Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I need new tires? (pics) (Read 10 times)
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Do I need new tires? (pics)
06/10/07 at 11:44:57

My 1997 savage still has the original set of tires with a bit over 6,000 miles on them.

Question: Change soon (how soon, 1-2k miles?) or change immediately?

1) Stone got lodged between the engine case & belt guard.  2) Does this mark indicate "time to change tire"?

back detailed

front tire pic

I was thinking Dunlop D404's (or Metzeler 880's). I need something tough w/good grip that can handle potholes & lose gravel.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Do I need new tires? (pics)
Reply #1 - 06/10/07 at 12:51:04

Dang shame about that belt. Seems to be holding up, tho. How long ago was that, in miles?
The front lasted 12,000 on mine. The rear was in worse shape than yours at 4,000 miles. If you ride that gently you will get long life from the Dunlops, for sure. I expect you can get another 1,000 outta the rear, but Ill bet it wouldnt be the smartest thing you ever did. Looks like the wear indicators are already there & it should be replaced now. The front is good for another good long while. IMO. I went thru 2 rears , the stock & 1 replacement, before I changed the front. Now, its time for a rear & the front is still fine. Note the tire thread discussing clearance issues with the Dunlop & the idea that running a thinner tire improves handling. I got a Dunlop waiting in the garage, so its going on. next time I am looking for a narrower tire.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #2 - 06/10/07 at 14:28:07

If you wanna get a brand new set for your bike, both front and back, I'll buy that front tire.

Ten years old?!?!  I rescind my offer to purchase.  LOL.  You can give it to me, if you wanna.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 06/10/07 at 16:01:37

IMHO, if those are truely 10 Year old tires it is way past time to change them out regardless of the tread. In any case the rear is done and either Metzlers or Dunlops are a great choice. I'd change the belt while the rear tire is off and save it for a spare, its intergrity looks to be compromised. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #4 - 06/10/07 at 17:03:44

I suppose in the long run this particular thread will help a lot of people in doubt from this forum.

- Oh!  So that IS a wear marker on the tire. Ok.

- Yes, those COULD very well be the original tires, and yes 10 years is a lot regardless of rubber's quality since it dries up and cracks with time. I'll buy a new set soon, probably Dunlop 491 or 404s and tubes.

- btw: Does that flat-stop GREEN SLIME work?
I have 1/2 a bottle in each tube right now, cannot tell if it works, hope so.

- About the belt damage I really don't know; but the damage it's mostly cosmetic. What I DO know is that it's at least 3k miles old and has given no problems at all. I bought the bike like that; it could have been a small stone or a screw or something. Those Bando kevlar belts are truly bulletproof, I keep hearing they go well over 50k ...and costs $300 USD!

Thanks for the input  Grin

Any more advise/experiences for the forum?

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 06/10/07 at 19:18:15

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I suppose in the long run this particular thread will help a lot of people in doubt from this forum.

Those Bando kevlar belts are truly bulletproof, I keep hearing they go well over 50k ...and costs $300 USD!

Thanks for the input  Grin

Any more advise/experiences for the forum?

A replacement belt goes for $160 - $175 I replaced mine last year, it got ruptured by a rock going into the drive pulley. The pulley flange was bent a little but I was able to flatten it back into place.  I got quoted from stealerships of $275 to $500 (labor plus part) to replace the belt. So I ordered my own and dood it myself. About $190 all told because I had to buy 32mm socket and Clymers manual but still saved money.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 06/11/07 at 06:21:38

i like the 404s, i've got 'em on 2 HDs and the 'zuki. mawonline.com has them at a very affordable price.

WOW! $250-$300 for a belt? i'm thinking chain conversion, if we ever get to that choice.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 06/11/07 at 07:30:39

Once ya go chain, you'll do it again!

Ok, that was bad I know, but I won't be going back to a belt on the Savage.  BTW, I've got a belt and pulley's I'm willing to part with.  Belt has a blemish on it where a rock tried to push thru it tho'...would expect it to go a long time still but can't say for sure.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:31:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do I need new tires? (pics)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.