Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Muffler's that don't discolor ??? (Read 10 times)
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Muffler's that don't discolor ???
05/21/07 at 20:36:30

What slipon or full pipe for the savage won't discolor ?

I run a Jardine right now but it has a disclored 2" ring around the chrome just before the baffle and I have noticed the same thing on other savage owners Jardine pics.

Thanks

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Muffler's that don't discolor ???
Reply #1 - 05/21/07 at 20:39:33

Any black ones....

Anything else takes more work Tongue

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/21/07 at 22:45:37

Blued pipes are cool!!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #3 - 05/22/07 at 03:21:34

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Blued pipes are cool!!

yes, but not rusted...  Embarrassed

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/22/07 at 05:41:17

The Hard Krome mufflers we had last year are a double wall design and as far as I know there have been no reports of discoloration on them.  I picked them up from the Dennis Kirk eBay store clearance rack.  Go to ebay motors, then to the stores, then search for "dk-trader".

Here, this is easier ...

http://stores.ebay.com/DK-Trader

I just did a quick check and they are REALLY short on slipon mufflers, no Hard Krome at all.
There must be a new manager in charge of their ebay store now too, I have noticed a big price increase this year for virtually everything.  It is not nearly as fun to shop there as in the past.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/22/07 at 06:05:17

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The Hard Krome mufflers we had last year are a double wall design and as far as I know there have been no reports of discoloration on them.  I picked them up from the Dennis Kirk eBay store clearance rack.  Go to ebay motors, then to the stores, then search for "dk-trader".

Here, this is easier ...

http://stores.ebay.com/DK-Trader

I just did a quick check and they are REALLY short on slipon mufflers, no Hard Krome at all.
There must be a new manager in charge of their ebay store now too, I have noticed a big price increase this year for virtually everything.  It is not nearly as fun to shop there as in the past.

I have one I bought new from Lancer and used for about 4-5 months.  I really like the sound and it's built like a muffler inside a separate heavy chrome housing.  The internal portion may be discoloring but not the outside.  At the moment it's wrapped up and in storage in the garage because it's just too much bling on a bike that is slowly becoming more and more flat black.  I already had my MAC blacked out and I couldn't bring myself to black out the Hard Krome.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #6 - 05/22/07 at 06:51:09

do you have a pic?

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #7 - 05/22/07 at 09:31:24

Can you paint a chrome muffler black ? If so what paint would be used and what preparation would it need ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 05/22/07 at 11:36:35

Violent_Rage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
do you have a pic?

Here's what it looked like installed.

Here's what she looks like now.

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Can you paint a chrome muffler black ? If so what paint would be used and what preparation would it need ?

Yes.  To get it to stick properly, you'll need clean, rough up and re-clean the surface.  Something like the stuff below is intended for exhausts, though some folks have used BBQ Black instead.  I believe the stuff made for exhausts withstands greater heat though.  I found some at Autozone with silica and ceramic that is supposed to be good to 2000° F.  In the first image above, my header was painted with it.  In the second image above, my MAC muffler is painted with it and the header has been professionally ceramic coated.  When that paint begins to wear off the muffler, I'll probably get it professionally ceramic coated too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #9 - 05/22/07 at 12:29:20

Hey Savage Rob, that looks sweet !  Was it expensive to get the ceramic coat and what kind of place do I look up in the yellow pages that does the ceramic painting ?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 05/22/07 at 14:27:46

Yep, BLACK is the new black.  When mine is resurrected it will be black on BLACK.  Well, I may throw in a tad of charcoal on the frame, for just a shadow of contrast.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 05/23/07 at 05:21:12

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hey Savage Rob, that looks sweet !  Was it expensive to get the ceramic coat and what kind of place do I look up in the yellow pages that does the ceramic painting ?

See last week's Ceramic Coated Header thread.

borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/24/07 at 17:41:59

Some folks have the pipes re-chromed using "black chrome", ..... looks beautiful, and it hides the discoloration.

IP Logged
onedivision
YaBB Newbies

'07 LS-650 - 1cyl.,
but they know my tag
#

St. Augustine
Reply #13 - 05/27/07 at 18:57:33

Just wanted to say that pipe looks GREAT! Black on black is quite impressive Good Job - John BTW, would you happen to know the O.D. of a stock S-40 muffler?

customized front blinkers, custom pipe, carb. mods., including self-built mid booster, opened up airbox, K&N filter - more to come...
jkcbubba   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/27/07 at 19:19:31

onedivision wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Just wanted to say that pipe looks GREAT! Black on black is quite impressive Good Job - John BTW, would you happen to know the O.D. of a stock S-40 muffler?

Thanks, I like the black a lot too.  Sorry, I don't have that measurement though.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler's that don't discolor ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.