Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fat boy pipes (Read 10 times)
angthelaw
Ex Member

fat boy pipes
08/05/07 at 19:57:03

Hi All,

I'm new to motorcycling and I bought an '87 Savage in June. I've been checking out this forum since then and have found it to be very informative. My husband has a HD Fat Boy and Screamin' Eagle pipes on his bike, so we have his stock pipes in storage. I was wondering if the stock pipes would work on the Savage? And, if so, would any other modifications be necessary? My bike currently has Jardine pipes and sounds like a helicopter at takeoff. Smiley I don't think any other modifications have been made to it, but I can't say for sure.

Thanks for any help.

Angela

IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Re: fat boy pipes
Reply #1 - 08/05/07 at 21:08:05

ohhhh, good question, i hadnt thought of harly pipes. cant wait till someone posts you with some information.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/05/07 at 22:06:40

I don't believe the head pipe will work, but the muffler will and be different than the Jardine. It would be unusual, but possible for the sizes and angles to be correct on the head pipe.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #3 - 08/06/07 at 05:59:13

I think that "helicopter" sound is the big single. I don't think another muffler will make it different, other than making it either louder or more quiet.

WWW   IP Logged
angthelaw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/06/07 at 06:56:53

It's not so much the sound I'm concerned with--I just want a new set of pipes (I don't like the looks of the one on there now, plus it has some scratches on it) and if I can do that without having to make a purchase, all the better. If it changes the sound, I won't complain about that, either. But, my big concern here is will I need to make any carb modifications?

Thanks.

Angela

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #5 - 08/06/07 at 07:33:58

Ah, I see.

I think your 87' already came from the manu with bigger main jet. Might want to up your pilot jet to a 52.5 or 55.

I up'd mine (95') to a 55 pilot and 155 main after I installed my Jardine. helped a lot with backfiring and power.

According to this diagram, yours has a 47.5 stock. did you install the jardine? if not, the PO might have already stuck in a bigger pilot jet. was it backfiring much?

WWW   IP Logged
angthelaw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/06/07 at 09:09:47

Thanks for the info. I did not install the Jardine, so I don't know if any of the jets have been changed or not. I'll have to look into that. The bike does backfire a lot.

Angela

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #7 - 08/06/07 at 09:19:59

I'd say the bike is running lean, and/or has an exhaust leak. Make sure you get a new crush gasket for the header pipe/engine head junction when you put on the new exhaust,  put in a 52.5 or 55 pilot jet, and play with the idle mixture screw to richen up the mix.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:50:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fat boy pipes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.