Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weatherproofing Widder Electric Vest Terminals (Read 86 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Weatherproofing Widder Electric Vest Terminals
07/05/07 at 20:33:16

For those of you with a Widder female electrical connector on your bike:

If used in wet or dusty conditions and not plugged into a male connector, the Widder connectors can get dirty inside the contacts.

I found a solution to this problem:

The little rubber "worms" are sections of 4mm (about 5/32") o-ring I had laying around. I secured the ends with a small zip-tie (near the base of the connector). When I want to plug in a vest or my battery charger, I just pull the rubber strings out of the connector. The zip-tie keeps them from falling off.

Keeps the connector clean.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Weatherproofing Widder Electric Vest Terminals
Reply #1 - 01/17/10 at 17:44:43

If you want to use this method, I've located a source for raw material that will probably be cheaper than buying o-rings and then cutting them up:

Applied.com

You can buy o-ring cord here. The prices weren't posted when I made this entry, but the Buna-N and Neoprene were pretty cheap. The Viton is best for this application, but it is spendy.

Neoprene is more desirable than Buna-N in this application, but Buna-N will do (my supplier was unable to source any Neoprene o-ring cord when I placed an order a few weeks ago).

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:49:59

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Weatherproofing Widder Electric Vest Terminals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.