Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
question about tool kit (Read 12 times)
met347
Ex Member

question about tool kit
07/23/07 at 18:46:29

can anyone tell me what the brass spring loaded cylinder that came with the tool kit with my 06 S40 is for?  thanks!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: question about tool kit
Reply #1 - 07/23/07 at 19:12:06

Belt tension gauge.  Owner's Manual explains how to use.  Many on this forum don't like this tool.  Mine works pretty good if I cheat a little toward the loose side.

Someone else will post up with a suggestion of how to set the belt tension without using the gauge.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/23/07 at 19:23:27

Heres the way most of us do it. I have one of those brass spring loaded things & dont use it. Now, here goes.

Put the bike in gear & back it up to draw the top side tight & put all the slack in the bottom of the belt. Try to twist the belt at the 1/2 way point between fron & rear pulleys. If you can get a 90 degree twist in it without working at it, okay. If not, loosen it a bit, till ya can. There it is. I am not stout & I can do it, so, if you cant, its too tight.( Or, well,, naaah, no reason to go insulting a guy... ) Once you get the belt adjusted so it doesnt squeak so much & you are happy, you could stick that brass tension gauge uop there & mark it so you can easily reproduce the tension setting on the belt.

(Uh huhh, I just thot of that & I am gonna do it)

IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 07/25/07 at 05:36:24

Since were questioning items in the tool kit...my '07 came without a spark plug wrench of any sort.  How about yours?  Don't they include this anymore?

Thanks.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 07/25/07 at 05:48:45

SpeedyG wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Since were questioning items in the tool kit...my '07 came without a spark plug wrench of any sort.  How about yours?  Don't they include this anymore?

Thanks.

my 06 has one, check owners man see if it mentions plug gap.if so go back to dealer tell them your wrench is missing..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/25/07 at 09:38:37

You gotta pull the plug to do the valves. You need a plug wrench no matter what. I cant find a regular socket that will do the job. It takes a real thin wall to get there.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 07/25/07 at 14:35:34

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
You gotta pull the plug to do the valves. You need a plug wrench no matter what. I cant find a regular socket that will do the job. It takes a real thin wall to get there.

only place my owners man. mentions valves is in the maint. chart..no clearances given..plug gap is shown..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/25/07 at 18:01:38

valves are .003 to .005 inches. PLug> Heckidunno.. I try to set intake on .003 & exhaust .004.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 07/25/07 at 18:55:19

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
valves are .003 to .005 inches. PLug> Heckidunno.. I try to set intake on .003 & exhaust .004.

plug  (06 model with ngk dpr8ea-9).031 -.035 in..
dont think owner adjusted valves are warranty covered
or the specs would be in the owners man..(ssm has all the specs)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/26/07 at 01:49:09

I gues if ya mess it up & burn it up, no, but as long as ya do it right, thers no hassle. If you can demonstrate you know what you are doing, then how can they void a warranty? I can demonstrate my ability to adjust the valves. If you can do it, then who CARES if you wear a Suzuki shirt?

But, that aside, does this mean he shouldnt have gotten a plug wrench in his tool kit?

Owners manuals dont have everythng in them that an owner needs, get a shop manual. My Honda owners manual doesnt explain HOW to do an oil change, but oil changes are required & its okay for owners to do them, Gotta get a shop manual to learn How to change the oil, but that doesnt void the warranty. I dont LOOK for ways I can abdicate my power to live my life to others. I LOOK for ways to claim my rights.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 07/26/07 at 03:35:10

Sears sells a thin wall spark plug socket that fits our spark plugs and is tall enough and thin enough to do the job.  If your Sears doesn't have it go to NAPA or other good auto parts store and they will likely have what you need.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 07/26/07 at 05:44:11

There's an 18mm sparkplug tool about 2/3 of the way down this page that works well.  $5 + shipping.

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/tools.htm

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 07/26/07 at 11:05:22

Thanks for the info guys.  FYI:  I asked a friend who has a new Honda VLX and she said the tool kit included with it doesn't have one either.  Has almost nothing.  I guess this is the manufacturers way to save a few bucks now.  

Think I'll get one ordered and not bother with fooling with the dealer for now.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/26/07 at 16:53:58

A phone call is about free. I would at least tell them I expect one. I got one. Maybe you could offer to trade them that wurfless Peeese O crap tensioner thing for one.

IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 07/30/07 at 16:45:35

Justin,

Called the dealer today and they said the spark plug wrench is no longer included with the tool kit.  

Got me wondering if they were just putting me off, so I called the Suzuki Inc. number.  They said it depends on which bike you got and how your Owner's Manual reads.  If it reads only "disconnect the spark plug lead wire and remove the plug" without mentioning using a spark plug wrench, you no longer get a wrench included.  He said they were re-writing some of the manuals now and not including the wrench anymore with some models.  

Told him that didn't make any sense to me since you cannot possibly even get the plug out to check it without a spark plug wrench.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:17:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question about tool kit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.