Newbie (Read 3 times)
Mussolini1996
YaBB Newbies

After Every Dark
Night Comes A Bright
Day

Missoula, MT
06/29/07 at 13:25:04

Ok so I just bought my first cruiser which is a 2003 savage. It only has 3,500 miles on it, it's in awesome shape, and I'm looking to do some upgrading/customizing.

First i'm looking for some dragster handlebars. I found some on JCWhitney, but I'm wondering how much of a rise I should get. Is there any other websites good for handlebars???

Second i've been reading through alot of posts on this sight and I think I know what performance parts I will be purchasing...... K&N Filter, Mac Exhaust, and a Dynojet Jet Kit, does anyone have any recommendations for other performance parts or custom accessories???

I'm thinking about changing the color of the bike from black to candy orange this winter. Any input on any of this would be greatly appreciated.  8)

2003/SuperTrapp With Open-End Cap/K&N Drop-In/55 Pilot Jet/Half of the White Spacer/155 Main Jet
  IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Re: Newbie
Reply #1 - 06/29/07 at 13:41:26

Candy orange is an ugly color for a bike.

Or were you looking for another type of input? Grin

But seriously, welcome aboard, Musssolini 1996.

(I'm sure that someone who's less of a smarta$$ will come along soon to help you out...)

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/29/07 at 13:48:55

skip the dynojet kit.  waste of money, unless you want to use the dyno tune coupon...  you can get the right jets at any dealer for a few $$$ each.  I keep a large range on hand for myself. #4 or #3 washers shim the carb needle well.

further go fast upgrades:  better carb from lancer or ebay, cam regrind from lancer,  also, see 'piston group buy" thread. port and polish.

handling:  progressive rear shocks, fork brace, good tires (metzler, IMO).

see tech, sect, esp the table of contents at top.

V

IP Logged
Mussolini1996
YaBB Newbies

After Every Dark
Night Comes A Bright
Day

Missoula, MT
Reply #3 - 06/29/07 at 13:57:04

So what jets exactly would I need???

2003/SuperTrapp With Open-End Cap/K&N Drop-In/55 Pilot Jet/Half of the White Spacer/155 Main Jet
  IP Logged
Mussolini1996
YaBB Newbies

After Every Dark
Night Comes A Bright
Day

Missoula, MT
Reply #4 - 06/29/07 at 14:05:44

And also how about the handlebars, any input???

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 06/29/07 at 14:20:28

Mussolini1996 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
So what jets exactly would I need???

where (elevation) do you live?

kn pod w/ airbox gut or just a simple kn stock filter replacemet?

anything with 1" OD will work for the bars.

choosing bars:  sit on the bike and put your feet onthe pegs while having a friend hold you upright.  close your eyes.  put your hands where you want them. get barss that match.

don't get bars that have HD style "dimples" for wires.  small holes, also called dimpels, are okay, but not necessary.

IP Logged
Mussolini1996
YaBB Newbies

After Every Dark
Night Comes A Bright
Day

Missoula, MT
Reply #6 - 06/29/07 at 14:25:18

I'd like to do more than just a drop in K&N, but I was unable to find anything else?

I live in Montana so the elevation is probably between 3,000-5,000 feet.

Is there any good websites for handlebars???

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/29/07 at 14:39:05

kn rc 1250 pod filter will fit over stock carb, but you need to gut the airbox or move the battery.  if doing drop in do the desnorkel as well (search my recent posts).  some ahve drilled holes in the airbox "door," but I hear theis doesn't work well.

try flanders for bars. there are MANY others.  also:this

main is likely going to be a 155 or 152.5, pilot, one size up from stock.  1 or 2 washers under hte c-clip on the needle.

read in the tech sect.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/29/07 at 14:56:32

Doen't the '03 have dragbars and risers already?

Personally, I found the stock dragbars to narrow.  A wider set will allow the mirrors to see behind you.

I went with a set of EMGO low rise HD type bars with the stock high risers.

Any 1" diameter bars will work.  Get them without the dimples.

HD risers use a larger mounting bolt.  But I think the Metric bikes are all the same.  If you have the low risers, do a search for 'z' and 'h' bars.

WWW   IP Logged
Mussolini1996
YaBB Newbies

After Every Dark
Night Comes A Bright
Day

Missoula, MT
Reply #9 - 06/29/07 at 15:04:04

I have the buck horn style bars, or whatever you call them, I just want some straight bars.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 06/29/07 at 22:53:15

Mussolini1996 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I have the buck horn style bars, or whatever you call them, I just want some straight bars.

I don't blame you for wanting rid of the "buckhorn" style bars. So far, you've been given some good bar buying advice in bits and pieces. Let me try and seam them together:

To get the bars to fit YOU... you need to know how high and far back you want them. This will determine what risers you want. The stock Suzuki drag bar risers are about 3-1/2" tall and maybe have 1" to 1-1/2" of pullback. That works out alright for people of a medium size and arm length. But as someone already mentioned, the stock 24" wide bars are too narrow. All you can see in your rear view mirrors are your own shoulders, and that's not of much help. You might want risers that are taller, and have no pullback if you have long arms.

So... as instructed, either get a friend to hold the bike, or block it up to where you can sit steady and upright on it. Hold your hands up and out to a position where you think they might be comfortable. Take visual "guesstimates" or actual tape measurements, of how high/wide and angled back your hands are in relation to the triple tree. From your hand's position, work backwards in imaginary bar and riser parts to your triple tree.

I don't recommend "broomstick" straight drag bars with absolutely no pullback, as they eventually make most riders wrists hurt. You want a bit of angle/pullback, but the degree is up to you. As for width, I recommend no less than 28" and I really like 32" wide or more myself. Anything wider than 36" seems to be a bit much to me, but some folks like them. I also prefer no pullback in the risers with straight bars. In fact, I'm playing around with the idea of turning the pullback around backwards on my old 87, as some of the other riders around here do. These bikes are so short that sometimes it feels like the bars are right in your lap...

Here is my current favorite bar setup... High and wide:

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 06/30/07 at 07:13:35

Tammi wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Candy orange is an ugly color for a bike.

I like candy orange on a bike.

Welcome aboard Mussolini1996 and congratulations on your bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mussolini1996
YaBB Newbies

After Every Dark
Night Comes A Bright
Day

Missoula, MT
Reply #12 - 06/30/07 at 08:49:40

Thanks, I liked the flanders handlebars, but the risers were pretty pricey, any other good sites for handlebars and such???

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 06/30/07 at 12:11:00

Jireh Cycles catalog has lots of stuff for HD and metric now also, with a lot of the HD stuf being usable on the Savage, like risers and bars etc.
Their big catalog is free for the asking and you can also look at their stuff on their website www.jirehcycles.com

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:29:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.