drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
It Lives...YEE HAW !!
08/17/07 at 17:51:58

Well, after rebuilding the carb, changing the oil and filter, fixing all the electrical, draining and flushing the gas tank, and installing a new battery, I was amazed when it fired right up. It ran a little rough at first, but after warming up a bit it seemed to smooth right out. However, it seems to be running a little HOT, as the exhaust pipe turned to a piece of solid gold in about 2 minutes. I turned out the mixture screw a bit and it seemed to get a little better. I think I'll be doing the white washer mod--I thought I was making loud popcorn. I also did the seat mod--used G.M. upper shock bushings and longer bolts with metal sleeves. Now all I need is a good muffler--guy I got it from has a straight pipe on it--way too loud.
Anyway, I would like to thank all of you that helped me through this ordeal. Your insight and input were invaluable.
Now, LET'S RIDE !!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: It Lives...YEE HAW !!
Reply #1 - 08/17/07 at 18:12:16

It is a good feeling ain't it.  That first "will it start" moment....then vroom....

Savage Greg has a stock muffler..........think that might be a big step backwards.......but is quieter than a straight pipe.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/17/07 at 19:35:31

Ya, I don't want a stock muffler. Too quiet. I'd like to try a Mac I think, from what I've been reading. But I'll have to save a few bucks even for that. I'm just glad to get it running. Also, I'm still waiting for the title from the guy, so I can't ride quite yet. He says he can't find it. I say go get a replacement. We'll see what happens.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 08/18/07 at 07:57:09

Keep after him about the title, even offer to split the cost of getting the replacement. Great to hear you got it running, now get the title and get it on the road.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/18/07 at 21:24:34

drums1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Ya, I don't want a stock muffler. Too quiet. I'd like to try a Mac I think, from what I've been reading. But I'll have to save a few bucks even for that. I'm just glad to get it running. Also, I'm still waiting for the title from the guy, so I can't ride quite yet. He says he can't find it. I say go get a replacement. We'll see what happens.
think i got a couple of hardly davis muff round here one has the adaptor pipe in it(couldnt get it back out) pm me shipping only if wanted..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:19:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It Lives...YEE HAW !!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.