Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice on Savage repair issue (Read 5 times)
Spydre
YaBB Newbies

Boston, MA
Advice on Savage repair issue
08/08/07 at 13:11:18

First off, I just wanted to say hi, since this is my first post.  I've been lurking here since I first got my Savage (1998) a few months ago.  Overall, my bike was in good condition with less than 4k miles on it.  This was until I let my girlfriend get on it when I was trying to show her how to ride it...

Basically, in first gear, with the clutch most of the way out (just slowly cruising along), she stopped and started to lose balance on the bike.  As she slowly started lowering it to the ground, she red lined the throttle for a good 5+ seconds before the bike shut itself off.  The good news is that for about 2-3 of those seconds, she had the clutch all the way in and only let go a little for the last couple seconds (but held the brakes).

When I stood the bike back up, it would start (reluctantly) with the choke out, but whenever I gave it any throttle, it would stall out and shut off.  I had it towed back to my place and waited a day as my friend said it might be the carburetor.  The next day, it reluctantly started up again, but let me give it some gas without shutting off, which was good.  I'm going to go home tonight and maybe try to go for a short ride on it to see if it will run properly.

Being someone who knows very little about mechanical maintenance of motorcycles or cars, I was wondering what everyone here thought and if it's probably safe to ride assuming it runs somewhat fine tonight.

Thanks a lot

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Advice on Savage repair issue
Reply #1 - 08/08/07 at 13:21:27

It kind of sounds like when your girlfriend laid it over that the carb flooded. By letting it sit for a while the fuel drained back to where it is supposed to be and that's why it fires up and runs when you give it throttle now.

This is just my opinion, others may be able to help you more. But as I see it at the moment I think you'll be fine.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 08/08/07 at 14:08:43

With the bike on it side multiple things happen.  Most are not good.  Lack of oil going thru the oil pump is of most concern.  Over rev'ing compounds the problem.  

Before you ride, check the oil level!!  Then watch and listen for anything unusual.  Smoke or knocking noises.  If you think is sounds ok at idle, then rev it a little and listen again.  If you think it is still sounding ok, try to go real short ride, "walking distance" just in case it stalls again.  If that goes good, increase distance.  

You should find a good mechanic to check it over.  A compression check maybe.

----------------------------------------------------------
Here's a tip for teaching a person to ride.  Have them go 1-2 feet and stop, over & over & over again.  This teaches how to stop (which is the most important thing!!), how to let go of the throttle and where the clutch engages.  After doing that a bunch of times increase distance to 10 feet and repeat, then 20 feet  then 50  etc etc.   Then have then try to start on slight incline (10 times in a row without stalling).

Then have them take your state's safety course!!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 08/08/07 at 15:25:21

Ditto on the safety course.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/08/07 at 15:43:53

I'm guessing carb too.  Probably just flooded.  If trouble continues, could be slide or float needle stuck.  Nothin' serious.  No worries.  Ride safe.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:26:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice on Savage repair issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.