Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Straight Pipe (Read 25 times)
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Straight Pipe
07/30/07 at 11:33:07

Well, My slipon Jardine isn't holding up too well. The rivets are all loose and rattling, and it is getting pitted and discolored.

I can't afford another slip on. I like the Jardine because it's louder than hell, and would like to keep it as loud... or louder. . Has anyone put on an unbaffled straight pipe? I'm thinking about going down to the local autosupply and buying some cheap exhaust pipe and welding it on. Just wondering on ya'lls opinions on back pressure, power, etc. Anything I could do to make it work? Thanks in advance.

Tim

WWW   IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Re: Straight Pipe
Reply #1 - 07/30/07 at 12:46:57

Pull the rivets (one at a time of course) and re-rivet them nice and tight again, then give the whole muffler body a quick sanding down and then paint it flat black with BBQ paint...

You could tape up the header pipe too, to match it in color and make it look ‘finished’ again.

Of course, if you like and want chrome, my suggestion isn’t going to appeal to you very much  Tongue

EDIT:
If you did strap on a staight pipe, you could try to fill it with a baffle and/or internal mufflerfiller yourself to make some back pressure for tuning and maybe just quiet enough that not every cop for 2 miles around you can hear it...

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #2 - 07/30/07 at 13:18:10

Thanks. I like the look of the straight pipe, how it's just slightly fatter than the header, almost unnoticeable. Like this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10111/s-10101/p-100000143735/...

Maybe I could get one of those internal baffles in it. How much do you think it'd quiet it down though, I likem loud! haha

WWW   IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #3 - 07/30/07 at 16:37:14

I had a JC fish tail straight pipe on for about 5 k miles. Without a  baffle you will have no top end. I started with  bolting in the JC two row beer can baffle, worked fine, fast and REAL loud, too much for me. I put in a 6 row baffle and another one with a wavy steel mesh in it. The sound was great, a nice putt-putt and a good snarl at speed.

However the metal got weak from so much heat and I pooped them both out the back end last week. I ordered a JC turn out with a baffle already welded in,
I'll see how that goes.

I would get H-D clamp rather that weld, Harley doesn't make much that I like but that clamp is a real piece of machinery.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/30/07 at 22:44:43

I'm in the middle of doing mine as we speak, I got a piece of 2" pipe from my local muffler shop 2 feet long,
cost $5 that included a slight bend to keep it away from my break lever ,and tapering it down to fit the header pipe,I sent away for a baffle insert ,looks like a small round cheese grater about a foot long,it's held in by one bolt,cost $18 + $6 S&H ,I tried it out and it sounded great ,and if you use your throttle wisely you can quieten it down quite a bit while in town or passing
cops,I will take it in to get chromed next week ,cost $65.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #5 - 07/31/07 at 06:05:49

Hey Mick, are you talking about a baffle like this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CAT...

or this one:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10111/s-10101/p-100000143738/...

I also found this turnout muffler w/ a baffle in it:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10111/s-10101/p-100000144050/...

What do ya'll think of those? I'm really liking the short 13" turnout up in my first post, but I'd have to add a baffle. The turnout in this post is 16" with a baffle, so maybe that'd be the way to go. Whatchu guys think?

WWW   IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #6 - 07/31/07 at 08:34:23

The first one shown is what I started with, very loud, but the metal is cheap and will probably soften and come out after a while, so plan for that.

The last one, the turnout is what I ordered last Fri. it might be here this week. I have no idea what it sounds like, but will let you know asap.

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #7 - 07/31/07 at 09:33:18

Hey,

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10111/s-10101/p-100000142660/...

This is the pipe I bought to put on my 87, I put it directly on the head pipe and didn't like the sound at all so I took the baffle out and I still didn't like it. I found the longer the exhuast is the lower the tone it has which sounds much better IMO. So I ended up hacking up one of my dad's old python's from his harley and ended up with a much better sound. Also bought the small baffle from JCW and have that in the current exhaust. So if you want to use one of the shorter pipes I suggest getting a pipe made to go between the muffler and the head pipe to lengthen to whole thing.

JakeB

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 07/31/07 at 11:33:07

Holodeck wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The first one shown is what I started with, very loud, but the metal is cheap and will probably soften and come out after a while, so plan for that.

The last one, the turnout is what I ordered last Fri. it might be here this week. I have no idea what it sounds like, but will let you know asap.

Hey Holodeck, what did you do with your old extended fishtail?

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #9 - 07/31/07 at 16:44:52

Hey Holodeck, what did you do with your old extended fishtail?  

I'm going to find another set of baffles like I had and have them welded into the fish tail, then I will look into having a ceramic job done.

I liked the look and loved the sound but the problem was the single wall contruction, it blued, burned and flaked off  the chrome. I tryed Blue Jobing it but it became a lost cause.

I will try the turnout for a while and see.

IMO the best part of a motorbike is the sound, and a big single is the best of the bunch. ( with the right muffler )

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 07/31/07 at 17:13:32

Just put on my straight exhaust. I welded a washer on to a 1/4 inch thumb screw then drilled a hole in the bottom of my turndown tip. Using two 1/4 inch lock nuts I can position the washer in the 2 inch pipe baffling the sound and it is adjustable. Wrapped my header in heat wrap and lost the heat shields (too heavy). Havnt had a chance to fire it up yet but ill keep ya posted.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/31/07 at 20:46:39

Yeah five points,
        It is like the top one except mine is at least a foot long and the slots are smaller

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #12 - 08/01/07 at 19:32:05

Got the JCW turnout in the mail today, The fit and finish was fine.

The sound was ok, low thump like an old time Harley, mid was a bhraaaat, and ended in a good snarl, but was a little too loud for me, and I think the police.

I am going to try some baffles, and will report back.

IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #13 - 08/04/07 at 20:09:28

I removed the stock exhaust cause it's too heavy and tried riding with just the header. It was so loud the neighborhood hated me. Not that I care. I welded an 18" piece of pipe of the header (2") and the sound was awesome. You could still hear me about 10 blocks away, and my dog refused to get on the bike anymore. I'm going to try a weld in baffle to make a bit less loud. Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 08/04/07 at 20:19:38

If you check the Dennis Kirk clearance store on ebay, there are frequently straight pipe sets for Harley's that can be had for dirt cheap at times.  Sometimes they are just slipons and at other times they are the full head-to end system, which could be cut to make whatever you want.
Also, most of them have removeable baffles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:26:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight Pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.