Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comparison of 1987 vs 1999 models (Read 5 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Comparison of 1987 vs 1999 models
06/05/07 at 13:36:33

Well, I wanted to make a post comparing my bikes for anyone who might be interested in the differences. But the forum software limits post size below what I'd written, so here's a simple web page I pasted it all to:

http://catoosatrading.com/comparison_1987_1999_savage

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Re: Comparison of 1987 vs 1999 models
Reply #1 - 06/05/07 at 16:24:54

nice to know I'm not the only one gripping his seat with his buns on a banking turn with ripples.   I nearly sh@t myself the first time around cracked pavement on my 1986.

The split seat on one of your bikes has been re-padded or chopped down.  Looks comfier, like mine.  Also, if you could maybe get some pics of the headlight lift...??  I'm digging it.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 06/05/07 at 20:01:34

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
nice to know I'm not the only one gripping his seat with his buns on a banking turn with ripples.   I nearly sh@t myself the first time around cracked pavement on my 1986.

The split seat on one of your bikes has been re-padded or chopped down.  Looks comfier, like mine.  Also, if you could maybe get some pics of the headlight lift...??  I'm digging it.

Hey Tux, you're not the first to ask about the seat and/or the headlight riser. So that they're not mixed in with this thread, and can be more easily searched for in future reference, I'll start a new subject on them complete with pictures (of course).

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #3 - 06/05/07 at 20:29:09

i've already made my stock seat as comfy as possible.

I work at a furniture store, and have access to fancy padding.

I recommend removing stock green foam and adding 1 inch of Talalay latex.  It doesn't hold heat, conforms to contours(read:  tiny butts), and holds it's shape.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 06/05/07 at 20:57:18

I'm happy to report that however my seat was cut down works well with not-so-tiny butts also  Wink

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 06/05/07 at 21:10:34

i've already made my stock seat as comfy as possible.

I work at a furniture store, and have access to fancy padding.

I recommend removing stock green foam and adding 1 inch of Talalay latex.  It doesn't hold heat, conforms to contours(read:  tiny butts), and holds it's shape.

BTW, thanks for the info on working were you can get good upholstery materials. Now I'll know who to try and mooch materials off of in the future... Just Kidding.

I've been meaning to call an old band mate who was in the auto upholstery business for many years. Hoping he can do any future projects for me.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #6 - 06/05/07 at 22:30:47

Dude, go buy yourself a recliner at a home-grown store and break the mechanism.  When the service guy comes to look at it, give him a 12 pack and ask him how his day was.  Then tell him you were looking for some good leather for your bike.  

Should work.  

Hell, I've got enough left from some old Barcalounger to do another whole bike.  You'll only need a square yard for the whole Savage.

If you want to go cloth, look for a place to buy Sunbrella outdoor fabric.  

If you want to go leather, get something Aniline, and not really thick.  Thinner than a good boot, not as thin as a cheap jacket.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 06/06/07 at 00:06:51

Dude, go buy yourself a recliner at a home-grown store and break the mechanism.  When the service guy comes to look at it, give him a 12 pack and ask him how his day was.  Then tell him you were looking for some good leather for your bike.  

Should work.  

Hell, I've got enough left from some old Barcalounger to do another whole bike.  You'll only need a square yard for the whole Savage.

If you want to go cloth, look for a place to buy Sunbrella outdoor fabric.  

If you want to go leather, get something Aniline, and not really thick.  Thinner than a good boot, not as thin as a cheap jacket.

Like I  said "Just Kidding" about mooching material. I've got a whole stack of big pieces of good leather from salvaging my old leather sofa. Like you say, this stuff is about the right thickness to be soft, but still have some strength. Kept some of the good foam out of it too. I should be set, if I can find my old band buddy to do any custom work cheap.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Comparison of 1987 vs 1999 models

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.