Newbie....First Post (Read 6 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Newbie....First Post
Reply #15 - 08/03/07 at 19:11:06

T-Mack1

Just reread your post.....can you help me to understand the grabbing that you talked about.

Also will let you know how it feels tomorrow when I ride.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/05/07 at 21:31:42

welcome free spirit, clutches can get a little tighter after having a bike serviced. dont worry too much about it. Check all cables for freying, crushed-niss, or poor conections, also check the tention. And remember the more you ride the more your hands and forearms and wrists will be sore for a while. so just keep at it, im sure ull get used to it and forget all about it.

Welcome aboard. congradulations on a great purchus

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 08/06/07 at 07:48:38

By grabbing I mean that even though you have the lever pulled in, there is still a little bit of pressure on the clutch plates and the bike sort of wants to move.  

Now, I've seen people adjust their clutch so that it engages/grips/grabs (choose a word) close to the handle bar grips.  They do this because it is easier to hold for people with small hands.  Problem is some people go too far.

I have a simple test for grabbing but it requires you be able to balance an extremely slow moving bike (like the "go slow" races at bike meets).  Not always easy for a new rider so I'm not going to post here.  I don't want people tipping over and scratching their shiny bikes.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 08/06/07 at 08:47:23

Are you going to post it later in a no newby zone?

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 08/07/07 at 19:53:12

Hey guys,

Sorry I havent had time to get back sooner....but I rode my bike and it seemed ok except it seemed longer before it engaged,since the guy let it out all the way, so I tried to adjust it back in some.I read that when you do you need the notches(?) to line up and I couldnt get it to do that,so I left it alone for now.
Gosh this is so hard to describe when you are new and dont know the right words Smiley

But I should have had someone with me when I did it.Maybe I can get someone to come over and check it.
But I thought the little wheel thing and adjuster was suppose to turn seperately....they didnt.So I used a little WD-40 plus on the cable at lever. This helped some but not much on the adjuster.
Oh well,I'll just have to get someone to show me.

I'm glad I got to ride again and won't ride it alot until I check this.

But thank ya'll for all the info. It is helping me alot!

And I'm not quite as worried about things when I feel like I know more/understand and can learn to do some things myself.

But someone here said When you get it serviced the clutch can get a little tighter....why is this? Do they adjust the clutch? Questioning this because I'm Just trying to learn.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #20 - 08/07/07 at 19:59:55

yes,I've seen the" go slow" races at bike meets ,I know that's very hard,but would like to hear about the test Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/07/07 at 20:05:04

Hey Free,

The notches only have to line up if you are removing the cable.

If you're adjusting, they go where ever they want to.

I suppose what he meant was when they adjust the clutch cable they make it as short as possible so it seems tighter, but actualy it just grabing the clutch at a different spot when you pull the lever.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #22 - 08/07/07 at 21:00:28

I'll also try the feel of it tomorrow ,or whenever I have a chance to get back on it.(Working disturbs all my fun Smiley

I forgot to pay much attention on a flatter service but especially right before and as I came up my driveway(hill) I noticed the difference right away.Clutch engaging further out.

And then I'll try adjusting it more if it needs it.

But I still love my bike. I did at least make the right choice for a first bike Smiley It is perfect for me. And I love this group!

BTW I live in a Mountainous area with many,many curvy roads.....if anybody has any advice for a new rider/learner please give it Smiley

Thanks Guys for all the help!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #23 - 08/08/07 at 03:12:04

FreeSpirit,
  Talked to several people and they reminded me they teach the legs down walk forward at the safety courses.  
 So,   to test "grabbing" which could also be called "not totally separated clutch plates",  go to a flat empty parking lot.  With engine running, and clutch lever pulled in, push off and coast a bit.  The bike should roll to a stop in just a couple of parking spaces.   If the bike rolls more than it seems it should (5, 10, 15 parking spaces) or if it keeps rolling, then turn around and try test again in opposite direction, just in case you where going down hill.   If the bike still rolls too much, the clutch is not fully separating and you are getting some grabbing.

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #24 - 08/09/07 at 06:18:17

T-mack1

Ok, if that happens,or is the case , how would you fix that?
And If you had that problem,what would cause that?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #25 - 08/09/07 at 06:51:53

Easy fix,  just adjust the little do-dad at the lever so that clutch engages/disengages a little further out.

Can you see me scratching my head trying to remember if it needs to turn in or out.  It's turn it in.

---
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #26 - 08/09/07 at 19:36:33

Welcome aboard- enjoy your riding experience, makes the days seem so much better.  On a side note, I'm not sure about the wd-40 plus as basic wd-40 seems to gum up after a while.  Keep a eye out for cable lube next time you visit a bike shop..it'll impress the heck out of the guys.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #27 - 08/10/07 at 08:21:25

Ok, one more question.......

Is it better to have the clutch adjusted more out or more in(in to me being tighter).

Or is it better to have it kinda in the middle?

I'm laughing at myself.Because I'm half asleep from working night shift and I'm not sure if this even makes sense Smiley

I'm just trying to learn......but maybe I should get some sleep first and post later.

But I think this is basically what I want to know. If there is a answer to this question.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #28 - 08/10/07 at 20:29:10

Remember what a clutch does.  It links the engine to the transmission and also disconnects the engine from the tranny.

It is a series of plates that are squeezed together by springs.  Every other plate is attached to either the tranny or the engine. When you pull-in the lever, you are over-coming the spring tension and separate the plates.

So, the answer to your question is not a "better this than that" answer.    If adjusted too far out (not much pull to start the slipping to be able to shift) then after you get some wear on the bike & clutch plates it might start to slip, .... but boy oh boy, can you do the speed shifts......   If it's adjusted too far in then you might be not totally disengageing the engine from the tranny.  You may get a harder to shift tranny or grinding gears, and reduced clutch life,....but..... it is easier to hold in at the light......

I would like to say you need to find the compromise, but.... that's not true.  The Clutch has to clamp the plates together but also let them separate fully.

---
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #29 - 08/10/07 at 21:19:10

T-Mack1

Ok,perfect answer, I got it now!

Thanks Smiley

I think one reason I also got concerned was because I remember I burned my clutch out in my first Car with manual transmission. I think I was riding the clutch though,so mechanic said!....I was really young/16yo Smiley

I dont want to hurt my Motorcycle,so I want to learn as much as possible  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:23:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie....First Post

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.