Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scheduled tune up (Read 1 times)
Mikeydfrmaz
Ex Member

Scheduled tune up
06/11/07 at 13:25:52

Whats up everyone. Hey I just took my 1997 savage in for tires and a small fuel leak around the fuel line. My question is should I have a tune up done? They told me that I should consider doing a tune up. I.E belt, fluid, hoses, adjust valves, etc. Now my bike is running fine but it does back fire slightly when I shut it off and it only has 9,000 miles on it. How often should the valves be adjusted? And should I just wait until the scheduled 11,000 mile tune up? The bike is completely stock and has been ridden lightly as you can see from how many miles are on it. And as always thanks for any help on this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Scheduled tune up
Reply #1 - 06/11/07 at 16:23:07

That brake fluid should be replaced.
Valves adjusted.
No reason to inspect hoses, just replace all both of em.
It's too cheap to hassle with trying to decide if they should be replaced. They are old, grab some fresh. If the belt looks good & it stays outta the sun, it's most likely okay.Besides, it's not like you will be caught a hundred miles from home if it poops out.

Since you ride so little, maybe having the work done would be more cost effective than learning.
IF you want to learn it, I will help all I can. Get a manual & tools. It's really easy.
If you are interested, we can discuss what tools you just have to have to do this level of maintenace/

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 06/11/07 at 17:03:30

I agree with J.O.G.

No belt!  Valves should be checked, replace the hoses and brake fluid.

What do you have more of...time or money?  That will determine "who" should do the work.  IMHO, working on mechanical stuff is fun and I sometimes "invent" stuff to do, much to the horror of some on this site...

At any rate this stuff isn't "rocket science" as anyone with a little determination and enough skill to tie your own shoes can successfully maintain a Savage...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 06/12/07 at 07:37:09

One of the great things about the Savage is how simple the MC is. Yeah it would be nice to have all the whistles and buzzers, but if you don't have them it simplifies things immensely.

I would say wait until the normal maintenance interval. Why is the dealer recommending a tune up now? If you are going to have the dealer do the maintenance, are they offering a discount to do the work now. (Enough of a discount to justify doing some of the maintenance a year or two early (based on riding less than 1,000 miles per year). Incidently some things should be done on a maximum time interval regardless of how many miles you ride.

IP Logged
Mikeydfrmaz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/07 at 08:51:17

Wow, great response. I would do the work but I am a Marine and don't have a whole lot of time to do it. But just for the record I do all my own mechanic work. The reason I am having the bike done is because it is so cheap. They offered to do the service for 250.00. And that includes everything that the scheduled tune up asks for. Has anyone ran across a leaky petcock? Is this common on these bikes?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/12/07 at 09:30:05

Are the valves so clattery you are worried? How long since they were adjusted( in Miles)?
The Floof on shutdown is desireable, not something to repair.
Is the plug gone oin the right side of the carb? I mean, Has the pilot screw been adjusted? I am guessing either you are at a great elevation for the stock jets to work or someone has rejetted it. Whats your elevation?
For $250.00 they could well do plenty on it. I expect they have listened & know darn well the valves are okay. They are supposed to make a bit of a clackey sound.They wont replace the belt for that $250.00. I expect your money will buy you a brake flush & 2 hoses & a new spark plug & oil change. YIP sceamin PEEE!! Or, is this to repair the leak, too? I would let them fix the leak & do the rest yourself. It's okay to start on it & finish it a few days later. Get a tarp & cover it if it's an outsider. Oh, park it on one too, so you can find stuff when it falls between fingers.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/12/07 at 11:27:19

This is the trouble when you take it in to the stealership.  Or at least one you don't have a relationship with (think bent over).  They'll always say, 'while you're here, do you want to take care of the routine maintainance you haven't been doing?'  Regardless of weather you need it or not.

I understand taking it in for tires and major stuff.  $250 for the tune up is right if it includes almost everything Clymer shows in its maintenance chapter.  I'd wait for the proper interval unless you're riding like a mad man and 2k is 2 weeks.

The difference between a POW and poof is a quarter turn of the pilot screw.

And you should have put in a new fuel line yourself.  It would have taken you longer to get the hose than to put it in.

WWW   IP Logged
Mikeydfrmaz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/12/07 at 13:56:15

yeah it is not the fuel hose, that is what I thought it was at first but the whole petcock is soaked in fuel and the weird thing is it only leaks when the bike is leaned over on its kick stand. I am going to hold off on the tune up until I hit 11,000 miles. I can change the fluid and brake lines myself in the meantime. I am just waiting on them you call me to tell me what the fuel leak is.  As for the backfire after shut off it is not very loud. and the valves are not clattering. The bike is just so perfect and un-abused that I didn't want to put something off that needed to be done. As for the altitude, I bought the bike in Northern C.A in the foothills and it backfired after shut off up there as well. Now the bike is living in San Diego. So I just assumed that the altitude had something to do with it. I am still not sure how long I will keep it though. I am about a half inch short of 6 feet tall so the bike is a little cramped. I think I might switch to a ninja 250. we'll see though

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:44:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Scheduled tune up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.