Bigger Headlight (Read 188 times)
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Bigger Headlight
07/10/07 at 08:38:12

I wanted to be seen, so switched to an 9 inch headlight from a XV920.

Before:

Yellow clip on balloon on a Narva +50

Mounted high, I think I have room for a bigger horn underneath it.

All Done, It actually blocks more of the wind.

« Last Edit: 11/22/12 at 23:33:47 by verslagen1 »  

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Bigger Headlight
Reply #1 - 07/10/07 at 10:07:16

Shocked wow!!! That's a freakin' wicked headlight!! They'll see ya clear cross the county now man! Awesome mod ... way to go! Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 07/10/07 at 10:09:21

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Shocked wow!!! That's a freakin' wicked headlight!! They'll see ya clear cross the county now man! Awesome mod ... way to go! Grin

They will only see him temporarily though, they will see him and then they will be blind for 3 seconds !  Grin

Nice Job on the Mod.  Wink

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 07/10/07 at 11:04:20

Whew! That's not a headlight! That's a # 2 wash bucket with a glass lid!  Shocked You can really light up the nightime sky with the "Bat Signal" with that spotlight!  Cheesy
Did the fork mounts come with the light? Nice job. I can't get over how massive that light looks on the Savage. It is way cool.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #4 - 07/10/07 at 16:32:58

The fork mounts came from JPCycles, they are for 36mm forks but I had to round them out a bit with a leather hammer and some assorted sockets to make them fit on the 38mm forks. changed the bolts to 1 1/4 x 1/4 x 20 button head hex stainless steel. Also got stainless for the sides of the headlight. This bucket has large holes at the bottom rear, all the cables that were in the original fit right inside it. It holds the same H4 bulb and yellow clip on balloon.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/10/07 at 17:38:12

Smokey that's one of the coolest mods I've seen. Looks great. Awhile back I tried a 7" JC Whitney headlight & after several tries I came up with with semi-workable homemade mounts. Then I decided I wanted a bigger light. Undecided  Sure improved the vision at night though.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #6 - 07/12/07 at 22:41:49

I got the chance to ride tonight in the dark, I was amazed at the amount of light from the low beam. Its the same bulb as before, but it puts out a huge wide swath of light across the front. Suddenly I can really see all the rocks and junk on the pavement. I'm liking it.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/13/07 at 11:21:20

You need a warning sign on the front of your bike...

Objects appear bigger in your mirror CAUSE THEY ARE!

In reverse lettering of course   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #8 - 07/13/07 at 15:22:46

I think the light is a warning, I've already seen a couple of pedestrians step out on the street and then jump back, the large light must make them think I'm much closer. Same thing with a few cars on cross streets up ahead that have plenty of room to pull out in front of me, they start to pull out, then suddenly hit the brakes and wait for me. In a world of blue and white lights, this big yellow one gets noticed. I'm wondering if I should go to a modulator and see if I can stop traffic altogether.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #9 - 07/13/07 at 15:44:50

I think I'm going to get one of those to make my crotch look smaller.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #10 - 08/24/07 at 20:21:31

That is WAY COOL!!!
How do those light mounts go on??
The clamp onto the frame or did you need to weld it?
How about the wiring? It's higher up than the old one, did you have enough or did you need to redo the wiring?
If I'm going to get a new bucket a bigger one does make more sense!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 08/25/07 at 17:40:24

Light mounts just clamp on. JP Cycles, JC Whitney, etc have them, black, chrome or brushed aluminum.

His is mounted like mine, plenty of wire length. I run a 7" English style version...

That pic is on my old VN800A Kawi, I put that light and the same brackets on the Savage when I sold the Vulcan.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 08/25/07 at 17:53:28

Where did you get your 7" light? Also at Whitney?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 08/25/07 at 19:09:31

Nope, a local shop I used to work at. They have them in chrome, flat black with chrome ring, and faux carbon fiber. They also carry a Lucas knock-off that is spot on for a Triumph, BSA, Norton or similar bike original equipment light.

That set up is pricey...

Bucket: $69.95
Lens: $49.95
Mounts: $14.95-29.95 depending on style/finish
Bulb: $8.95-29.95 depending on color/intensity

None of that is with shipping. And most of the bucket kits are defective, missing the lens retainer clips. I went through 60 packages before I found one that was right. Worth it though...I used to like 5.75" bottom mount headlights, not anymore. These are infinitely better for looks, adjustability, focus, visibility...

Whitney probably has them. Same company makes them, Emgo. Cheap Taiwanese materials, wax is your friend.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #14 - 08/27/07 at 02:21:30

Thanks WD!
I think I will need to save up for that modification!!!
Had no idea it would be so much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:18:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bigger Headlight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.