Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vibration (Read 11 times)
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Vibration
07/14/07 at 05:17:52

Bike is 06 s40 I got this bike with 2000 miles on it and is the first  1 lunger nice bike but have a gremlin I'm looking for. At about 48mph up to 60 there is a vibration which not only do you feel you almost can hear it. I've had both tires check for trueness and balance. Done my best to check belt tension and alinment of rear wheel to frame. Now I've run the bike up to this speed in 3rd and 4th the vibration comes in sooner so I'm thinking engine speed. At a speed of 55 if I let off thottle and pull in clutch allowing to coast down there is no vibration..Is this a normal vibration for this engine? I've heard this engine has a balance shaft. But will not remove all the vibrations due to singal fireing pulse. If this is a normal condition so be it. If it is not I would like to fix it befor It grnades. I would like to add all externel bolts have been retorqued. Any help ? Thanks to you all.
           Have a great ride today&every day
Viper

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: Vibration
Reply #1 - 07/14/07 at 06:41:47

Something is definately very wrong. My 06 has 3500 miles on it, bought it new, it has never had vibration. My mirror at night is as clear as can be through the whole RPM range. You said you bought it used. Maybe that is why someone sold it. I hope you didn't pay a lot. It sounds like you will be tearing down a motor. Good luck!!   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #2 - 07/14/07 at 09:46:43

??? If you have had all external bolts retorqued and the vibration is still as bad as you say, I agree with Hutch....there is a problem.  I also have an 06 with 5800 miles that I bought new, and my mirrors may not be as steady as Hutch says his is, but the vibration has no affect on them at all, and I can see through them with no problem at night.  The truth is that my 06 is smoother than sum twins I have had. Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/14/07 at 09:53:37

Whatcha need to do is meet up with another Savage Rider and swap rides to see if the two bikes feel somewhat the same or if one of them is noticibly different.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 07/14/07 at 10:32:40

Paladin's idea is a good one; because "vibration" is a relative thing in relation to what bikes a rider is previously familiar with. If all you've ever ridden are super smooth multi cylinder bikes, then the Savage seems to shake like a paint mixer. However, if you were used to a Norton or Harley, which also shake considerably; then the Savage is within the realm of normal to you. I've had experience riding all kinds of bikes, and actually considering its displacement and single cylinder, the Savage is a remarkably smooth machine. But still, my brother asks how I can ride more than 30 minutes without my hands going numb, which has never happened to me regardless of ride time.

Hope you're vibration is normal, as there are several very bad things it could be. Like the counter balancer about to launch itself through the crankcase, which has happened to a few folk with catastrophic results. You do need to figure this one out ASAP!

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/14/07 at 15:01:25

As you all have mentioned mirrors are steady on your bikes so are mine at 55 they are clear with no shake. I do have access to a dyno I guess I'll have to give that a try and see if we can pin down the vibration. Now if any body lives in North east Pa. Forest City/Carbondale area leave a message I'll be more than happy to try another bike.  I did call a couple of dealers to see if they had any s40s I was going to road test one. But only 1 had one and you can only drive it on there lot.
Thanks again for your help
Viper

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/14/07 at 22:13:30

Well,, maybe the throttle will stick a bit & the thing will just run off the lot down the block one time before you are able to rein it in & turn it around. You know how these wildly overpowered bikes can just get away from a guy.. wink, wink, nudge nudge

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - 07/15/07 at 06:28:23

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Well,, maybe the throttle will stick a bit & the thing will just run off the lot down the block one time before you are able to rein it in & turn it around. You know how these wildly overpowered bikes can just get away from a guy.. wink, wink, nudge nudge

Sounds like a plan to me!!!!      Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #8 - 08/04/07 at 17:22:17

Just posted on another thread about a vibration I had on an '02 with 2300 miles on it. Could hear and feel the vibration at approx 55-60 in 5th, and at approx the same RPM in the other gears. Turned out it was the bolts holding the exhast pipe bracket to the head. Bolts had come loose. I was suprised that I did feel the vibration in the frame (ie. foot pegs and hand grips). Once the bolts were retightened, no more vibration / rattle.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/04/07 at 17:29:06

paladins idea is a good one. check the map and see if anyone is near you and would like to take a ride with ya to see the difference. I have a 95 and im impressed with how smooth she rides compared to my buddies harley. never had a problem with the mirrors aside from one comming lose on me. But if you ride another presons you very well may find that there isnt a problem.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 08/06/07 at 11:35:28

Viper,
   Emmaus, Pa (just south of Allentown).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:15:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vibration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.