Hi from new Savage owner (Read 3 times)
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Hi from new Savage owner
06/05/07 at 11:50:47

Hi all.  I've been lurking and learning a bunch here, but was having some problems logging in.  John finally got me on the right track.  

On mother's day I bought myself a new '07 S40.  It's not my first bike, but is my first Suzuki.  I've had a few bikes and then a Honda Silver Wing 600 scooter for two years before this bike.  Decided it was time for a bike again.  I was looking for a light, small bike and the S40 and fit me so well I decided to go for the Suzuki instead of another Honda.  

I noticed the front brake squeaking right away.  I decided to take a look at the rotor and and I noticed some scraping into the rotor on the outside, but it's below where the brake pad hits the flat part of the disc (bear with my description please) kind of where there is the upside down V shapes.  I figure it couldn't be the pad rubbing that low and must be some part of the brake mechanism rubbing.  Took it back to the dealer and he did some sort of quick adjustment.  He said he would order me a new rotor and that there was no safety issue so we could wait and put it on during the 600 mile service.  Also said he would try some things to stop the squeaking then.  I'm also thinking of getting the carb set so it doesn't run so lean.  

I was reading about how quickly the stock Suzuki pads wear out.  I really don't understand why this happens so fast on this bike.  Is it the material in the pads, the rotor itself, the brake mechanism, or a combination of all?  I had 15,000 on my Silver Wing when I sold it and the brake pads still had wear to go (could still just see the replacement marks).

Anyway, I've got 500 miles on her now.  I love how easy the bike is to ride and how cool it looks and now there's another female here!

Ride safely,
Colleen in VA

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Hi from new Savage owner
Reply #1 - 06/05/07 at 12:10:47

Welcome Colleen. Hope you enjoy your Savage. If I remember correctly, I got about 5,000 miles before I replaced my first set of pads on my Savage. Good news is that they are easy to replace. Undecided

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 06/05/07 at 12:16:25

Huzzah! And welcome!

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #3 - 06/05/07 at 12:30:47

Hi Colleen

Welcome from Cucamonga!

I also got only 5K miles when I replaced my brake pads with the suzuki ones.  The second time, I used EBC FA106X (the red ones) and I'm over 8K so far.

Good to have you with us on this site.

Smokey

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 06/05/07 at 12:44:52

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 06/05/07 at 12:49:00

Hello Colleen and welcome!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 06/05/07 at 13:32:26

Welcome aboard ~ these are a great group of people who can help with so many things.

Be wary of the dealer repairs, and get the new part put on as soon as it comes in. No telling what the 'quick fix' was that the dealer did.
Check your bike front wheel carefully each time before you go anywhere until the problem is really fixed.

Ride safe!
Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #7 - 06/05/07 at 17:04:56

Welcome from another Newbie

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #8 - 06/05/07 at 18:05:32

Welcome Colleen. Hope you enjoy your stay. Lots of good information and common sense.
BTW there are more female riders here than you think. They mostly sit back and let the other gender make da^n fools of themselves. We mean no harm.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #9 - 06/05/07 at 22:49:58

Welcome Colleen, from a fellow Va. rider!

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 06/06/07 at 04:27:59

Thanks for the info and pic of the EBC pads.  I'll definitely get those when the time comes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:30:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi from new Savage owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.