Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tip for removing fork protectors (Read 12 times)
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Tip for removing fork protectors
07/20/07 at 19:49:36

Hi All...

Just received my Tkat brace and of course needed to remove the plastic/nylon fork protectors. This technique worked slick as a whistle and won't damage the fork. Take a 6-8 inch piece of hardwood (fairly narrow) and place it at an angle against the bottom of the protector. Take a hammer and  hit the wooden piece (use good solid hits) and work your way around the protector as you see it start to move upward (toward the steering tree). It will slide onto the smaller diameter upper tube and makes it easy to cut it with a pair of side cutter pliers without the danger of scratching the forks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Tip for removing fork protectors
Reply #1 - 07/20/07 at 19:55:02

For the impatient, a woodchisel will part that dude in a flash & once the surface is compromised it breaks without the need to cut it thru. Just dont smack it hard. A few light taps will, uhhh, okay, I'm gonna do it. A few light taps will cut it.

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #2 - 07/20/07 at 20:56:05

I just used a cutting blade really carefully so I didn't scratch the fork tubes. Worked real easy.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #3 - 07/21/07 at 04:30:42

I thought about a chisel, box cutter and Dremel but being a somewhat patient soul, the few extra minutes seemed to be worth the effort. A slip with a piece of wood doesn't leave a scratch that would (no pun intended) drive me crazy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/21/07 at 08:19:15

Don't we have fun? I particularly enjoy your tag line about the mediocre & their best.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 06:55:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tip for removing fork protectors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.