first question (Read 7 times)
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
first question
08/03/07 at 11:53:07

i recently aquired an 87 savage for the princely sum of $300, knowing full well it had some issues. it's a really nice bike with 14000 miles on it. the po said that he could ride it for a day and then the next it wouldn't start, unless he changed the spark plug, which would be covered in black soot. after getting the bike, and putting about 50 or so miles on it, nothing happened, the next day started and ran fine, other than some black smoke at times. now i believe it is a cam chain issue as there are some noises coming from that area. my question is, should i go to the local stealership to try and get a new chain and tensioner or is there somewhere online to get it cheaper? sorry so long winded. oh yeah it wouldn't start today

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: first question
Reply #1 - 08/03/07 at 13:19:48

I wondered why "what's that noise" was your moto.

Cam chains run about $70 on line, $40 for the rear tensioner guide and $40 for the adjuster.  You'll need a gasket for the clutch cover $9

If I were you, I'd take off the clutch cover and check it out.  If you're careful, you can reuse the gasket, just put some sealer on the gasket around the oil path.  

If the adjuster is sticking out more than 18mm or has fallen out, then you'll know what to do.  otherwise you're just guessing.  Look in the tech section for instructions on cam chain replacement.  and the marketplace for replacement adjusters.

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 08/03/07 at 23:04:29

this will (should) be a motor out of the bike project, so it might be a good idea to go ahead and get a gsket kit and do some preventative maintanence on the bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/04/07 at 00:20:28

first thing on your shopping list should be a clymers or zuki shop manual.  Not easy to get the head cover off when its still in the frame but it can be done.

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 08/04/07 at 16:48:35

i ordered a cd manual for my bike yesterday. soon as it gets here i'm planning on the teardown to inspect anyway.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:32:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.