Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
am lovin my '01 savage ls650 (Read 6 times)
Dee
YaBB Newbies

pa
am lovin my '01 savage ls650
06/15/07 at 21:51:26

[b]HI, I am a new rider...bought a ls 650 savage after talking to many riders..mostly harley riders..But I am 5' 4" 120 pounds & quite a few recommended this bike. I have a 2001 with 800 miles on it. I got real lucky & found one that a woman bought & was afraid to ride it, Garage kept & oil changed 4 times with 493 miles on it!!
Now I want to make it a bit louder, I will feel safer if I am heard. I see the guy on ebay selling harley pipes bored out & I have a stock sportster pipe that I want to try to bore out on my own. Do I drill into it somewhere? I am very new to this, but I think I waited to many years to enjoy!! Any help on how to "bore" out this pipe would be appreciated. I put 350 miles on this bike in 2 weeks & I work full time!!  I can only think about when I can ride again, but I feel the need to be heard after riding on the back of many harleys!  Thanks for any help, Dee

Thanks, Dee
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: am lovin my '01 savage ls650
Reply #1 - 06/15/07 at 21:55:38

First of all, welcome to the site and the world of the Savage.

Second: I know nothing about boring out pipes, I just put on a Jardine slip-on. But when you change the pipe to a freer flowing one, you will most likely need to re-jet the carb. (which is extremely easy even for a beginner)

You will get much help from this site with many ideas that you didn't even know was possible on what to do with this particular animal.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/16/07 at 08:38:27

There are a lot of posts on here discussing the HD pipe install. I recommend doing a few searches and reading up on what everyone else has done.
I think the best plan for you would be to just install the pipe as is. You can take it to a muffler shop (Midas, etc..) and they will install the pipe along with any necessary pieces required for a reasonable price. That's just my .02 cents though.
After the pipe install, a carb re-jet will be in short order. Good luck and welcome.

IP Logged
Dee
YaBB Newbies

pa
Reply #3 - 06/16/07 at 10:50:49

Thanks, I am learning alot from this site.....thanks for the welcome!

Thanks, Dee
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/16/07 at 14:22:09

Welcome to the family!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 06/17/07 at 14:53:02

Welcome to the Savage. Glad to hear you are enjoying your MC.

As far as modifying a MC I would suggest putting at least 1000 miles on before making any changes.

As far as being louder making you more safe, it's not likely. What is likely is that loud pipes are viewed as obnoxious by the rest of the world and are likely to lose our priviliges to ride anywhere we would like (it's already happening).

It's your ride so I hope you enjoy it and if you decide loud pipes are going to make you safer go for it. Just be aware that there are good reasons that it won't (For example low frequency noise is hard to locate directionally and the best effect that it will have coming out a MC is having other drivers looking around in every direction instead of where they should be looking) and good reasons (as mentioned above) for not doing it.

IP Logged
Dee
YaBB Newbies

pa
Reply #6 - 06/17/07 at 19:21:31

Mornhm...Thanks for the info.

I have 995 miles on it.

I am looking for a savage with different pipes so I can hear it. The shop recommended jardine pipes, but didn't have any I could hear. They are gonna call me when they have a bike in the shop with those pipes so I can hear it.

I agree that "LOUD" isn't safer, I just feel like I need a bit more noise from my bike to be heard.

I am still lovin my bike!!!   Smiley

Thanks, Dee
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/17/07 at 19:48:33

There are several ways to go. If I was after a bit more performance & a better sound, AND didnt want to shell out a lot O $$, I would go with a HD muffler. If $$$ isnt an issue & you want to maximize the performance, I would suggest Supertrapp, since it is so tuneable. There are many oithers that fall in between.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 06/17/07 at 20:43:21

There is stock, loud, and LOUD.

We are all familiar with the Harleys with straight pipes (with maybe a tiny ineffective baffle) that can be heard a quarter mile away.  That is one ridiculous extreme.  IMO, a motorcycle that is difficult to hear whether or not it is even running is an opposite and equally ridiculous extreme.

The MAC I have on my bike is loud, but not obnoxiously so.  I have several .AVI clips on http://savage.andruschak.net/FTP/ with mediocure sound quality.  It is also not too expensive, $131 from MAW via underbid.com

WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #9 - 06/18/07 at 03:01:52

Personally, I would rather be heard than NOT heard. I have a friend that won't wear a helmet because one time a hornet flew in his helmet when he was riding. Does that mean that helmets are dangerous? IMO louder pipes (not obnoxiously loud) are safer than the stock pipes.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/18/07 at 05:24:38

Dee wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I am looking for a savage with different pipes so I can hear it. The shop recommended jardine pipes, but didn't have any I could hear. They are gonna call me when they have a bike in the shop with those pipes so I can hear it.

I agree that "LOUD" isn't safer, I just feel like I need a bit more noise from my bike to be heard.

Well, it's not the same as being there but there are some sample MP3s in the Tech Ref forum of some Savages with different exhausts.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #11 - 06/18/07 at 08:19:35

Welcome Dee,
I've got a HD turnout on mine, sounds most like the SE sound file in the tech section. Click on 'search' above, type in: "SE Turnout Mufflers"
I like that fact that the rear brake lever stays clean with a turnout.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › am lovin my '01 savage ls650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.