Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Altitude + Carb Problems (Read 3 times)
mmp
Ex Member

Altitude + Carb Problems
06/19/07 at 15:01:43

I have a few questions for those of you living in higher altitude or those knowledgable about carbs. I just moved from sea level (RI) to denver, CO and the bike was running great when I was living in RI but now that I'm in CO it won't start. I imagined that I would have to do some tuning once I got to Denver, but figured that it would at least start  :'(

It is a 2001 with only 2k miles and the only mods that I have done besides the white spacer (1/2) and main jet (150) is that I'm running a HD sportster muffler. I had done the white spacer and main jet mod (150) some time back and it was running great when I lived in Michigan and Rhode Island but now that I am in the mile high city it won't start. I figured that I would try to reinstall the 145 and put the original spacer back on, but no luck. After reading quite a bit on the forum, I was wondering if I should be going way down to something like a 140 main and maybe even changing the pilot? ??? The stealership recommended a jetting kit, but at 65 bones I hoped to do it cheaper.

Any suggestions?

Also, I have noticed that I have started to get the infamous oil leak from the cap/plug leak. Could this be part of the problem? I plan to tackle this problem but don't have 3-4 hours to spend on it right away if I don't have to in the next month.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Altitude + Carb Problems
Reply #1 - 06/19/07 at 15:23:45

Unless you can't buy a couple of jets from him, I wouldn't get the kit.  mail order http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Market;action=display;num=11808...

I guess you could do a couple of things to lean her out, desnorkle and/or remove the air box door, k&n filter.

The infamous leak wouldn't keep it from running.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 06/19/07 at 15:25:57

sounds like you left the pilot jet stock so it should start - regardless of the main and spacer they effect above idle , mid range and such - I would think you have some other issue.

so you got a hot battery and a good spark?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/19/07 at 15:27:09

and how many turns out on the mixture screw?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 06/19/07 at 15:29:02

It's going to run too rich now at ALL RPM's (assuming it was set up correctly at sea level.)

You want full white spacer and 145 main jet (stock) which apparently you have now.  You should check the spark plug, vaccuum lines, and anything else that may have changed.  It sounds like something ELSE changed in the move, and I wouldn't re-jet just yet since Savages sold in Denver come with a 145 main and run just fine.  (I lived in Colorado Springs for 11 years which is 1200 feet higher in elevation.)

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
mmp
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/19/07 at 15:40:17

I replaced the battery in March with a big crank, so this is out. But I will check to make sure I'm getting a spark and also check the vacuum line.

The mixture screw is 2.5 turns out.

It sounds like taking back to stock should getr' running. I look to see if I notice anything else that maybe got jarred. It was shipped to CO and I guess something could have been damaged on the truck but it was inside a semi and well padded. But ya never know.

Thanks for the ideas. Any further suggestions are welcome.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/19/07 at 15:41:29

I'm up in fort collins.  I'm running a 152.5 main, but have the filter bolted right to the carb. 2 #(3 or 4) washers in lieu of the white spacer, and I THINK the stock pilot jet, maybe 1/2 size up. exhaust is a cherry bomb.  I've got another savage that is stock and it has the usual nasty backfires...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 07/03/07 at 21:28:13

I live in Colorado Springs (my house is at 6500') and mine runs great with stock jetting and stock white spacer.

All I've done is fiddle with the air screw a little.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 07/04/07 at 06:18:35

grand jct colo here 4500 elev  06, de snorkeled w/k&n drop in, hard krome 3" slash cut, #60 pilot,mid clip on dyno neddle(save your money)141.3 main ..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:56:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Altitude + Carb Problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.