Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About to purchase, need some answers please (Read 4 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

About to purchase, need some answers please
07/14/07 at 16:12:23

I am about to purchase a 1986 Savage (tomorrow) and I have a few questions to ask.

I am going to go pick it up tomorrow but have agreed to purchase only after I can hear it run (stopped by to look at it and it's super clean).  It has a salvage title which obviously made me a little suspicious, but the seller is very open and explained to me that the frame is from an 86' but is not sure where the engine is from.  I have the serial number from the engine.  Is there anywhere to determine where it's from?  

I noticed a small oil leak on the very top left side of the engine.  I'm hoping it is just the gasket going bad or the bolts not torqued properly but what else could it be?

Is there anything that I should be looking for, mechanically, when examining the bike?  I have been a rider for about 5years and work on all my bikes so i know, basically, what to look for, but i'm wondering what specific problems the Savage may be have and what signs to look for.

Pictures of the bike can be seen here:
http://www.toddlampone.com/pictures/motorcycles/ls650/

I will also want to change out the muffler asap, and get saddle bags.  I read something about HD mufflers but would like to know specifically what to look for.  Also, are there any type of saddle bags in particular to buy?

Thanks.  I look forward to spending a lot of time here.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Re: About to purchase, need some answers please
Reply #1 - 07/14/07 at 16:53:14

Sure looks pretty clean, better than my 96 was when I bought it. Especially the aluminum side covers. Seats too.

Don't know about the Salvage title, some one else might know more.

That oil leak could be a valve cover gasket, breather hose, or maybe the famous plug/cap leak.
see - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

I notice the header is not blue at all, Low mileage?  The carb may have the large stock jets from 86 in it.

I did a HD turnout on mine, bolts up to stock bracket using a short 7 inch extention and 10 inch heat shield

more info here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

And welcome to the site Todd, great bunch of folks here!
smokey

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 07/14/07 at 16:58:30

Thanks for the welcome.

The seller is claiming that it runs fine but has idleing issues.  I have yet to hear it start and plan to do that tomorrow.  It was actually the seller that mentioned the engine is most likely not from an 86.  It seems too clean to be 21yrs old, but I guess anything is possible.  The cosmetics look great.  They're even better in person.  All of these facts point to a machine pieced together from different donors and thus the salvage title.  

I'm still trying to find out what the engine's serial number means so that I can tell what year it came from.  It is a 4 spd, but i'm sure all those pieces can be from most any Savage since they haven't changed much and still mount up to the 4 spd.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 07/14/07 at 23:41:26

That looks like the infamous plug/cap leak.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 07/15/07 at 00:36:49

Since it is still 4-speed, even if it is a mix-n-match parts bike, hence requiring the salvage title; only some top end parts might be from anything newer than the old 80s version. More likely two 80s bikes mixed together into one good one. I have a hard time imagining finding a 90s> jug and head to put on the 4-speed bottom and trans, but it is possible.

It does look good. Better looking condition than my 87 with only 7k miles, and about as nice as my 28k mile 99 model.

But do be aware that oil leaks around the head/header area are a tip off to the old "cap plug" leak as you were already warned. Not a deal killer if the leak isn't that bad, and the bike is cheap enough for its condition. My 87 has developed the "cap plug" leak since I've owned it, but it leaks so little volume of oil that it could be kept on the road for who knows how long before I would HAVE to fix it. It is annoying at long stop lights if there is no breeze and more than a little oil smoke rises up around you though.

Also be aware of the "salvage" title laws and problems from state to state differ greatly. I understand Texas has done away with them, but here in Okiezakistan they can be a real hassle.

Welcome and good luck with it!

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/15/07 at 04:54:19

Thanks.  I have read about the cap leak and figured that it's pretty much an inevitable problem and one to expect when purchasing the Savage.  The deal is for $500 so, as far as i'm concerned, it's a no brainer so long as I don't hear and weird (unexpected) noises.  He said he's been riding it for nearly 2 years and the leak has been there most of the time and never gotten worse.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/15/07 at 08:28:18

$500.00!!?? Wowzaas! What a deal. You could scrap it out & make $$.
Did I see chrome flaking off the front wheel? If so, that was the only place I saw that was less than real good on the whole bike. The seat even looks well maintained, not all old & cracked looking.

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #7 - 07/15/07 at 10:11:59

toddlamp8, I am not sure what state you are from but as Rockin_John said you may run into a hassle with the salvage title. There is a lady that post here that ran into a mess trying to get a title from FL.

Bikemom28

"Unfrotunaltlly in the state of florida you cannot title any to ride it if it been deemed a salvage title."

I am pretty sure that she ended up parting out the bike. May want to check your state laws first

~Strafford_Guy~

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/15/07 at 10:39:39

That's not the reason she parted it out.
She couldn't get the holder of the title to sign it over.
I'm guessing it was in the name of the x and whoever sold anyway.
Bikemom should've checked that before she bought.
So should you.  Go down to the dmv and ask if it's clear.
That's what I did.

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 07/15/07 at 18:31:21

I have a valid Virginia title and going to transfer tomorrow.  I'm fairly certain that Maryland is ok with salvage titles but thanks for the heads up.

Well I brought the bike home today and it's is awesome condition!  I took a closer look at the engine and I believe that the oil leaking is the cap/plug leak but it seems to be very  very slow.

The discoloration you see on the front wheel is actually grime.  I saw that too and it comes off and there is a shiny wheel underneath.  There are some performance issues that I will post in a separate thread.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:32:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › About to purchase, need some answers please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.