Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jockey Shift? (Read 27 times)
FollyRob
Ex Member

Jockey Shift?
07/10/07 at 14:41:42

I am currently in the process of stripping down my bike and turning it into a mean dirty bobber. I've got the straight-thru exhaust with the classic tape. Whitewall tires on the way. No signals, big apes, almost everything that a dirty bobber needs except for one thing. A classic jockey shift with a suicide clutch. I know that some of ya'll have done it or are thinking about doing it, but what I want to know is where are the pictures? Can you hook us up with some pics of your jockey set-up and maybe a how-to? I haven't ever done a mod like this and want to know what parts I'll need, what I'll need to keep in consideration, and of course how to do it! Post away, inquiring minds want to know!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Jockey Shift?
Reply #1 - 07/10/07 at 15:14:35

hutch did one.  his is on the tank

I will eventually get around to doing one using the left side pass peg hole to mount it.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: Jockey Shift?
Reply #2 - 07/11/07 at 09:01:53

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
hutch did one.  his is on the tank

Folly, It is real simple to make. I used the 2 horn mount holes and the reflector mount hole. I made a base to bolt to those three holes out of mild plate steel. I used a modified Triumph brake pedal with the end cut off and replaced with a hunting knife handle of mine. You can pick up different length after market Harley shift linkages with heim joints or make your own and add the heim joints. I cut the stock end of the shifter off the Savage and welded on a piece of 1" solid round stock that I drilled and tapped out to accept an aftermarket (custom)Harley shifter toe peg. You have to be real precise in the linkage length or the handle will hit your knee or be to far forward to be comfortable. You can make the whole thing from scratch if you want, with the right bends. I just happened to have a bunch of broken stuff I made mine from. If you put in a search for  "suicide shift on Savage" buy hutch, you should be able to see how mine looks. You might have to word the search a little different, cause I can't remember exactly how I worded it. Go back for about 250 days and you should find it. With mine you can shift with the suicide or with your foot. I haven't used a clutch to shift for years(truck driver for years) I just use it at stop lights to take off and shift with rpms after that. If you haven't shifted without a clutch before, it will get easy with a little practice. I have never tore up a tranny in 40+ years and the clutch cable last forever. Have fun and get imaginative with your shifter.   Hutch
I just went back and checked. It was Jan 14th and is worded like I said. Have fun!!!

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:28:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jockey Shift?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.