Send Topic Print
Tire Pressures` (Read 2 times)
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Tire Pressures`
07/13/07 at 13:31:33

Old tire pressure discussion I found

Been thinking about my bike's gas mileage and how it sucks.  found this thread on a fluke, and it seems to make sense.  The thing is, the last time I aired my tires to the bike's neck recommendations, it was scary wierd to ride.  Felt like the rear tire was made of grease and wasn't tracking right, to boot.

Now, I'm a tall, skinny SOB.  6'3, 155#(maybe).  Should I maybe soften my shocks up a lot, put the recommended pressure in, and try it that way?  

Bear in mind, this is my first bike, so I really don't have a lot of experience in knowing how it "should" feel.

But 37-43mpg isn't quite right.  And I do use a bit of extra oil.

I'm putting a new front tire on, along with new fork seals and boots, this weekend.  I'm hoping that will clear up a lot of the drift I felt like I was getting.  

Planning on a fork brace, but..."if you want god to laugh, just tell him all your plans."  Hopefully that will all be cleared up with a new job.

New tire is hot as heck.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Tire Pressures`
Reply #1 - 07/14/07 at 01:17:45

How you set your shock's spring preload and tire pressures depends a lot on personal tastes, within limits. My personal preference is for the suspension to be set as soft as possible without bottoming out under whatever riding conditions I'm dealing with.

Unfortunately at 250+ pounds, I usually have to set shocks at or near the highest preload to keep them from bottoming on smaller bikes (Including my Savages). As for tire pressures, I usually prefer just a couple of pounds less than the highest recommended pressure marked on the sidewall. That is a good starting place for me. From there, I might let a bit of air out of either tire as the hardness of the ride, and handling feel permit. I generally don't like to have ANY sensation of a tire squirming, or sidewall flexing on street tires. I want a firm solid feel, just shy of hard and harsh. On dirt bikes, it is a whole different game depending on the surface you're riding on.

BTW, why such an aggressive tread for a front tire on the Savage? That tire looks like it belongs on a trials bike or some kind of dirt tracker. What exacly is it?

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #2 - 07/14/07 at 06:39:29

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
BTW, why such an aggressive tread for a front tire on the Savage? That tire looks like it belongs on a trials bike or some kind of dirt tracker. What exacly is it?

I have dirt bike grips and love Mad Max.  I plan on using this Enduro tire up front to make the savage look inappropriately hard@ssed.  Car tire on the rear to make it look post-apocalyptic(have to wait to wear my current Dunlop out).  And my mohawk should really just set it all off.

It's a Kenda K761.  80% on road, 20% off road.  

As for the pressures, I think that the issue I had with higher pressures was wholly related to the rear wheel alignment and shock pre-load.  I'm going to have to fiddle around with that junk and figure out where it needs to be for me, like you said.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 07/15/07 at 13:57:27

Thanks. I just asked about that front tire, because I like the looks of it too. Looks like tires found on some of the "adventure tour" bikes like the Buell Ulysses.

But I've found that there are almost no dual-purpose tires available for the 15" rear rim on the Savage.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #4 - 07/15/07 at 16:28:08

I found the same thing in my search of the internet.  Nothing is available, so far as I could find.  You can, however, get cool whitewall street and all-season tires in 145-15s.

I'm hoping it will be as cool as it is in my head.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 22:05:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Pressures`

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.