Tires (Read 13 times)
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Tires
08/05/07 at 13:45:45

I've read some of the posts on tires and find that I may too need to buy some new ones. I've looked through a bunch of the sites listed and can't figure out which ones to buy and from whom. I have an 87'. Any ideas on brand, size, and where to buy em from? Thanks.b

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Tires
Reply #1 - 08/05/07 at 14:12:38

So many varibles.....

Brand:  Generally, a cheap tire will not last as long and/or not give as good traction.  If you do not ride much and do not push the edge of performance a cheap tire will do quite well.  However there are no really bad tires, just good tires and better tires.  I run Dunlop D404's, which I consider to be merely a good tire -- perfect for what I ask of it.  Others swear by their Metzelers -- when a company only makes motorcycle tires you can expect them to make the best.  You can even get wide white walls.

Size:  The S40/Savage stock sizes are  Front: 100/90-19 57H  and Rear: 140/80-15 67H.  Some tire manufacturers (such as Dunlop) do not make a 140/80-15 so they recommend their 140/90-15 tire for the Savage.  If you look at recommended rim width, a 130/90-15 tire would make a good replacement for the rear.

Where to Buy depends in part, on who will be installing the tire.  Local shops vary greatly in what they charge to mount a tire.  It may pay to order the tire from an independent M/C shop and have them mount it.  If you get on the net, be sure to price by the bottom line with shipping, handling, and tax.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/05/07 at 16:12:12

If you are fitting a rear tire, you can put a 140-90 15 on the back end without any modifications.  The slightly larger tire will cause a 1-2 mph shift on your speedo (neglible, really as that is less than the built-in speedo error and will counteract it) but the larger amount of wear rubber is certainly worth it.

Good tires cost around $110.  Dunlop makes good ones.  At one point in time Dunlop was discounting the CruiseMax line of premium cruiser tires and some of us stocked up on those 140-90 tires while the price was cut to the bone.

PM me if you would be interested in buying one of those discounted tires, I still have some that I will sell for $50 (you pay the shipping).

Oldfeller

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/05/07 at 16:15:36

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
 Some tire manufacturers (such as Dunlop) do not make a 140/80-15 so they recommend their 140/90-15 tire for the Savage.  

Is that recent? I put a Dunlop 140/80-15 K555 on the back of mine a few months ago.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/05/07 at 16:30:35

the d404's don't come in 140/80-15

WWW   IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/05/07 at 21:17:22

I would say just stick to factory specs unless your really just redoing the bike and customizing it.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 08/06/07 at 00:47:44

FrankieB wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I've read some of the posts on tires and find that I may too need to buy some new ones. I've looked through a bunch of the sites listed and can't figure out which ones to buy and from whom. I have an 87'. Any ideas on brand, size, and where to buy em from? Thanks.b

Come on natanelli,

Give us a bit more to work with: Your old 87 still on the original skins? How many miles? (Mostly just nosy and curious here, as I got an 87 with low miles and half rotten tires with under 4K original miles).

What kind of riding do you plan on doing? Town, Highway, back roads etc... What features are important to you? Maximum performance at speed; high mileage; budget?

Narrow it down a bit, and many people here can head you in the right direction. "I need tires" is a mighty broad question! Not trying to be harsh here, just want you to get useful quality info. Smiley

IP Logged
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Reply #7 - 08/06/07 at 10:58:21

Thanks for the responses. I'll check tonight to see what tires are on the bike. Unfortunately, I live in NYC and keep my bike upstate. I know that the bike hasn't been registered in 10-12 years so the tires are at least that old. It doesn't appear that anything aftermarket was done to the bike so I assume it has the stock tires. I'm basically gonna ride the bike a few times a month, no long trips. Mostly around town. That being said I'm not necessarily trying to pinch pennies, I don't mind buying good tires. I just don't want to get hosed. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 08/06/07 at 22:13:26

FrankieB wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Thanks for the responses. I'll check tonight to see what tires are on the bike. Unfortunately, I live in NYC and keep my bike upstate. I know that the bike hasn't been registered in 10-12 years so the tires are at least that old. It doesn't appear that anything aftermarket was done to the bike so I assume it has the stock tires. I'm basically gonna ride the bike a few times a month, no long trips. Mostly around town. That being said I'm not necessarily trying to pinch pennies, I don't mind buying good tires. I just don't want to get hosed. Thanks again.

Under your stated uses, I wouldn't recommend any expensive performance or touring tires. And no reason that I see to change your tires from the stock sizes of 130/80/15 rear, and 100/90/19 front. The bike's come with a special tire specifically made by IRC for the Savage.

But my personal opinion is that there are better tires to be had for the same or less money. I'm sure others will disagree, but I might recommend a cheap set of Cheng Shin tires in the stock sizes. You might get a set of them completely installed for a bit over $200. If you don't mind spending about $100 more, you can get the Dunlop D404 which is a very popular tire with Savage owners. However as previously mentioned, that tire doesn't come in the recommended size. As Paladin suggests: the 130/90 would make a very suitable substitute on the rear.

And the deal Oldfeller is offering you on the upscale Dunlop model is about unbeatable.

But, whatever you buy, if you buy elsewhere; then show up at a shop to have the tires installed, they will try to assure you that you "got hosed" and "bought the wrong tires" because you didn't buy from THEM! Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 08/06/07 at 22:33:27

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Under your stated uses, I wouldn't recommend any expensive performance or touring tires. And no reason that I see to change your tires from the stock sizes of 130/80/15 rear, and 100/90/19 front. The bike's come with a special tire specifically made by IRC for the Savage.

so far as I know the stock tire size is a 140/80/15 rear - this is a problem when looking for cheap...er... lower cost tires.

if you want likely the best (and really don't cost much more) the metzler me880's would last a long time, likely 15k miles or until they get cracks in the sidewalls.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 08/07/07 at 00:26:06

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
so far as I know the stock tire size is a 140/80/15 rear - this is a problem when looking for cheap...er... lower cost tires.

if you want likely the best (and really don't cost much more) the metzler me880's would last a long time, likely 15k miles or until they get cracks in the sidewalls.

Whooops... Dangit, I did it again... Grin That's not the first time I've misquoted that...

Anyways, here's a link where you can scroll down and see the "made for Savage" IRCs for sale:

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/tires/irc.asp

OUCH! I think I can get Dunlops for not much more locally.

IP Logged
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Reply #11 - 08/07/07 at 06:34:26

Thanks guys, I'm definately gonna weigh all my options here. I checked out the bike and here is what was on it right now:

Front: Formula 3.2 5H19 4 P.R
N-761 N-411-1U

Rear: Cheng Shin 130/90-15
M/C 66H CS HI-Max

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 08/07/07 at 13:05:52

Low road:
http://www.accwhse.com

$37.95 Cheng Shin C906 Himax 100/90H19 Tubeless Front Tire Mfg.#: TM78154

$42.95 Cheng Shin C907 Himax 130/90H15 Rear Tire Mfg.#: TM26521

(Plus about $9 each for tubes, plus about $25 shipping.)

If you find you wear them out in six months you're a riding fool and need Metzelers.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #13 - 08/07/07 at 15:22:34

I wrote in awhile ago about my experience and would like to pass it along.  I bought about 5 months ago an 86 Savage fitted with a Dunlop 140/90-15.  I enjoyed the tires since where I live there are roughly paved roads with a lot of bumps and some gravel and I found the tires worked well on the gravel.  I then found a gouge in the back tire and this site stated that there is a problem with tight clearance on the back tire.  An inner bolt had vibrated out and gouged the tire.
I replaced the same tire and since I removed the bolt thought there would be no problem (problem is on the left side tighter clearance).  Things have been great and the bike has been riding fine but stupidly I had not thought about this recently and I bought a helmet for my wife and she has been riding on the back and I started noticing some more peeling of the tire.  I also noticed that on the right side of the back fender there are acorn nuts and on the inside the bolt is not extending through but on the left side there are torx bolts extending through past the nut on the inside and beginning to score the tire.  Fortunately I think I have caught it in time.   Someone must have replaced the bolts on the left side that has created this situation.
I would suggest that if you go to this large size tire that you make sure all are stock nuts and bolts or are not protruding through to endanger the tire, and that all nuts and bolts in this area are torqued appropriately.
Can someone tell me if the nuts bolts on the back fender supposed to be acorn nuts and if you can order them from the dealerships?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #14 - 08/08/07 at 07:45:02

i like dunlop 404s, i've got them on both HDS and the suzuki, i think they are a great value, you'll get alot of miles out of them, but they aren't as sticky as metzlers. it depends on how you're going to ride.
http://www.mawonline.com/DUNLOP2.HTM#D404

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.