Mussolini1996
YaBB Newbies

After Every Dark
Night Comes A Bright
Day

Missoula, MT
Jetting
08/03/07 at 19:54:36

Ok so I put on a SuperTrapp slip-on with 8 discs a couple of weeks ago, desnorkeled my intake, and today I put in a K&N drop-in filter. I've asked  similar questions before, but I want to make sure and be very clear about the answers to these questions. So here goes and by the way it's  2003 Savage with 3700 miles now. I live in Montana, somewhat of a high altitude.

1. I know I need to upgrade the main and pilot jets to the next size up, what is the size, and what is the stock size??? Should I just purchase these at the dealer???

2. I cleaned the inside and outside of my SuperTrapp, (like the instructions stated) and even polished it before I installed it, but I already have some gold tone. I've only put about 100 miles on it. Is this normal, What else can I do to slow/stop this process.

3. Do I really need to remove the white spacer and put some washers in it's place???

4. I've adjusted my air/fuel mixture, so even with my exhaust, filter, and the desnorkel. I don't get the the backfire much at all, but I have noticed power hasn't increased much, I'm guessing when I change the jetting I will notice a power increase. Is this correct to assume.

5. How soon and often or do people at all run carb cleaner through their tanks???

All precise information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

2003/SuperTrapp With Open-End Cap/K&N Drop-In/55 Pilot Jet/Half of the White Spacer/155 Main Jet
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Jetting
Reply #1 - 08/03/07 at 20:21:18

1. stock is 145
2. To stop it from turning yellow increase the size of your jet.
3. Is it hesitating in midrange? no, then no.
4. you may.
5. once, about 6k miles ago, when needed.

Precise? what, you want me to whip out a calculator?

WWW   IP Logged
Mussolini1996
YaBB Newbies

After Every Dark
Night Comes A Bright
Day

Missoula, MT
Reply #2 - 08/03/07 at 20:57:43

So the stock main jet is 145, how about the pilot??? How much should I go up, based on around 4,000 - 5,000 elevation???

2003/SuperTrapp With Open-End Cap/K&N Drop-In/55 Pilot Jet/Half of the White Spacer/155 Main Jet
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/04/07 at 07:13:19

When you turn the "pilot air adjusting screw" in and out, does the engine respond?  Does the rpm increase and decrease?  Are you able to find a point where the rpm is maxed out?

EXAMPLE:  At 2 turns out  the rpm is maximized, and if turning in or out from that point the rpm decreases, then that is the best tuned point with the pilot jet that is installed.  If not, if you turn the adjusting screw out and out until you reach 3 turns out and the rpm is still increasing, then you need the next larger pilot jet.
If so, then install the next larger pilot jet and start the tuning of the adjuster screw all over again until you find the point where the rpm is maximized.

**Never go more than 3 turns out on the adjuster scew, the spring is not made to hold the screw securely when more than 3 turns out and the screw could fall out when riding.

This is all assuming that the carb is clean and fully functional inside.  If any of the passageways are dirty and clogged or any there is any damage to the carb then that has to be corrected first.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/04/07 at 11:05:36

I'm running a #150 main at 2400ft in the high desert, and I ride up to 9000ft.
I would start with a #150 and see if you get too much black smoke, if you do go to a #147.5.
Do the idle test that lancer explained to find the correct pilot jet.  Yours may be o.k.  I went even leaner than stock (#50)  on that one.
I think the spacer mod is important because it operates at the middle range, so if you are riding for several hours at say 60 or 70mph, this would be a long time to run lean and might hurt your engine.  Try a #4 nylon washer from ace hardware (available in black or white, same diff), they are .065" thick and make a 2/3 reduction.  If you find that it's no good, you will still have the full size stocker to go back too.
Your elevation and also the air temp and humidity strongly effect your jetting.  What you want is to get a good average for those variables.  Jetting is only perfect on perfectly average days.  

These pipes blue a lot.  If you ride up and down mountains, in hot and cold, humid and dry, you are going blue.  It can't be helped.  Flat Florida, with no real winter and mostly always humid, a savage pipe may not go blue.  

Mine's way blue!  But jetted properly.
Best of luck,

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 08/04/07 at 20:27:55

I'm of the opinion that you don't have to do both a pilot jet change AND the white washer mod.  IMO the white washer mod is done in lieu of re-jetting your pilot jet.

If you rejet before doing the white washer mod you will likely end up using a larger pilot jet, but the end result will be a properly jetted machine just the same.

A larger pilot jet (or doing the white washer mod) will increase the amount of gas getting in when decelerating, it will reduce the amount of backfiring the engine does when you let off the gas...  the main jet is what you want to increase for more power and better heat control.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 08/06/07 at 07:28:52

But you can still be lean in the midrange, which is controlled by the needle's position.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 08/06/07 at 10:03:07

Touché

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com