Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
remove large heat shield? (Read 13 times)
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
remove large heat shield?
06/25/07 at 10:19:02

??? I have an 05 S40.  what is the secret of removing the large heat shield?  I need to replace the ring between the muffler and exhaust.  Removed the only bold on the front but seems to be connected somewhere else or is it just hard to remove?

Learning as I go.........RIDE SAFE......Thanks

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: remove large heat shield?
Reply #1 - 06/25/07 at 14:30:14

2 phillips head s on the upper edge back in the flared section. 2 tabs fit in slots on the bottom. Loosen the clamp & pull the 2 bolts in the rear. Dont lose the metal sleeves from the bushings. Rotate the muffler to access the phillips heads. It may be necessary to temove the footpeg mount & allow the header to move away from the frame a bit. It may even be easier to just pull the header & get easy access & good visual on just how it all works. Remember, replacing the headr means torquing bolts. Even just messing with the header will likely result in needing to retorque. Others seem to have an issue with the beam style torque wrench, I dont, tho the ease of use of the "click" type in awkward positions is a considferation, I went with the beam. A torque wrench for this bike needs to have the ability to work & be accurate in low ranges, so look around. I am happy enough with Sears 3/8 beam style. Was cheap. Maybe till you find the torque wrench of your dreams you can find one that will "Do". You could just snug the things up & not worry about it. When Greg suggested mine might be loose, thats what I did,But, Ive been mechanicking for a long time & have a feel for when threads are about to let go( sometimes). Its not perfect, but I will do that sometimes. I DO use a torque wrench & recommend it, But if you dont forget the threads are in aluminum & dont think thats what is holding the whole bike together, you should be okay. Remember, it's better to need to retighten them than to need to repair them. Use a 1/4 inch ratchet & the effort required to strip them will be higher.

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #2 - 06/25/07 at 18:07:18

Thanks Justin............I'm glad I came to the site before I went any further.  Yours truly would have been in a heep of trouble the way I thought it should come off.

Thanks and RIDE SAFE!!!!!!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/26/07 at 00:20:48

No problem. Just went out to the shed where the old muffler lives & looked at it for a sec.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 06/26/07 at 19:03:33

Can it get more fun..also trying to remove heat shield. decided that I'd just remove the whole system; went OK until..well, one of the header bolts snapped.  Now I can try a bolt removing tool, haven't tried this for over forty years.  Would like to replace the stock exhaust with EMGO's reverse cone muffler, the 27" one ..anyone know a EMGO dealer here in Mass??  Thanks and have a great day..If it gets together, I'll post photos.

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #5 - 06/27/07 at 10:28:42

Trippah........Good luck with the swap.  Been there done that on the snapped bolt.....happened to to me removing a head on a 327 small block.  Im going to swap this stock exhaust with a Jardine.  Some one on the site said to go with a 152.5 main (if at sea level).  I live in north Mississippi and probably no more than a few hundred feet above that if that much.  Good luck and  RIDE SAFE!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/27/07 at 19:14:30

Baldeagle, Found the jet. It'll be on its way as soon as I can get to the PO. May be Monday.. Tomorrow is looking busy.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 06/27/07 at 19:34:24

well, easy out didn't hold up, so I'm off to visit the nearest dealer Friday. Ya know, they do snap in half on occasion.(says a friend of mine who is a mechanic (auto)).. May be time to do the cam mod if the bike is going to be torn up anyway.  Think they can drill out the darn thing, or am I loking at a new cylender head??
Oh well, will find out soon enough.  And how do they expect anyone to get at those two philips head screws on the heat shield unless you take off the whole exhaust system.??Actually, mine only had one left..maybe po or original manufacturing crew thought two were excessive.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/28/07 at 13:27:29

I expect you have the headr off now. Once you have a clear shot at the head, you can drill the old bolt out & tap the hole yourself. TRying to get a drill small enough to go down thru that skinny bolt & not wind up in the threads would either take some eaglke eyed person with arms off a robot, or a machine shop, with the head under a drill press. Heck, for the cost of the machine shop l;abor, you could buy your own little drill press, most likely. Harbvor freight has them for cheap, but the heads wobble a bit. Ya gotta steady it before the bit hits the object if the accuracy is a big deal. I use a piece O wood on mine. If you did manage to drill thru center you might be able to run a different easy oout. I have some carbide inserts, drive them into the dutchman & slip a nut on the spline. Problem with those is they spread the dutchman into threads & make it tight! Drill & hit it with Kroil, then try the easy out? Anyone have good success with this kind of work? This guy is in a bind.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 06/28/07 at 19:05:02

Justine_o_guy You are so right, the frame is in the way by just a bit of a straight shotdown the bolt.  At least with my hand drill.  Am interested in options..apparantly my riding deason is taking a break.  Obviously, my neighbor and I were out of our dept..haven't tried this since my MGB in '98, when I had better luck.   Well. may get some info tomorrow or this weekend.  I haven't taken the head off yet..no time.  Thanks for your thoughts..

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #10 - 06/28/07 at 19:05:42

ps..sorry bout that sex change Justin..hope it didn't hurt too much. Grin

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 06/28/07 at 19:16:04

Apparantly, the next step is to take it to shop that has a plasma cutter.  Well, at 61, I'm learning lots, which is half the fun..the other half is doing it yourself correctly.
Hope i get to that half someday.  So. Has anyone done a tech on head removal??  Also, since I've inadverdently hijacked this threat, I'll start a new one...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/28/07 at 20:46:55

Before I pulled the head I would know if it needs a cam chain. If not, I would ask the guys at the shop if they could deal with the whole engine. Pull the engine & save the hassle of openning it up. Unless hauling it is too much for ya. I can see how it would be, umm, less than convenient? Not many bolts or minutes to having the engine in your lap. But the head cover has a good number of little skinny bolts, the head follows several of its own. Drain the oil & give it a go? If it needs a cam chain, I would still consider not pulling the head.

It was painless Trippah, thanks for askin.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 06/29/07 at 10:53:36

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:15:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › remove large heat shield?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.