Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chain conversion: How much slack in chain? (Read 8 times)
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Chain conversion: How much slack in chain?
08/12/07 at 16:20:30

I'm wondering how much slack I should be leaving in the chain. I've ridden it with a tight chain but there should be slack to allow for shock travel right?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Chain conversion: How much slack in chain?
Reply #1 - 08/12/07 at 19:28:03

You'll want to find a really fat guy, or two regular guys, or two skinny guys and a girl....
Course you can also just lay your chest on the seat and pull on the swingarm....

Seriously, too tight can be dangerous, and will definately stretch the chain out fast.  You need a least a bit of slack at full shock compression.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 08/12/07 at 19:36:04

there are no specs for the free play. The only 100% sure way to determine is if You do it like on a quad.
1.Find where is the "tight spot" of the chain.
2. Losen the chain
3. Fully compress the suspension /find a fat buddy to sit on the rear seat or put a tie down strap thru the rear seat and  the swing arm and tighten it as much as You can/
4.leave about 1/4" free play and tighten the rear axle.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #3 - 08/12/07 at 20:30:17

You guys rock! At the same time having access to your experience may give me a false sense of confidence with my mods, but heck how better to learn Smiley

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #4 - 08/12/07 at 20:41:32

So Metri how do you like the chain mod ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #5 - 08/12/07 at 20:59:04

Well, truth be told, I just don't know. I had a huge clutch slip issue when I first got the bike and couldn't open the throttle past half without major slipping. I took apart clutch and found worn disks. I ordered new disks and the chain conversion stuff at the same time. When I put it back together I put a 17/43 with drag pipes. since the clutch was working properly I had excellent acceleration, but only took it on the highway once. I had it back on the road only 1 day until some guy pulls out in front of me and I wipe out. The insurance wrote it off and I'm rebuilding. I only road about 50km on the chain, but since I never ran the belt with a working clutch I just don't know the difference. that being said, I didn't find anything wrong with the chain and did the conversion to facilitate a larger VW rear tire (that I have been un-able to find as I'm told it's on back order everywhere!) and lower rpm on the highway. I only had it on the highway for 10 minutes Sad. The thing I did like was that with straight pipe no car would stay in front of me... they kept getting out of my way Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:10:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain conversion: How much slack in chain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.