Newbie....First Post (Read 6 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Newbie....First Post
07/31/07 at 02:35:57

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group,new to riding and have a new(to me) '02 Suzuki Savage (my first bike ever).

I have been reading your posts for hours and ya'll are so interesting and smart!

I have learned so much from just reading the posts here. I really appreciate this group!

I do have a question though and to me it sounds so dumb but I've thought about the problem and just can't figure it out,so I have to ask.(I apologize in advance,as this is my first post)and of course you'll see how little I know about some things Smiley

First I wanted to say.....The first time I got on my bike I felt like someone had made this bike just for me! Everything from previous owner was adjusted just right...to fit me.I instantly fell in Love with this bike.
Then,I noticed the back tire was worst than I thought so I decided to have a new tire put on and oil changed.
My question is.....I took my Bike to a sorta Motorcycle Repair guy.He said he changed the tire,adjusted my foot brake and changed the oil and checked my bike out for me.
Ok, then I let a friend of mine ride it home for me....I still havent gotten out on the Highway yet.
So,when I got on it.....it didnt feel like my bike anymore!!
Especially the clutch.....it is now so hard to hold in that the palm of my hand turns red and hurts!
I asked the guy what he did to the clutch and he said "Nothing"....so now I dont know what to do!
Does anyone have any suggestions or know what could have caused this? I know it sounds dumb but it is sooooo important to me to try to get it back like it was.
As a brand new rider I now feel uncomfortable on it,where before it was "Perfect" and very comfortable to me.

Thanks for any help,

FreeSpirit in Georgia

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Newbie....First Post
Reply #1 - 07/31/07 at 04:10:01

Ok,I just reread my post and it was way too long.
Basically what I would like to know is:

What could anyone have possibly done to change the clutch like that,or....

What can I now do to relax the clutch some? So its not so hard to hold in.(It was easy before)

Hope this is more clear.Its hard to word this though when youre new.

Thanks,FreeSpirit

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #2 - 07/31/07 at 04:50:02

Welcome Honey and do not feel any of your questions are dumb.  If it was not for this site and the help I have gotten I would still be 'wondering in the wilderness'.  Sorry I don't have an answer for your clutch problem but you will soon have some.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 07/31/07 at 08:26:10

FreeSpirit,
   From what was listed as being fixed, there shouldn't have been anything close to the clutch linkages to cause a problem, but.....  the bike had to be lifted to support the weight while the back wheel was off.    Not sure what was used and if the bike was braced so it would not topple over.  

First, you need to understand what causes clutch stiffness.  In cable driven linkages, it's normally pinched cables, dirty cables or bent levers.  It can also be crushed cables.

-The cable should have smooth bents with long radius's.  You should not seen any kinks/angles.  

- At the handlebar lever, make sure the cable is in the adjuster correctly.  My 2001 has a rubber boot that can be slipped back to reveal this adjuster.  The cable sheath (outer cover) should be in the adjuster end.  There's a depression there.  The cable wire should be in the center of the adjuster and not rubbing the slot that is used to remove the cable.

- At the engine side, the cable sheath should also be in the depression and the wire should not be rubbing the slot.

- The lever on the side of the engine should not be rubbing anything.  The cable wire's barrel end should be centered in the holder.

- Next,  You may want to take some lubricant and lube the cable wire where in goes into the sheath (both sides).  They make special lubes for this, or you can use regular motor oil, or some WD40 can work too.

Let us know if any of these solve you issue.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/31/07 at 09:22:37

I'm sure that this is not the case, but being new to motorcycles people can get confused. If your using the front brake thinking it's the clutch it will be hard to pull in and will hurt your hand, so just making sure your using the clutch on the left and not the front brake.

JakeB

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 07/31/07 at 09:55:55

T-Mack1

Thanks for all that info! I will use that and try to get someone to check my bike for me.

Since I am new to having a Motorcycle of my own and not having ever needed a MC mechanic before I didnt have a good one picked out beforehand.....thinking I'd have time to find a good one before I needed anything.

So I'm in the process of doing that now.

I don't know how most women are about their motorcycles but I am super particular about mine....reminds me of how most guys are Smiley

So I'm trying to learn all I can about them.And this group is so good ,I'm glad I found ya'll !

Thanks again and I will check the cables and be looking for a Great mechanic also near me so I won't worry so much when I have to leave it somewhere.

I'll let ya'll know when/if I figure out what's wrong with it!But a kinked cable  could be it!

FreeSpirit

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #6 - 07/31/07 at 17:06:05

Welcome to the boards.  Stay away from any posts that are about helmets.............dangerous waters  Wink

Using the clutch does take some getting used to and you have to build up some hand strength.  Recommend gloves with gel palms.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 08/01/07 at 03:02:33

Thanks Baldeagle for your very kind comments and helping me not feel so dumb as a new person to all this  Smiley

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 08/01/07 at 05:08:17

FreeSpirit,

Welcome to the forum.

Stick with it and you will figure out what the problem is. Most likely it was something that happened either by accident or design at the mechanic's. T-mack1 had several good suggestions. Let us know when you figure it out or if you have more questions. Forrest had a good suggestion also. While it probably doesn't apply to your immediate situation, strengthening your hands can make long rides easier to do.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/01/07 at 05:56:15

Welcome aboard!  I think the above comments on looking for a bent/crushed cable are a good place to start.  Lubing the cables is always a good idea too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #10 - 08/01/07 at 17:52:25

If for some reason the seat is not on properly, it will feel different. Even a little change in angle can do this.

It could also be that the clutch was slightly moved to a different postion when you had work done on it.  Check to see if the clutch lever angle is the same as the brake lever.  The tension is adjustable - check your manual when that comes in for exactly how to. Or just keep reading here...its bound to turn up!  Wink

Ride safe, and let us know how you fare!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #11 - 08/01/07 at 18:36:24

Thanks ya'll !!

I'm making notes to take with me tomorrow.....the guy that worked on my bike has now said he will look over it tomorrow for me!

I'm going to be there though when he does!! and watching him Smiley I hope he finds the problem and I will have my list with me.

I'm also going to go meet another mechanic that people have recommended,they said the guy has worked on bikes for years and was the best. He lives in my town and that's good since I cant go far yet Sad

I wish it was this time next year,I had one years riding experience,and had my first long trip planned out!!

But I'll be happy just to get the clutch fixed for now.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #12 - 08/03/07 at 08:03:30

Well,the only thing I can say is "It was a Last Time at that (same)mechanic"
(Not a good experience at all)

He jerked back the rubber boot, adjusted the cable as fast as he could ,as far out as he could.(very arrogantly)
Told me he couldnt lubricate the clutch cable unless he took it off the bike completely and gave me no answers to the problem.
He was just very rude.
(BTW,he says he rides a  Harley .) But I've never seen another bike there at all.

So I'm glad I have a Savage....it seems only nice people ride a Savage Smiley

I decided though to not let it get to me,to just find a good mechanic and chalk it up as good (and last)experience,to be more particular who I take my bike to. And know that the problem can be fixed even if he couldnt do it.

I hope I can say all that without going against the rules here!
If not it will be 2 bad experiences in 2 days! and 2 lessons learned Smiley

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 08/03/07 at 09:35:28

FreeSpirit,
   Did the clutch work any better after he adjusted it??   Also, watch for where it engages!!!!!!  

Clutch has to :1) disengage engine from transmission when pulled in.  If not, and you get grabbing when you think it's disengaged, and you could have  "Hard to shift" problems.   2) The visa-versa on the other side of adjustment, when let out, it has to fully engage engine to tranny.  Slippage here would wear out clutch prematurely and could also cause some unexpected "hi rev's" on  a hard acceleration.  

And yes, don't you hate people that have no concept of customer service.  Or, just doing a job to get it done and not caring if it's done right.    Don't they realize that if you do the job right, it won't be back to get corrected.  And with that extra time, they can do more paying customers and make more money.   And the extra new customers because of the refferals.....  oops, starting to rant & rave, sorry.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #14 - 08/03/07 at 18:58:01

T-Mack 1,

To be honest I have been working so many hours,I havent ridden it yet.But very glad to get it home (A friend of mine rode it home for me,but she's not use to Savages,as far as the sound,feel,etc.So she said)

But off work tomorrow and will see how it does.

I read your post and even though I understand part of it not sure I completely understand every thing Smiley Could be due to lack of sleep SmileyWhen I get some sleep I will probably understand more.

I will try to get someone else to check it for me also and see what they think.A friend and his wife from a local club is suppose to come over Sunday.

While I was there though he didnt touch the other end of the cable,just at the lever/grip.

I did like your almost rant and rave though Smiley I needed that.
I don't think he would have been that mean to a man ...he's not much bigger than me Smiley

I do appreciate any advice  because even if I dont understand all of it,it does start fitting together.

Are you basically talking about the adjustment at the lever.....too much slack or too tight....causing the clutch to slip,wear out ,etc.or is there more  that I'm not getting right now ?
Sorry,need sleep Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:26:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie....First Post

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.