Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help a newbie!! (Read 4 times)
JFinol
Ex Member

Help a newbie!!
08/16/07 at 18:39:24

First of all, I would like to introduce myself, since I'm a new member and savage rider as well(my first bike ever).
I bought a 2000 Suzuki Savage(green/white color) w/ 6000 miles on it. I wanted it so I can commute to school, well that was my excuse to get a bike (please don't mention this to my wife). It is a nice bike except the color, I would rather to have it in black or burgundy, but well !!.
Anyways, I've been looking all the topics posted in this website, and I am glad that some one toke the effort to put this savage community together.
Many of my question and concern have been answered already, but there still some stuff that I do not understand yet. For example, what does it mean jetting the carb? What it is back fire? How do I know my bike isn't back firing?
I want to replace my bike's pipe for an EA, and I seen in some of your forum all these terms, name and stuff that I do not understand. Another, concern I have is about the performance of my bike after installing such pipe. Is the after market pipe going to damage the engine in the long run, or shorten its life time?
Please, help me out on this so I can make a smatter decision whether change the pipe or not. I will also appreciate any advise in how to install the pipe and what other changes need to be done when installing the pipe.
Let me thank you in advance for your advise and for at least reading this.
Best regard!!!
JFinol

8)

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Re: Help a newbie!!
Reply #1 - 08/17/07 at 05:11:52

Welcome!  Can't help you with any of that technical stuff..I high five my family when I successfully change the oil without putting anyone's eye out.

But someone here will deffinitely get ya through it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #2 - 08/17/07 at 09:34:55

back fire sounds like a huge bang. you will know when it backfires cuase you will be scared and a little embarassed at everyone looking at you.

just read as much as you can.. eventually things will start making sense for you.
i read everything i can even if i dont have the problem.. so you know for the future.

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 08/17/07 at 09:47:57

Will try to answer some question:

Back-firing: it's that little pop pop pop when decelerating or the pop when you let off the throttle and pull in the clutch lever.  Sometime a pop when you turn off the bike.  Basically it's root cause is a fuel to air mixture condition that manifests itself in the exhaust pipe.  Mini expolsions......

Jetting:  The carb's on many motorcycles have multiple fuel passageways (circuits) that meter the fuel going into the engine.  Each passageway is used for different spots on how "open" the throttle is.  (1/4, 1/2, 3/4  )  The air screw (sometimes called the idle mixture) is first circuit.  Needle postion is next and mainjet last.  In the old days, bikes were setup for best overall realiability and performance.  Then came the EPA......now many bikes are "Lean'd" out which means fuel to air mixture is on the low side.  When a modification is done to the bike that is in the air-fuel path (i.e. Performance air cleaner, bigger piston, performance exhaust) this fuel to air "balance" is affected (more air!!!).  Thus, changes have to be made, and one of those changes is putting in a larger main jet to get the balance back.

Hope this helps a little.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 08/17/07 at 09:54:59

New also....don't know much.I try to learn here and the Tech forum is really good,but....

The backfire....I thought I had been shot Smiley With no warning at all.

But with mine it dosent happen that often.And I get over it pretty quickly  Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
JFinol
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/17/07 at 15:04:09

Thanks so much for your explanations Smiley
Now, I would like to install a EA slash cut pipe, do I have to rejet the carb in my savage? If I do, how do I do this, what is the set up?
I know I am asking too much but that how I lear.
Undecided

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #6 - 08/18/07 at 00:42:22

Check the byline at the bottom of my post and you will see the jetting and spacer mod that I used after I put a Harley Dyna muffler on with a K&N replacement style air filter. The pilot and main jets you can get from Harley or Suzuki dealers. The pilot jet takes care of the idle mixture and the main jet takes care of full throttle mixture. The spacer mod (I am at 1/2 of the spacer original thickness) takes care of the mid-range mixture. I am in Memphis TN at about 250 ft altitude. If you live say in Denver CO at 5000 ft you will have to go smaller to adjust to the thinner air. There is a tech section post that walks you thru the spacer modification.  Tells you everything except how to get the spacer thinner. I used a fine file or you could use fine sandpaper. Some people use a #4 size (I think I remember this correctly) washers procured from a hardware store to replace the spacer. This allows them to keep the spacer in case you need to go back to stock. You will feel an amazing difference in performance!! I still get better than 50 mpg. Don't be intimadated by the process, just go slow and follow the post. Keep everything, especially the vacuum slide spotlessly clean and you will have no trouble at all. Good luck and welcome aboard!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 08/18/07 at 08:58:54

The jets are easily accessed from the bottom of the carb, all you have to do is remove the carburator bowl after draining from the little screw at the bottom. Just remove the four screws holding the bowl on. (most folks after removing screws replace them with stainless steel allen head screws which is a good idea because the original screws are very soft and easily chewed up) There are two jets, the main is the fat one and the pilot is the small one. When looking at them they look like like standard screws with holes in the center of the screw heads.

Simply unscrew these and replace them with desired size. The sizes of the jets are stamped onto the screw heads.

As stated above, the size of jets you will need depend greatly on the altitude where you live. Basically the higher your altitude, the bigger jet you will need. Because the higher you get the thinner the air which means the more raw fuel you'll need to get into the cylinder. However, when putting on a freer flowing muffler, you will need to adjust the jet size accordingly.

There is very good references and how-to threads in the tech/referance section of this site. This is where I get most of my how-to stuff.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #8 - 08/18/07 at 11:30:53

YonuhAdisi; Correction. The higher you are the smaller the jet needs to be. The ideal fuel mixture is about 14 air:1 fuel, so at higer altitude you have less air so you'll need less fuel.(iaw you need to lean out the mixture) You also will lose about 3.5% horsepower per 1000 ft elevatin.  The trottle on this carb does NOT raise the needle. (iaw it is not connected to the slide) It just opens a throttle plate in the throat.The stock carburator does Altitude compension due to the fact that the slide gets pulled up by the amount of vacuum you can pull wich is controlled by the throttle plate angle in the carb throat). For every 1000 ft you lose 1 inch of vacuum . Example; Sea level is 30 inches , at 5000 ft it is 25 inches (of mannifold pressure) Since at altitude the slide (at the same trottle setting) will not raise as high, the needle will not be pulled as far out of the main jet and since this needle is tapered it regulates the amount of fuel you get. So it is self leaning. This system does not need different jets for different altitudes. Hope this helps (I am a Commercial Flight Instructor, Multi,Instrument etc. and this is a common misconseption.) If you have a carb where the slide gets manually pulled up (like a Dellorto) you will need to rejet (smaller jets) the higher you go or they'll run way too rich Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 08/18/07 at 11:37:27

Hi Vtail, does that mean you fly a Beechcraft? The Community college I first taught had a fleet of those in their flight program. I tried explaining carb icing and so the next time it comes up how about you giving it a go. I do know small aircraft add carb heat prior to take off and landing to minimize the possibilty of power loss during those critical moments. Thanks Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #10 - 08/18/07 at 12:22:04

Yep Max, you are correct, a V35 Bonanza. Carb ice is another often misunderstood subject, but you can find plenty of good explanations on all kinds of aviation web-sides.

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 08/19/07 at 07:27:50

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
YonuhAdisi; Correction. The higher you are the smaller the jet needs to be. The ideal fuel mixture is about 14 air:1 fuel, so at higer altitude you have less air so you'll need less fuel.(iaw you need to lean out the mixture) You also will lose about 3.5% horsepower per 1000 ft elevatin.  The trottle on this carb does NOT raise the needle. (iaw it is not connected to the slide) It just opens a throttle plate in the throat.The stock carburator does Altitude compension due to the fact that the slide gets pulled up by the amount of vacuum you can pull wich is controlled by the throttle plate angle in the carb throat). For every 1000 ft you lose 1 inch of vacuum . Example; Sea level is 30 inches , at 5000 ft it is 25 inches (of mannifold pressure) Since at altitude the slide (at the same trottle setting) will not raise as high, the needle will not be pulled as far out of the main jet and since this needle is tapered it regulates the amount of fuel you get. So it is self leaning. This system does not need different jets for different altitudes. Hope this helps (I am a Commercial Flight Instructor, Multi,Instrument etc. and this is a common misconseption.) If you have a carb where the slide gets manually pulled up (like a Dellorto) you will need to rejet (smaller jets) the higher you go or they'll run way too rich Smiley

Thank you for the correction Vtail, I thought that didn't quite sound right when I typed it but was in a rush to get to work so I couldn't go back over it closely and correct it.

I was a student pilot for a little while (didn't get to finish because of monetary concerns) I should have remembered that about the carb. I flew a Cessna 152 II.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help a newbie!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.