Send Topic Print
carboned plug (Read 5 times)
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
carboned plug
07/21/07 at 16:37:28

I have written before about this and want to get some more feedback.  My 1986 Savage would not start and my mechanic found that the plug had carboned up, not badly but was covered with black carbon and so it stopped the spark.  She replaced the pilot jet and the main jet , I believe with a 142.5.
The Savage also would not start after about 3 months of use and I changed the plug and it started and runs well except for a pop when I turn it off.  My mechanic suggested getting a new carburetor for the Savage and I have not been able to find one on the net.  I noticed that Lancer has available a kit which would upgrade the bike with a new carburetor and increase the power and am wondering if this is the way to go  .  I am waiting for a new, I believe it is a K and N filter which could solve the problem and possible I could adjust the float to lower the amount of gas that comes into the float chamber.
If I went to the improved kit (I imagine I would have to change my muffler also) would it be hard on the age of my engine?  It has only 11,000 miles on it and from a previous owner's records last year has over 160#'s compression.
I have recently added to the gas tank a "Fitch Fuel Catalyst" which so far seems to have raised my miles per gallon from 64 to above 68.  I was also hoping that I might help with the carboning of my plug.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
DocNeedles.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: carboned plug
Reply #1 - 07/21/07 at 17:48:17

to solve the pop on turn off, turn your pilot screw 1/4 turn CCW.  This will richen the idle fuel/air ratio a bit.  And when I did this it reduced the Kapow that I had to a puff.

The K&N air filter will lean out your carb some, you may have to up a size or if you have a rich setting (black carboned plug) now may make just right.

My '96 (which I bought used) came with a 145.  Now I have a 150 because I installed a supertrapp muffler.

I'd like to hear more on your "fitch fuel catalyst"

One thing I'd reccommend, only change one thing at a time or you'll be confused with the results.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #2 - 07/21/07 at 20:18:47

Thanks for the advice.  I will try just one thing at a time.  Since I have just started using the Fitch, I am monitoring my gas consumption for awhile.  The bike does seem to run smoother  and have more power but it might just be my imagination.  My mpg is using the Imperial gallon and not the US gallon.  I will keep all informed.  Interesting website and info on the Fitch.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #3 - 07/22/07 at 12:21:30

142.5 is way to small in a 1986 Savage.  Stock was a 155 main.

You have a new carb on that thing?  If you don't, have her maybe change it back to a 155 or 152.5 and check your float needle valve.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 19:20:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carboned plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.