Speedo Moving (Read 4 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Speedo Moving
07/06/07 at 09:23:05

I remember seeing a pic here where someone had moved the entire speedometer unit and  had it fixed to the bars or the risers.  I would like to do this too as I hate looking down at the speedo and if I leave the turn signal on  I don't really notice it flashing until long after I should have turned it off. Does anyone have any knowledge of how to do this with the stock speedo?.  Also
what cable would I need to connect it back up ?  thanks in advance
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Speedo Moving
Reply #1 - 07/06/07 at 11:23:28

They were probably pix of my speedo conversion. There's a few threads and explanations on how to do it on here.

A quick re-cap though for the hunting challenged. The cable I used is a tach cable off of an older three cyl. Suzuki model. Got it in a bike salvage yard. It's plenty long enough to get the speedo about anywhere you want to take it. Just pull the cable out of the sleeve, clean it really well and then put it back in and apply a goodly amount of motor oil to the inside of the sleeve for lubrication. That's what worked for me.

For a housing I had the choice of spending $45.00 or more for a store bought case OR . . . . I went to the local chain hardware store (Menards) and went through the PVC pipe section. I found a PVC pipe coupling sleeve that is a near perfect fit for the speedo. A couple layer wraps of duct tape and the speedo stays nicely snug without being too tight to adjust or remove. Next I got a PVC pipe end cap that was the same diameter as the pipe coupler and cut most of the pipe part off leaving just the slightly domed end to act as the back cover for the speedo housing.

I bent the two metal tabs that hold the speedo into it's stock mount on the tank, drilled a hole in each end and used them to bolt through the end cap to hold everything in place. Cut a notch in the bottom for the cable to run through and you're in business. I used a 1" C-clamp with the nut ends inside the case to mount to the handle bars.

Oh yeah, rough sand the PVC parts and spray paint with your favorite color of paint designed to stick to plastic. I did a rough finish charcoal grey that looks pretty good, almost black and doesn't show road grime to much.

I put the surround from the tank top with the turn signal lights and what have you and put it on the front of the new case with the speedo going through it. Just like on the tank, only with the lights on the bottom. Remember to reverse the signal lights so they blink on the correct side. The light wiring creates a big bundle that gets in the way of the C-clamp to the bars which makes it a little difficult to keep the speedo straight upright. A longer C-clamp would probably solve that problem, but I've not gotten back to it yet to see.

Okay, so it's not a short re-cap. Clear enough?

Jack

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #2 - 07/06/07 at 13:30:59

Thanks

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 07/07/07 at 00:49:50

Jack_650... I just wish we could pin down exactly what 3-cylinder Suzuki the salvaged tachometer cable came from...

How many triples did Suzuki make besides the old Water Buffalo? I don't remember a bunch.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #4 - 07/07/07 at 01:09:20

Hmmm, my bud had a 380 GT, 6-speed, I think they did like a 550 GT(?)

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 03:55:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedo Moving

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.