Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newbie tail light question (Read 11 times)
wrongwayair

central Il
newbie tail light question
06/17/07 at 11:01:12

Ok folks, even for me this one could be over the top on the airhead scale.  But that won't stop me from askin Embarrassed

I followed big brother when he rode my 2002 bike home a few weeks ago.  The right turn signal stayed on all the time & I assumed it was a tail light as well as a turn signal.  But the left one only worked as a turn signal / hazzard light.  So, thinking i'd take the easy route I replced the left light bulb.  It still doesn't stay on all the time, but now the right one only works as turn signal as well.  I checked the owners manual & the Clymer's that came with it but couldn't find an answer.

So I guess the question is...are the rear turn signals supposed to stay on all the time as tail lights?  In which case i've not only not fixed the left one but now broken the right one as well.

Anybody know a good Suzuki mech in central IL?

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Re: newbie tail light question
Reply #1 - 06/17/07 at 11:31:39

Your rear light is central to the bike just below the back rest. The indicators are  as the name implies "Indicators", and should be off at all times unless indicating to turn.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #2 - 06/17/07 at 11:58:00

On my 96 all 4 turnsignals are amber, the front ones are both markers and turnsignals, dual filament bulbs, flashing from dim to bright when I use the signal switch. The back ones are only turnsignals, single filament bulbs, flashing from off to on with the signal switch. So yes it sounds like you have it working right, maybe it was a ground problem or a bad bulb on the left side.

Some have modified their rear turnsignal sockets to use double filament bulbs, running the extra wires to the center tail light or license light, but here in Calif, you would have to also change the lens to a red one to make it legal. (rear facing marker/taillights must be Red here, but rear facing turnsignals can be either red or amber)

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/17/07 at 12:01:04

The stock rear turn signals have amber lenses and thus cannot be used as running/stop lights.  It is also a single filament bulb.  Unless you have your turn signal on the only lights on the rear is the license plate light, the low wattage side of the tail light.  The high wattage side of the tail light operates when you apply either brake.  Whatever was wrong is now fixed.  You did good.

You can modify the turn signals to operate as run/brake lights im addition to their turn signal function.

WWW   IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #4 - 06/17/07 at 12:28:37

Thanks once again everybody!  It's nice to know I can at least do some of the minor repairs.  I really do want to find a good mechanic for the more detailed stuff, no luck yet.  There are two dealers 30-60 miles from here that I can turn to if I have too.  But their shop labor rates are higher that the ones charged @ my local airport.  Craziness.

thanks!

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/17/07 at 18:38:09

Then if you have a problem, stra[p a wing on it & take to an airplane mechanic.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:30:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › newbie tail light question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.