Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bought a '96 for the wife.... (Read 2 times)
Slug_Ascot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Bought a '96 for the wife....
07/01/07 at 16:10:12

Well folks, I played a game on ebay and lost, or should I say won.   I bought it on a whim as I thought I'd get out bid at the last second.  In my opinion I bid too much, but it looked so clean in the photos, I figured it would go for more than my bid.  But the fact remains that I did indeed win the auction, so we're off on a road trip to pick it up on Monday (tomorrow).  About 6 hrs, round trip.
Is there anything thing about this model year ('96) that I should know?  Or the nineties models in general?  
My wife has not had nor ridden a bike of her own, so for now the stock set-up will suit her for awhile.  Anything I should take special note of, before I hand my money over?
Slug

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bought a '96 for the wife....
Reply #1 - 07/01/07 at 16:39:36

When I bought my '96 there were so many things I didn't know about and the PO (a woman) just kinda shrugged about.  Stupid little things like how do you check the oil, what's that tick, how come the tool box doesn't lock, where's this, what's that?

If the bikes not looked after, it sheds parts.  Most likely it won't have a owners manual, do a search it's here.  Or upload it if you get one.  I would like to know whats different between a 2002 and a 1996.

Most likely you'll need to do cam chain service at 20k miles.  Take the ad with you and nail him for everything not disclosed.  Dents, worn out tires, expired battery, faded paint, tick, etc.

That being said, love mine.

WWW   IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/02/07 at 09:02:32

I bought my '96 knowing it was in pieces on this guys storage shed floor and had been that way for over 5 years.  It looked terrible.  So bad that my wife wanted to back out of the purchase at the last minute.  Well, cooler heads (mine) prevailed and we bought it anyway for only $650.  It took a couple months and a few hundred $ but she runs great now.  and only has 8100 miles on her.  Now if I could just figure out how to make the seat so that my butt doesn't go numb after 15 minutes and start to throb after 30 minutes, I will be very happy.

I would say to make sure that the tires, especially, are as described in the auction.....not just tread depth, but look close for cupping of the front and for any tiny dry-rot cracks.  A new set of good tires ain't cheap.  I got lucky and mine had a brand new set of Metzler 880's put on it just before it was "stored."  I had them checked at my bike place and they are in fine condition, so I'm good for a while.

IP Logged
Slug_Ascot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/02/07 at 20:43:25

Well we got home with it tonight and couldn't be happier with it.  Sitting in the garage with the lights on, it looks brand new, except the tires.  The front is weather checked on the side walls and the rear is just plain bald.   One small dent on the lower left side of the tank, that was disclosed by PO, but has to be looked for to be seen.  You were right, it doesn't have an owners manual, but those are easy enough to get.   Fit and finish are good, all covers are there, locks work.  Runs pretty decent, but it doesn't sound anything like my KLR 650, but then again it's not supposed to.  Only down side that was pointed out by the PO was that the owner before him drilled out the end of the tail pipe and the PO (that I got it from) didn't like the loud pipe so he had someone weld up the holes, to restore the original sound of the pipe.  And that's okay by me, as I'll probably get an after market pipe and upgrade jets eventually.  All in all it was a pretty good buying experience.  I still paid more than book value for a '96, but on the other hand it has less than 8K on the odometer, and it looks like it, too.  The seller was upfront as I could hope for.  My wife really likes this bike as the tank tappers in more as it nears the seat.  Awhile back I had her sit on a new one (S-40) at the dealers, and she said at that time she didn't like the tank being so squared off in the back.  Said it made her hold her legs in an uncomfortable position.  
Thanks for the replies and happy motoring,
Slug

IP Logged
Slug_Ascot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/02/07 at 20:46:37

Oh yea, what I thought would be a 6 hour round trip turned into a 10 hour adventure.  Oh well, we had fun and the wife giggled all the way home.  Ahh, life's little treasures.
Slug

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #5 - 07/02/07 at 20:58:23

Welcome to the Savage Clan
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/02/07 at 21:00:47

congrats, I know your wife will like it if she can get you off it!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 07/02/07 at 21:04:11

Oh yea, happy wife, wife giggles, happy husband, pleasant sigh   Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bought a '96 for the wife....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.