Here's the damage (Read 14 times)
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Here's the damage
08/07/07 at 12:54:05

So here's what I want done to my bike, a 1987 Suzuki Savage LS650P (mind you this bike hasn't been registered in 10+ years):

1. Oil Change = Will do myself
2. Front and Rear Brakes = Already did it myself
3. New Fork Seals = $150 labor + Parts
4. CHECK Cam Chain/Tensioner = $100 (like $360 if bad)
5. Inspection = $6
6. Spark Plugs = Will do myself
7. New Drive Belt = $130 parts, will do myself
8. Tank Flush = $40
9. New Dunlop 404 tires = $210 for tires and labor

Here's what sucks, every place I check wants approx. $60 A TIRE!!!! to balance and mount if I buy the tires myself online. It's gonna cost $100 just TO LOOK at the cam chain. If it needs work I'll get hosed for half of what the bike cost. Fork seals don't bother me so much. I know things like Fork Seals, Tires, and cam chain can be done. However, I think for safety's sake it might not be in my best interest. Do these figures sound normal?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Here's the damage
Reply #1 - 08/07/07 at 13:58:32

But for less than $20 in gaskets (for the engine and the exhaust) you can look at the cam chain yourself when you do your next oil change since you'll need to drain the oil to open the side cover.  Also, a used drive belt can be had for a lot less if you're so inclined.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/07/07 at 13:59:00

Of course do what ever you can your self, my specialty is the cam chain, so I'll speak to that alone.

If you did the brakes, you can check this yourself.  get clutch cover gasket, drain oil, take off brake pedal and peg, header and muff, and clutch cover.  If the plunger is out over 18mm it's time to replace.  See the tech section for detailed instructions.  About an hour's work to get at it.

This is good for a check, if you need to go further and replace the guides, then the head cover and or head must be taken off.  That's where the $360 cost goes for.

for the rear I just paid $67 +$12 +$22.  carry in, mounted and ballanced.

WWW   IP Logged
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Reply #3 - 08/08/07 at 12:47:12

Thanks for the info. I'll definatley check the Cam Chain myself then. If it needs it I'll try and shop around more for the best price.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:20:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Here's the damage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.