Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any painting tips? (Read 5 times)
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Any painting tips?
06/20/07 at 04:51:01

I'd like to fix a few chips and rough patches of paintwork on my black stock Savage. Can't find much info on here about the best way to do it, and looking elsewhere has got me v confused! A few questions..

Do I brush/spray on a matt (or satin?) black and then use clear laquer to get the gloss?

How easy will it be to merge the laquer, ie should I re-laquer a whole side panel if I have re-painted a small section? If so how should I prep the old laquer?

Any tips gratefully received

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Any painting tips?
Reply #1 - 06/20/07 at 05:07:23

Lots of good info here, including a place to buy the paint.

http://www.colorrite.com/

(shamelessly taken from Greg's post: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/20/07 at 05:14:04

I have taken a shot at things like this before & found it harder than I thouthgt & I have been frustrated & disappointed by the results. Now, I work in areas that wont bug me if they dont look like I wanted or I get practice pieces to start with. Once I get the results I want, I move to the arease I want looking good. A body shop will have bent pieces of painted metal you can have to take home & practice technique on till you are ready to live with the results daily.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 06/20/07 at 05:33:34

At http://www.eastwoodco.com/, there are online forums and tech libraries for body work, painting, etc.  They also have a great selection of supplies at decent prices.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #4 - 06/20/07 at 06:57:23

Fixing paint chips is easy.

Get the touchup color from the dealership.  Clean the chipped surface very well with a good cleaner, I like to use Naptha (Ronsonol).  

Break a toothpick in half, and locate a Dr. Pepper 2-liter cap.  Put some of the touch up paint in the Dr. Pepper cap.  Crush the end of the toothpick and dip it like a little paintbrush.

Drop the paint into all the chips so that you get a nice bumped up touchup.  Should look like tiny reversed potholes where the potholes all were.  This is the RIGHT way for it to be done.

Lightly sand with 500-2000 grit to smooth the bumps down flush with the normal paint.

Clean and clearcoat with Dupli-color automotive top coat from Wal-Mart/Autozone/Advance/Sam's Club, etc.

One thing, additionally.  If you are careful with how you sand, you don't have to re-clear the whole tank.  You can dust the spots you just hit.

OR, and this is really nice with modern waxes, you can get some Scratch-B-Gone(yellow bottle) and use it to get the sanding marks out.  Then use Meguiar's or equivalent glazing compound and a good cleaner wax.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #5 - 06/20/07 at 09:12:48

Thanks everyone  - good links and useful tips.

I'll try Tuxedo's method of building up "inverted dimples" on a test piece over the next few days.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:38:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any painting tips?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.