Do you know which one is more comfortable? Or are they about the same.

Mine does have the pullback handlebars though,which to be honest is why I wanted a Savage and not the S-40. I don't like the straight handlebars,not for me.

Mine is Pearl white (Custom paint).

I bought a white half helmet and then realized they do make a Pearl white Helmet Sad I dont know why you spend money and then see something you wished you'd have bought! But I guess you can have 2 helmets,when you get extra money !!
I have learned though not to rush and buy things.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/03/07 at 09:56:06

To be honest, I don't think there's a lot of difference between the stock seats, whether two-piece or gunslinger.  In my opinion, the pillowtop gel seat for the S40 is more comfortable than the stock.  I'm now trying out the HD Sportster seat on mine and it seems fairly comfortable so far.  However, I haven't done any long rides with it yet... just 25-30 miles at a stint so far and that never bothered me anyway.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 08/03/07 at 10:03:36

I don't believe either seat is better than the other if comfort is the determining factor...

Cosmetically, of the 3 designs I'm aware of, (2 piece with rows on it, 2 piece with flat covering, and 1 piece seat with flat covering) I think the old two piece with rows looks best.

But all of the seats have to be re-padded and repositioned (raised in the front) or replaced entirely if comfort is desired, they are all under-padded and uncomfortable for anything longer than 30 minutes...).

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 08/03/07 at 10:22:57

Balderdash wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Cosmetically, of the 3 designs I'm aware of, (2 piece with rows on it, 2 piece with flat covering, and 1 piece seat with flat covering) I think the old two piece with rows looks best.

I think I've seen two different S40 seats also: one with smooth vinyl and the other has a texture molded into the vinyl to make it look sort of like a weave.

skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #7 - 08/03/07 at 14:48:16

Balderdash wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I don't believe either seat is better than the other if comfort is the determining factor..
But all of the seats have to be re-padded and repositioned (raised in the front) or replaced entirely if comfort is desired, they are all under-padded and uncomfortable for anything longer than 30 minutes...).

Ditto that.
Even when I got a gel seat, I had to put the riser in. This is what my 2006 looks like (seat is all one piece) with the saddlebags over the back pillion. Mine has the original stock weave texture seat on in this photo. The new gel seat is the same shape, but is smooth.

May still go for Balderdash's super-gel pad conversion if I keep up the idea of longer road trips in the future.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 08/07/07 at 22:41:52

Need info on the riser! What is it,what is it for, and how to do it Smiley

In other words I know nothing about it.

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 08/08/07 at 20:50:20

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Need info on the riser! What is it,what is it for, and how to do it Smiley

In other words I know nothing about it.

When you take off your seat, you can see the two bolts that hold down the back of the gas tank.  Those two bolts also hold down the bracket that the plastic clip on the front of the seat goes under when you re-attach the seat.

The idea is to raise that bracket by an inch or two so that the front of the seat is higher and your butt will then stay on the back round part of the seat instead of sliding forward to the skinnier part of the seat and/or riding you up on on the gas tank...

What I did was I went to a hardware store, took off my seat, took out one of the two bolts holding the gas tank down and took that bolt into the store with me.  

I bought two bolts that were the same thread size but one and a half inches longer.  Then I bought 6, 1/2 inch (fat and tall) urathane washers and I used three stacked up on each side so they would be 1 1/2 inches tall with the bolt through them and put them on top of the gas tank mounts.  Then I put the bracket on top of those.  

Thus, the front of my seat is now 1 1/2 inches taller then it was before, making it more comfortable for me to ride the bike.

IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #10 - 08/08/07 at 22:06:44

When I first started riding, I thougt the seat on my '98 was some sort of cruel joke to keep me from riding too long, if there is such a thing  Wink. But it seems the more time I ride the more I'm getting used to it.

I used black rubbber plugs that I drilled holes in and longer screws (metric screws in the length I wanted were a pain to find, I almost just ran a 1/4-20 tap through the welded nuts, but let that feeling pass) to make my front risers.

For the last two months I've been riding to work everyday and that has made a big difference in my acclimation to the seat. I definately think a thick sheepskin or gell cover would certainly help.

HTH

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #11 - 08/09/07 at 05:21:22

05 S40.....pillow top gel raised 1 inch with a sheep skin cover......very comfortable but a Lane recliner would be a whole lot better.  Good luck on your seat search.  I think the Suzuki folks designed the seats for the LS650 in association with the American Association of Chiropractics and the National Hemorrhoidal Society.l

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 08/09/07 at 05:32:04

Baldeagle wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
05 S40.....pillow top gel raised 1 inch with a sheep skin cover......very comfortable but a Lane recliner would be a whole lot better.  Good luck on your seat search.  I think the Suzuki folks designed the seats for the LS650 in association with the American Association of Chiropractics and the National Hemorrhoidal Society.l

I've been using the pillowtop gel S40 seat with and without a sheepskin pad for over a year now and just installed a Sportster seat to try.  I've ridden with the sporty seat for a few weeks now and it is more comfortable than the S40 gel and is cheaper too.  It does take a small amount of adaptation but that's already been documented.  I used the speed-pin suggestion for mine and it comes off and goes back on in seconds.

FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #13 - 08/09/07 at 15:02:58

Thanks Balderdash

Perfect! In every way!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 08/10/07 at 09:31:17

The photo below shows both the smooth texture gel seat and the padding that I used for seat risers.  My risers have some white showing, but you can paint them black to blend in better.

The padding is furniture moving/slider pads available in any hardware store.  I drilled a hole through the pads, and got 2 longer bolts to replace the original shorter ones. Easy to do, quick too!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:14:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different Seats on some Savages

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.