Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
drive belt issues (Read 6 times)
trucker_dean
Ex Member

drive belt issues
06/14/07 at 01:34:06

??? ???my drive belt is making a god awfull squeek, the adjustment tool says its ok. can anyone help?

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Re: drive belt issues
Reply #1 - 06/14/07 at 02:07:02

I have 3500 miles on my '06 and have not had a problem. From what I have learned on this forum, the consensus is to throw the tension tool away. The widely used way to check tension is to twist the belt 90 degrees. If can get the 90 degrees you are ok. If not, loosen till you can. Some folks use bees wax to help prevent squeaks. Make sure your alignment between your wheel and front sprocket is OK. Have you had the wheel off for any reason? Hope I have helped a little bit!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
trucker_dean
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/14/07 at 02:30:04

Thanks for those tips, yeah had to ft new bearings a while back. i'l re check allignment and do the 90 degree thing. anyone else with tips out there on this? Thanks again

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 06/14/07 at 05:23:54

trucker_dean wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Thanks for those tips, yeah had to ft new bearings a while back. i'l re check allignment and do the 90 degree thing. anyone else with tips out there on this? Thanks again

Nope.  Gramps covered it pretty well.  A tight belt is what causes the dry squeaks.

Now, wet squeaks you gotta live with Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/14/07 at 05:30:28

I use canning wax, Gulf makes it, It lasts a long time, I got this box over a year ago & am not even 1/2 way thru it. Seems the squeaks settled a bit after I ditched that tool & started doing it the 90 degree way.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #5 - 06/14/07 at 21:36:43

This may seem a silly question to all you old hands but where  on the belt would you put the wax ?  I would think the teeth, but I was concerned about it slipping. I can't see why you would put it on the outside of the belt.  How much would you use ? Is beeswax suitable?.  I thank you in advance for your patience

Steve

A day without riding is like a day without beer. well almost.

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 06/14/07 at 22:12:48

You wax the inner and outer side because that is where the squeak originates. The rear pulley has rubber drive cushions and it will tweak slightly between a pull and coast. Thats why it can be Ok one way and not the other. I can watch the belt move from one side to the other when I run it on a jack on my platform lift. I've replaced the cushions, tried and watched it move form side to side on accel and decel and finally decided to turn my hearing aids down one notch when I ride so I don't hear it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 06/15/07 at 16:57:47

If the belt got wet from a "one time occurance" like from removing the belt and dropping it in a puddle of radiator fluid, the squeek can be cured with baby powder.  Also works on automotive belts...Let's not get into how I know this  Shocked

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:09:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drive belt issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.