Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seat mod using AirHawk (Read 16 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Seat mod using AirHawk
06/19/07 at 05:16:01

I have been in the search for the seat mod that would work for me.. for a long time.   My problem was a sore tail bone..
Tried a Sportster seat (just by sitting on one at the HD place).  Didn't feel right.
Got a seat pan from a member here to experiment with.
Tried various padding changes.  Adding stuff, pulling out stuff, tilting, etc, etc.
Finally go miffed enough to try an Airhawk (medium).  Worked ok.. but felt funny to perch it on top of the stock seat.
Then the light came on.

Step 1.  Herea are the pieces.
Took seat pan down to the plastic.  Carved old foam so just the edges were left.  Taped that around the seat pan.  (Final version used duct tape).  That gave the staples something to ram into, and a bit of padding on the sides.
The green foam came off the back of an old office chair.  It doesn't do much but provide a base for the AirHawk.
The two little pieces of foam were used for extra protection covering the seat mounts on the inside of the pan.

Here are the pieces stacked up.

Went and got some grey naugahyde and covered it up.  Did not stretch it tight.. as the AirHawk needs room to do it's thing.
Used 5/8" staples

You can get an idea of how squishy it is.

And put on the motorcycle:

I still want to add a sheepskin, but this is working out pretty good for now.
Took it for a 3 hour ride, and felt real nice.  No real pretty or real professional, but I want to RIDE, not look at it!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Seat mod using AirHawk
Reply #1 - 06/19/07 at 05:47:14

Here's a seat that looks like it would be alot more comfy than the stock seat. Kinda costly though. I think the euro = dollars comes to about $400.00 but here's a look:

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.gts-seats.de/

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/19/07 at 05:53:50

Congrats on getting yourself some comfort. I am guessing that come Christmas morning, anyone can tell which gifts were wrapped by you. It doesnt matter on Christmas, cuz it was done with love. It doesnt matter on the bike, cuz, man,it's Yours.You did it to serve the purpose you need. It works & that makes it a 100% success.
I've moded afew things on the bike, now I am in the process of giving it to the girl, so I guess I am gonna be able to dodge the seat issue, till she complains, anyway. Good job, a 3 hour ride is a sure test.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/19/07 at 07:34:07

The AirHawk was about as expensive as I could go for now.
I already put funding into various experiments (gel, memory foam, talalay latex) that never even made it to the prototype stage.  Once around the neighborhood.. YECH.
The next step would have been a custom seat.  The funding.. would have had to wait!  And I would want to work with someone locally so I could take it back for adjustments.
I like the way this came out.  The seat has more of a curved shape.  (Follows the contour of the pan).  It is a lot lower when sat on (squishes down).  The pillion pad turns into sort of a backrest.
With a nice sheepskin, it will even look pretty good.  I was hoping to find something locally, but may have to go internet.
http://www.sheepskinfactory.com/motorcycle.cfm .
http://www.gelseat.com/sheepskins.htm .
http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&sizes2.html .
If anyone has other favorite (and not outlandishly priced) sites, I would like to hear about them!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 06/19/07 at 10:27:42

I have the alaska leather sheepskin buttpad and I like it alot. Seems to absorb alot of the vibrations and keeps my butt cooler in the summer months

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 06/19/07 at 10:44:46

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
With a nice sheepskin, it will even look pretty good.  I was hoping to find something locally, but may have to go internet.
http://www.sheepskinfactory.com/motorcycle.cfm .
http://www.gelseat.com/sheepskins.htm .
http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&sizes2.html .
If anyone has other favorite (and not outlandishly priced) sites, I would like to hear about them!

I got mine at http://www.sheepyhollow.com/ and I like it a lot.  It's an Australian outfit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/19/07 at 10:58:43

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I got mine at http://www.sheepyhollow.com/ and I like it a lot.  It's an Australian outfit.

Do you happen to remember which one you got?
Contour?   Budget?  Universal Pad?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #7 - 06/19/07 at 11:38:59

Hmm, must be something wrong with my butt.
The stock seat feels like an easy-chair even on 200+ mile rides.  ???

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/19/07 at 12:07:06

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Do you happen to remember which one you got?
Contour?   Budget?  Universal Pad?

I'm pretty sure I got a universal pad but I'm not absolutely sure.  I can check my email archives later and let you know.  I should have a record someplace.  It's a question of whether it can be found and how detailed it was.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/19/07 at 12:54:24

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I'm pretty sure I got a universal pad but I'm not absolutely sure.  I can check my email archives later and let you know.  I should have a record someplace.  It's a question of whether it can be found and how detailed it was.

Thanks Rob.  I sent them an email to see what size their pads are.  The statement (for the cruiser size) "Best suited for seats that are WIDER than 28cm [11inch] measured at the widest part of the top of the seat." doesn't help much.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/20/07 at 05:10:30

Mine is the Solo Seat Pad.

youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/20/07 at 05:46:19

Thanks.  The web site says "Best suited for seats that are WIDER than 20cm [8inch] measured at the widest part of the top of the seat." for that size.
Still waiting to hear back from them on exactly how wide the pads are.
I am hoping to get a cover, not a pad.  $$$ will be a factor.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:44:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat mod using AirHawk

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.