Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Throttle and Squeaking? (Read 41 times)
monkee72
Ex Member

Throttle and Squeaking?
06/05/07 at 08:02:50

Ok, I know this sounds odd, but...it used to happen only when it was a little wet outside, but now it seems to happen all the time.  There's an irritating squealing sound when I apply the throttle...?huh?  I have no clue, I can coast in N but as soon as I apply the throttle it starts up again.  AAAAAARGH!!  Any help would be GREAT!!! Thanks to all!!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Throttle and Squeaking?
Reply #1 - 06/05/07 at 08:06:25

what exactly is making the noise - the levers or the actual handhold?

both can be taken easily apart, CLEANED, and reassembled.

if it is the BELT making the noise, refer to the Tech section for how to check and possibly adjust it.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/07 at 08:08:29

No, it's like something beneath me.  But only when I roll on the throttle, could it be some kind of belt or chain or something down there?  I wouldn't figure it's the actual drive belt since it only happens with throttle application.

IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/07 at 08:10:10

oh, and it's the entire time I'm using the throttle.  Not just for an instant, but the whole while, so it really bites when I'm doing 25 in a residential with alot of people around, embarrassing to put it lightly. Sad

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/05/07 at 08:18:45

I agree with skatnbnc, sounds like belt to me.
Do a search for "drive belt squeak" and you will get a lot of threads.
Here is one.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 06/05/07 at 09:41:42

Check the nut on the front drive pulley. Mine was loose, even though the tab was bent on the lockwasher. Can make some weird sounds. Also the belt  hit the belt guard making an annoying sound.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 06/05/07 at 10:04:27

All the recommendations are spot on, I also had mine break the back support for the belt guard and it squeeked and was hard to find. I've tried new drive cushions to keep the rear pulley aligned between drive, float and coast and mine either squeeks on drive or coast, not both. I have run it on a jack with the front wheel in the tire vice on a hoist and can watch the belt move from center to one side or the other going from drive, coast and float in the middle. I'm hard of hearing in those frequencies anyway so tend to ignore it, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/05/07 at 10:43:26

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Check the nut on the front drive pulley. Mine was loose, even though the tab was bent on the lockwasher. Can make some weird sounds. Also the belt  hit the belt guard making an annoying sound.

yes and over time it will eat the spline teeth inside the steel front pulley - really start make'n odd buzzing clanking sounds then.

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 06/05/07 at 12:29:23

Take a bottle of water with you when noise starts spray the drive belt if it go's away or changes most likly belt,if no change ck. for vac. leak around air box or at carb. mounting.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 06/05/07 at 12:45:07

My belt squeaks when the weather is damp, most noticable when accelerating. Doesn't make any sound in dry weather.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 06/05/07 at 13:12:33

Then doubel check for air leak. you can get some strange tunes from rubber and plastic hoses. keep looking let us know what you find.

IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/12/07 at 07:54:41

Ok, all.  So far by tinkering around with the drive pulley, it seems to have stopped...so far.  We'll see.  Thank you all so much!!  Ride safe, it's been a beautiful start to the year!

IP Logged
jamesb
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/16/07 at 15:29:10

What did you do when you said "tinkered around with the drive pulley"? Was the nut loose? I've got the exact same problem. After I left my 2000 savage in the rain one day it started squeaking when I use the throttle. I was hoping it would go away but it is getting quite annoying. cheers

IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/18/07 at 10:36:53

ok, well, to start, this site is completely, unbelievably awesome.  Everyone here is so helpful and we all know most of the time it's something simple and if we go back to the stealership, we'll get some round-about answer and an empty pocket.  With that said, I thank eveyone who has helped me save, by now I'm sure hundreds, so thank you all and ride safe!  So then...to rid the squeaking, well so far and it's been about 250 miles later, still with no irritating squeal, I sprayed some silicone spray in the belt (sides) and tried moving it into center a bit more on the drive pulley.  It sounds like the problem you are having is IDENTICAL to what I was experiencing.  I also heard bees wax, so that's next if all else fails.  Good luck!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/19/07 at 12:24:09

I just went & tried to wiggle or shake the front pulley. No wiggling I could feel. Does that give it a clean bill of health? I have never messed with it & there are just over 15,000 miles on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 11:04:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle and Squeaking?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.