Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Out of Curiosity - S40 vs Savage (Read 355 times)
Scottler

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saratoga County, NY
Out of Curiosity - S40 vs Savage
03/16/09 at 18:30:52

Sorry if this has been asked previously - I didn't see it.

Side by side, what are the differences, if any, between the S40 and the Savage?  Both in tech specs and in dimensions?

The reason I ask is because as the weather starts to get warmer, and my mind is starting to think about riding again this season, I'm browsing through photos of various Savages and S40s, and seeing lots of mods I like, but don't know which would fit my Savage.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Out of Curiosity - S40 vs Savage
Reply #1 - 03/16/09 at 18:48:05

The only real difference between the Savage and the S40 is the name. Except the 80s models which have 4 speed gear boxes while later models have 5 speeds.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Scottler

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saratoga County, NY
Reply #2 - 03/16/09 at 18:57:42

That's  pretty much what I'd thought - but not being super motor-savvy, I figured it didn't hurt to double check.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #3 - 03/16/09 at 21:10:09

Doesnt the S40 not have a sissy seat? i keep seeing them without 'em

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #4 - 03/16/09 at 21:34:05

Savage Eddie wrote on 03/16/09 at 21:10:09:
Doesnt the S40 not have a sissy seat? i keep seeing them without 'em

My wife's '06 S40 has no sissy bar, and the seat is a one-piece unit.  The seat is also narrower than the 80's-era Savage.

IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/16/09 at 21:40:16

well here is what i saw the differences were when was shopping for the two for my wife.

savage has a two piece seat.
s40 has a one piece seat.

savage has a different pattern on the seat. they have a smooth seat & have lines going across it (although i did see some 2003's that have a rough top).
s40 has a rough like top on the seat. (i don't really know how to describe it, other than saying "rough top")

savage doesn't have a handlebar riser just like a handlebar clamp & has buckhorn bars.
s40 has about a 5 inch handlebar riser & a t bar.

savage has different fender rails which the sissy bar goes into and a sissy bar.
s40 has different fender rails and no sissy bar.

savage has a savage sticker on the tank.
s40 has the boulevard emblems on the tank & s40 emblems on the side covers.

and i noticed that the s40 has these little black tabs on the front forks. i don't really know what they are...

other than that i don't think there is much of a difference.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 03/17/09 at 06:11:23

The "Little Black Tabs" are guards to keep stones from dinging the fork sliders. They are replacements for the fork boots that should have been installed.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 03/17/09 at 07:18:51

The following were all plucked off of this forum at one time or another.

1.      The plug leak was fixed in 2002.
2.      The 2005 had a few styling changes & some like the seat better but some don't like the drag bars as much as the pullbacks on earlier models.
3.      The 2005 or later have the latest changes like auto shutoff of the headlight during starting. On the left side there is a switch that you push to flick the high beam on to let a cager know you are there.
4.      The 2005-07 still have the 5 speed but different gearing so you have lot more acceleration, but less top end for highway cruising
5.      On the 2006+ the Gel-Seat is an option and not stock.
6.      Been told that they improved the counter balance to reduce vibration.
7.      1991 Introduction of 5 speed gearbox. 1996 Beefed up starter gears with limiter
9.      If at some time in the future you might be considering aftermarket shocks know this:  The shock posts on the frames of the Savage are a different size (diameter) than those on the S40. The Savage has smaller shock posts and lower bolt mounts. On some aftermarket shocks, i.e. the Hagon, the bushings for the Savage are lined with a steel sleeve, however the S40 Hagon bushings are just rubber and have no sleeve.  This is due to the wider (in diameter) shock mounts on the S40 (even though the stock S40 shock bushings are sleeved they are too big to transfer to the Hagons).  

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 03/17/09 at 09:07:35

savage doesn't have a handlebar riser just like a handlebar clamp & has buckhorn bars.
s40 has about a 5 inch handlebar riser & a t bar

The Savage came with both sets of bars.When ordering,such as cables you have to know if it's a (F)flat bars aka drag bars or a (P)pullback aka buckhorns

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/17/09 at 11:43:53

Mr. Hyde wrote on 03/17/09 at 07:18:51:
9.      If at some time in the future you might be considering aftermarket shocks know this:  The shock posts on the frames of the Savage are a different size (diameter) than those on the S40. The Savage has smaller shock posts and lower bolt mounts.

Interesting   Huh
I checked a couple of vendors, one had the same p/n for all years for the lower shock mount bolt.  Another had a different p/n only for 2009.
Personally, I think it's illogical.

WWW   IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/19/09 at 20:54:18

Mr. Hyde wrote on 03/17/09 at 07:18:51:
The following were all plucked off of this forum at one time or another.

1.      The plug leak was fixed in 2002.
2.      The 2005 had a few styling changes & some like the seat better but some don't like the drag bars as much as the pullbacks on earlier models.
3.      The 2005 or later have the latest changes like auto shutoff of the headlight during starting. On the left side there is a switch that you push to flick the high beam on to let a cager know you are there.
4.      The 2005-07 still have the 5 speed but different gearing so you have lot more acceleration, but less top end for highway cruising
5.      On the 2006+ the Gel-Seat is an option and not stock.
6.      Been told that they improved the counter balance to reduce vibration.
7.      1991 Introduction of 5 speed gearbox. 1996 Beefed up starter gears with limiter
9.      If at some time in the future you might be considering aftermarket shocks know this:  The shock posts on the frames of the Savage are a different size (diameter) than those on the S40. The Savage has smaller shock posts and lower bolt mounts. On some aftermarket shocks, i.e. the Hagon, the bushings for the Savage are lined with a steel sleeve, however the S40 Hagon bushings are just rubber and have no sleeve.  This is due to the wider (in diameter) shock mounts on the S40 (even though the stock S40 shock bushings are sleeved they are too big to transfer to the Hagons).  

What limiter exactly?  Rev limiter?  Top speed limiter?  And can this be bypassed easily or should I just source a 95 and older cdi/black box?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/19/09 at 22:03:45

That's a starter limiter, you want to limit that? don't use it.

WWW   IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/28/16 at 23:34:12

Old topic,
Question,
Is there a difference in performance between the two models, aside from the older model having taller gears?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/29/16 at 03:34:49

MeeLee wrote on 01/28/16 at 23:34:12:
Old topic,
Question,
Is there a difference in performance between the two models, aside from the older model having taller gears?

Piston, head, cylinder, valves, cams, etc.....no changes. The early rockers were made one piece.....somewhere around 2005 the rockers got a hardened wear surface applied.  Some changes in color from silver to black.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:29:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Out of Curiosity - S40 vs Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.