forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Re: Gas mileage question
Reply #30 - 08/10/07 at 16:10:19

07 with apx 4k and I get apx 65 with a combo 50mph the stop and go traffic

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #31 - 08/10/07 at 17:57:29

Gotta problem with the wrist so I'm getting around 50mpg mixed driving in traffic and highway. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #32 - 08/10/07 at 18:42:21

My last two tanks were 52.5 and 56.3 - Have done the carb mods and have a SuperTrapp installed.  Have about 3200 miles on the bike.  Have just bought an iridium plug.  Think I will change it out and see what happens.  My riding is conservative and mostly on Maine twisty windies at 55-60 MPH.  Love to hear that old thumper sing as I accelerate out of the corners, so my mileage may be suffering somewhat.

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #33 - 08/10/07 at 19:10:44

Many years ago I was driving a '67 Triumph Spitfire -- a tiny sports car, 1300cc, twin SUs.  Hard, abusively hard, tore the rear end out twice hard -- and I still got 30+ mpg.  Once, for two full tankfuls, I drove nicely -- no WOT, no redlining every gear.  Boring.  Fall asleep at the wheel boring.  I had to be crazy to do it boring.    Got a whomping 32 mpg.  ARRGH!!  Figured it just wasn't worth it.  I've enjoyed driving/riding hard ever since.

Nowadays, I'm riding about 500 miles a month, largely because my 4 mile one-way commute just doesn't add many miles.  At 45 mpg and $2.80/gal that costs me   $31.11 a month in gasoline.  IF I rode nicely I might be able to get that up to 55 mpg and lower the tab to $25.45.   Riding balls to the wall pedal to the metal costs me less than twenty cents a day.  

Sure beats a $2 cup of coffee for a morning wakeup.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 08/11/07 at 06:12:14

Paladin is right. There's no better entertainment dollar spent than those "wasted" on gas by hard riding.
You have all seen me whine about the MPG I was getting from the 650. I handed the bike to my daughter, dropped the main jet back to a 150 & now she gets 56 riding around town. It still slightly soots the brake actuator & only rarely gives a light pop on decel, so, even tho it has a cam from Lancer in it & a Supertrapp with 14 disks & a K&N drop in & has been desnorkelled, it doesn't seem too lean. I know Reelthing said( & I don't blame him) "You are runnin a One Fitty? " But, I tried the larger jets & all it did was soot things up & burn gas,,

SKATNBC, I see no one has answered your question. I wish I had a clue what to tell ya. There are guys here who I'll bet can help, but you may need to single them out with instant messaging. I think they will need details, like, how much soot is in the pipe?  If it's a white ash & theres almost nothing to get on a finger, it's not running rich. Maybe it needs made more efficient by allowing more intake flow? I dunno, It wouldnt have taken me 6 months to jet the carb if I had a clue. Good luck, we should all be getting enough MPG to get 100 miles before hunting gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #35 - 08/11/07 at 08:49:47

Coming home from work last night, I hit reserve at 127 miles.  This comes out to be 55.something MPG.  My tank hits reserve at 2.3 gallons.  I ride approximately 12 miles round trip to work with a lot of stop and go traffic and about 3 miles of 55-60 MPH.  My 06 is 100% stock

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 08/11/07 at 16:23:07

thanks to all of you for the info. it appears im in the general ball park of ok with 55-65mpg depending.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #37 - 08/17/07 at 03:57:13

Update with my latest fill-up (my LS is bone stock BTW);
Again mostly highway & secondary by-way Riding, little stop n' go with speeds between 40 & 60mph ... 150km (93.2mi) for 6.2 liters (1.64 US Gal.) = 57 mpg

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #38 - 08/17/07 at 08:45:41

My reserve seems to have changed lately.  

Last month I was filling up with 2.1 or 2.15 gallons at the pump without hitting reserve yet on the bike tank.

Yesterday though I hit reserve while on the highway, pulled into the gas station and could only put 1.9 gallons in the tank and it was full already?  Why did I need reserve already?  

Can the tube get knocked around in the tank and move it's level entry hole?  Does the outdoor temperature really affect how much gas you can put in the tank?  (it was really hot when I was only able to put 1.9 gallons in...)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 08/17/07 at 08:54:31

You may have some junk in the tank clogging up the filter.  Drain the tank, pull the pec0ck out and clean out the screen.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #40 - 08/17/07 at 08:58:21

On a just rebuilt engine, 0.5mm oversize piston, also did the "white spacer" mod.

First tank: 39.5 mpg
Second tank: 39.9 mpg
Third tank: 40.9 mpg

Still need to tweak the carb as I might have the air screw too rich, and would like to upgrade mainjet as the bike still has the stock '01 "145".  Thinking going to 150 in the set I got from Lancer.  (got a 150, 152.5 & a 155).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #41 - 08/17/07 at 09:01:05

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You may have some junk in the tank clogging up the filter.  Drain the tank, pull the pec0ck out and clean out the screen.

D'oH, I was afraid somone would say that  :'(

Wink

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #42 - 08/17/07 at 09:04:10

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
On a just rebuilt engine, 0.5mm oversize piston, also did the "white spacer" mod.

First tank: 39.5 mpg
Second tank: 39.9 mpg
Third tank: 40.9 mpg

since you haven't changed the Main yet, I don't know why your gas mileage would be that bad.  

How does it sound when it's running?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #43 - 08/17/07 at 09:15:41

Don't have another Savage to compare to.  I think it sounds ok at idle. I was able to adjust the air screw to both too lean and too rich conditions.  I have a Tach so tried to get max RPM.  I think I'll go back to the half way between too lean & too rich method.

Driving down the road, well........  it doesn't sound like the '82 Honda CM250C or the '71 Honda CL175 that I use to own.  Might be a small roughness to it.  A buddy of mine said that a too, too lean condition will also affects mileage because the fuel to air mixture is not optimun and the engine actually works more.  Any thoughts on that??

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
wmtrash1998
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #44 - 08/17/07 at 09:18:46

My 03 gets about 50 MPG no matter how I drive.  Its pretty much stock.  I will in the future add a Supertrap muffler, K&N airfilter and a rejet.  I'm anxious to see how the mods will affect mileage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:13:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas mileage question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.