first modification (Read 9 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
first modification
06/12/07 at 23:22:57

I have what I believe to be a stock '87. It runs well at the moment, the usual "after bangs" and pop when shut down. Took the spark plug out and it was a nice grey colour. From reading on here it seems that the '87 was running a 155 jet as standard so if I were to put on a supertrap muffler would I still need to rejet or replace the carb?.  If I need to do both and I installed a Supertrapp could I then run it for a while without messing anything up.  (to save up the funds).I live in California if that helps. I want to check the timimg chain and tensioner before I try and give it more power. I have a fork brace on order too. Also I read a lot about K&N drop in filters Is this one where you take out the Suzuki one and just replace it with the K&N? .  One more question , I have seen for sale K&N cone filters.  Are they a good thing on our Savages or or the square slide in type ones the best bet?. A lot of questions I know but after being on the forums for a few weeks I know there are some very clever people out there.  Something that may make a difference I ride the freeway to work and back everyday at speeds upto 80mph and it does fine, just a bit wobbly over 70 in the wind. At the moment I think I am getting 45-50 mpg. Thanking you in advance Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: first modification
Reply #1 - 06/12/07 at 23:53:38

Supertrapp works well with the stock setup.  It's tunable by adding disks.

Check the header bolts, they cause most of the at speed pows.  A quarter turn richer of the pilot screw will reduce the shut off bang to a poof.

I'm currently getting 52 mpg running 70-80 most of the time   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 06/13/07 at 01:19:19

Sounds like you are already making intelligent decisions. Yes the old 87 should have the bigger jets in it from the factory, unless they were already doing dumb stuff to imported bikes in the People's Republic of California back that long ago. And as Verslagen says, the Supertrap can be tuned with disks. This should make tuning very simple for you.

Also, If you like simple, and intend to commute, or just ride, in wet weather... keeping your air filter in the box is a good idea. You can add some air holes in the box to free air flow. Search for terms like "swiss cheese" and "snorkle" with the site search feature.

There may be a very slight performance gain from a "cone" style filter, but I think lots of folks use them as much for the looks as the performance. And of course using one will allow removal of the whole air box for those seeking the minimalist (stripped down) look on a chopper or bobber. For an every day rider, it may be a bit extreme.

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/13/07 at 05:03:27

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
There may be a very slight performance gain from a "cone" style filter, but I think lots of folks use them as much for the looks as the performance. And of course using one will allow removal of the whole air box for those seeking the minimalist (stripped down) look on a chopper or bobber. For an every day rider, it may be a bit extreme.

I had inquired about a cone filter at a local shop and the guy behind the counter just about had a stroke and told me it would never work with the stock carb and the bike would never run right if I put one on. Was he full of it? I have zero experience when it comes to these carbs with a slider in it. In addition to being a bit of a perfectionist, I also enjoy a clean, minimalist approach- and the box just doesn't seem like it would allow for good air flow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/13/07 at 11:27:34

I'm in East Tx. With a 152.5 main & a Supertrapp with 14 disks it is a tad rich. I will go back to the 150 & , if too lean, pull baffles from the Trapp to get it right. I am back to getting about 43 or so on the MPG, Hard acceleration & 70 to 80 mph in short spurts.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 06/18/07 at 11:54:22

jkhulon73 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I had inquired about a cone filter at a local shop and the guy behind the counter just about had a stroke and told me it would never work with the stock carb and the bike would never run right if I put one on. Was he full of it? I have zero experience when it comes to these carbs with a slider in it. In addition to being a bit of a perfectionist, I also enjoy a clean, minimalist approach- and the box just doesn't seem like it would allow for good air flow.

The guy is a dipstick. There are lots of people running all kinds of filters on all kinds of carbs, and most combinations can be tuned to work together; with varying degrees of success, but all of them "work." There are always people around who think you have to keep everything the way it was originally engineered, or you're screwing it up. While that sometimes happens at the hands of someone with no experience, and no input from experienced mechanics, it is seldom the case when well advised. And there are plenty of people right here with the experience and advice to keep from getting in over your head.

Since you say you prefer a "minimalist approach" a cone filter may be the way you want to go. As for an air box not flowing good or being restrictive... that just depends on how well engineered they are. Some air box restriction might even give a bit of torque advantage, but an open flowing design like a cone, is probably always going to provide the greatest horsepower in the long run.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:28:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first modification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.