Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How "slip on" is the jardine muffler (Read 16 times)
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
How "slip on" is the jardine muffler
08/09/07 at 04:31:11

Just got my jardine and hope to install on sunday time permitting. The clymer manual suggests removing the entire exhaust to work on the exhaust system. My question is can I leave the header attached and just "slip on" the jardine or should I pull the exhaust out of the bike as suggested by the clymer manual. I have got the gasket (it was only 4 bucks) that goes between the cylinder head and the header as clymer says use a new one each time the exhaust is pulled.

'06, TKAT fork brace, 1/3 spacer,155 main/55 pilot, K@N filter, Jardine, NGK irridium plug, Phillips MotoVision +40 orange hue bulb, windscreen, Hagon Shocks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: How "slip on" is the jardine muffler
Reply #1 - 08/09/07 at 07:12:08

does indeed just slip on - you can leave the head pipe as is most likely unless it has swung in toward the frame a bit - then you need to loosen the header bolts - do you have a new pipe to muffler gasket? - might be good to put a little high temp (like the copper) sealant there- as it will sure backfire, hard, if it's sucking air.

By the way let us know if the guts of yours starts to rattle, several folks here have had them do that - so the new ones might not be holding up as well as the old ones - if that is the case we need to post that here

hope you are going to do the carb work along with the Jardine.

IP Logged
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
Reply #2 - 08/10/07 at 02:19:19

I rejetted to 155 and spacer is at 1/3 to get ready for the jardine. I'm going to put in the K@N at the same time as the new pipe.

The gasket between header and pipe sounds like a good idea. I'll swing by the dealer to get one. If anyone has a TM I would not mind at all knowing the part number and would appreciate someone posting same here.

Where does one get the high temp sealer? At an auto parts store?

Great website I have been reading for the last year just now getting around to posting.

'06, TKAT fork brace, 1/3 spacer,155 main/55 pilot, K@N filter, Jardine, NGK irridium plug, Phillips MotoVision +40 orange hue bulb, windscreen, Hagon Shocks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/10/07 at 06:32:24

horseshoe_george wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Where does one get the high temp sealer? At an auto parts store?

Yeah, Autozone, NAPA, or pretty much any auto parts store.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 08/11/07 at 06:36:31

Although copper sealant and red sealants are good up to 500(°F) and 650(°F) and could do the job of sealing the header pipe to the muffler canister just fine, I think the products actually made for the muffler and tailpipe (frequently by the same companies) are better because they are “Temperature Resistance Typical Values Continuous" of 2000(°F)  ( 1093 °C)  

Permatex® Muffler & Tailpipe Sealer

Or a thicker putty
Permatex® Muffler & Tailpipe Putty

And a different brand, but I imagine it's heat resistent qualities are the same, they don't have a technical data listing that I know of: Bondo Tailpiple and Muffler Sealer

And, surprisingly enough, they are actually cheaper then the silicone sealants and liquid gaskets.  Somewhere between $1.99 and $2.99 at hardware stores.

IP Logged
SavageRichie
YaBB Newbies

The Devil Rides Out

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reply #5 - 08/11/07 at 14:36:17

Jardine is an excellent choice.  Easy slip on and mount. Be sure you have a good seal between header and Jardine.  Drop in a K&N filter. Shave white spacer down by half. Move main jet up to 150, maybe 152.5 pending sea level location, use irad plugs and she will smoke 883 sportys off the line.

Richie

99 Black Savage Bobber, steel forged by Suzuki, developed in Hell. Sinister, evil, and fathered by the devil.

99 Savage Bobber
73 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer
76 Suzuki TC100
82 Honda MB5
76 Z50 w
metrosrule3   IP Logged
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
Reply #6 - 08/11/07 at 18:13:03

Any recomendation on best place/website to buy iridium plugs for the savage?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/11/07 at 19:33:34

horseshoe_george wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Any recomendation on best place/website to buy iridium plugs for the savage?

Although this has nothing to do with this thread and really should be a question posted in the Marketplace.....

Here's one on eBay.
NGK Iridium spark plug DPR8EIX-9

Or directly from NGK
NGK Iridium spark plug DPR8EIX-9

Denso makes one also.  I found one here.
Denso Iridium Power IX24B

I've been using the NGK DPR8EIX-9 for a couple of years now and don't see a reason to change at this point.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 08/12/07 at 03:15:45

I have denso IX24B in KLX, the advantages are 0.4mm center electrode, U-grove and tapered cut earth electrode.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #9 - 08/12/07 at 10:35:43

so how do you like the jardine love mine got to rejet the carb again I blew the baffle out but it sounds great now Grin

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:25:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How "slip on" is the jardine muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.