Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear brake cable fix (Read 4 times)
Yellow96

Rear brake cable fix
06/14/07 at 21:07:20

Ok, now I get it...everyone here seems to have so much fun tinkering with this bike and I finally had the light come on.

I'm in the garage with my father-in-law tring to get the brake light to come on with the foot pedal and we found that the cable was pinched.  After pulling the cable out, it turns out that the plastic retainer on the control side was also broken.

My first thought was how much are they (dealership) gonna want for this one...  But after thinking about it for a minute or two (about a half hour on e-bay) we tried using a crimp-on lead fishing weight to keep it in the bracket (on the control end, front of bike) and lo and behold it worked!  Dont know how long it will last, but I have a bucket full of fishing stuff if that one falls off.

I just got my bike to pass inspection one more year and it cost me less than a penny.  Thats the stuff.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Rear brake cable fix
Reply #1 - 06/14/07 at 21:57:39

Are you talking about this little issue where the cable just gets loose?  And the piece is gone?

Tell you the darn truth?  I like your fishing weight idea a whole lot better than the way I did it.

That is a darn good idea...especially since my fishing license is expired....but in general that is an idea for a couple of cables.  I like it.  Kudos...

Reelthing?  How about this?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 06/14/07 at 22:06:56

I checked my maintenance log and when mine broke I used the accelerator pump clip from a old Rochester 2GC carb kit I had laying around. I fish at the grocery store so don't have fishing stuff around, however I had thoughts about trying to find some of the big squeeze weights when I was looking for reasonable priced wheel balancing weights that fit on the spokes. Ended up using stickons. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 06/14/07 at 22:09:26

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I checked my maintenance log and when mine broke I used the accelerator pump clip from a old Rochester 2GC carb kit I had laying around. I fish at the grocery store so don't have fishing stuff around, however I had thoughts about trying to find some of the big squeeze weights when I was looking for reasonable priced wheel balancing weights that fit on the spokes. Ended up using stickons. Max

Do you guys even have water out there?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 06/15/07 at 03:54:17

Outstanding! - I knew fishing was good you- so even the tackle is good for other things,

you pinch on a splitshot or a little egg sinker?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 06/15/07 at 05:32:30

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Outstanding! - I knew fishing was good you- so even the tackle is good for other things,

you pinch on a splitshot or a little egg sinker?

If you had to, will those split shots accept solder?  Never tried to solder one.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/15/07 at 05:36:06

I had the exact same problem.  I took a small split lock washer and crimped it down over the end of the cable.  Same effect as the split shot weight.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 06/15/07 at 10:01:11

Yes Greg, we have lots of water applied when we want it most of the time. It is run through the power turbines at Grand Coulee Dam and then put in canal that runs all over this old desert. Add some fertilizer and this sand will grow about anything. Also we have one large lake, Moses Lake, and many small ones, some open year round for fishing. others seasonal. Thumper Acres sits at the south center edge of a 1/4 section with a center pivot irrigation system on it. It travels around the field at a speed needed to keep the crop growing, fertilizer can be added that way if needed. It is 1/4 mile from the center to the near edge and the last section of the pivot swings in on the short sides and around our house and out to water the corners. It is almost possible to water a square with a circle irrigation that way. Unfarmed corners are usually used to store the tarped cut hay or straw on until needed. I didn't buy the acreage and pivot as it wasn't for sale and would have cost more than the house and buildings and our 1.25 Acre. That is enough for us. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #8 - 06/15/07 at 10:52:43

Thanks for all the feedback.  It was a splitshot lead weight.  Got the cable all rerouted this morning and hooked it up.  so I'm off to the inspection place.

If I were more motivated I'd shot a pic of it, maybe later.

Thanks again, fun stuff!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 06/15/07 at 13:41:13

I had the same exact problem, but I used a small zip-tie, but I think I will take the tie off and use the fishing wieght idea.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:03:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake cable fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.