Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical Problem (Read 6 times)
Jonnyweave
Ex Member

Electrical Problem
06/09/07 at 08:06:19

I was recently riding my 2000 Savage and experienced an electrical problem.  The headlight began flashing on and off, and then after about a minute of this everything went dead.  I was moving but the engine cut out as well.  Upon inspection the top fuse in of the two under the seat was blown.  I did a quick check of wires that looked loose or may be touching and found nothing.  I turned the key off and put a new fuse in and it immediately blew.  Nothing will turn on it's all completely dead.  I'm not sure if the regulator/rectifier could be the problem or what it could be.  I'm not exactly sure what the regulator/rectifier does.  Any advice anyone has as to troubleshooting and such would be great.
--Jonathan--

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Electrical Problem
Reply #1 - 06/09/07 at 08:34:02

Start looking at the battery terminals, make sure they are not shorted, and then move from there to under the seat to the starter relay.

The headlight flickering was probably a wire being pinched or shorted to something.  Save your fuses until you find it.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/09/07 at 11:42:09

Trace the POSITIVE cable from the battery to the relay, it may have rubbed though and is grounding on the frame or somewhere...definately seems like a major "hot wire" is grounding out...should be easy to find. Also check for corrosion at the fuse terminals, they are prone to corrosion breakdown and sometimes need cleaning....even the fuses themselves can cause major headaches if the connectors are not clean...if they are the least bit dirty, replace them and use a bit of dielectric grease on the terminals.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Jonnyweave
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/10/07 at 17:39:20

I have traced the positive to the starter relay and then off of the relay to the fuse that is blown.  It all looks normal with nothing that could be shorting out that I can see.  Does anyone know if the starter relay could go bad and cause the problem?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/11/07 at 07:10:15

Jonnyweave wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I have traced the positive to the starter relay and then off of the relay to the fuse that is blown.  It all looks normal with nothing that could be shorting out that I can see.  Does anyone know if the starter relay could go bad and cause the problem?  

I seriously doubt the relay has anything to do with it.

Keep checking wires.  Might even have to remove the tank.

Good luck.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #5 - 06/11/07 at 07:22:16

Check inside the headlight housing too?  and the headlight switch.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 06/11/07 at 07:34:55

Check the wires to the fuse holder to see if they are pinched between the seat and frame.

Remember KISS.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 06/11/07 at 07:36:21

Make sure things aren't wet. A weak point in the insulation of a wire can look ok and work ok when dry, and still look ok when wet, but short out.

The good news is if the fuse is immediately blowing it's going to be (relatively) easy to find. If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it, after you have done a more thorough visual inspection, start using it.

Sometimes running fingers along wires can find things underneath/between that are not so easy to see. Be careful! Metal splinters hurt and can be unhealthy.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 06/11/07 at 07:46:03

KISS.

IP Logged