Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A little discouraged.. (Read 13 times)
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
A little discouraged..
06/18/07 at 17:35:49

I bought my Savage about a month ago and got about two weeks riding time on it.  Then the cam chain tensioning arm took a dump.  Fortunately, that happened in my driveway and not on the highway.  After waiting nearly two weeks for all of the parts to come in, I finally get to start working on it this evening after work.  This is going to be a bigger job than I anticipated.  

I bought this bike to ride while I took my time with the customizing of my gs850.  Now I am working on it as well.  I will get there, it will just take me another week or more.  I hate it that I have so little time to work on stuff like this.

Does anyone have a suggestion for removing the clutch basket with out buying the "special" tool?

Here are some pics of how it sits:

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: A little discouraged..
Reply #1 - 06/18/07 at 17:52:51

I'm not sure what the 'special' tool does.  Mine was easy enough to get off.  Just jam a penny between the gears to get the retaining nuts off.  It did take 2 tries to get it back on though.  But can't tell you what was jammed up.  But all I did was R&R the clutch plates a second time and it worked.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 06/18/07 at 20:04:23

I have the clutch springs and spring retainer off.  I am trying to remove the center nut on the clutch basket so I can remove it to get the cam chain off.  I will give the penny in the gears a try.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/18/07 at 20:34:21

pennys and you know it's lefthand?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 06/18/07 at 20:44:42

They make a Vice grip adapted to do the job and I've used it on many engine and for some other jobs also. Other options, strap wrench or chain wrench, please do not try to hold it between the clutchlates grooves or you may be waiting a while longer for parts. It also seems to me some one was able to remove the main drive gear w/o removig the clutch basket. Hopefully someone else who has done the cam chain job will read this and let you know. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/18/07 at 20:53:51

The crank nut is left hand, but the clutch basket nut is right.  They do it this way so the nut tends to tighten rather than loosen.

It may have been the 86/88's that you can sneak the primary gear by the clutch.  But not the '96 on.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/19/07 at 04:25:53

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The crank nut is left hand, but the clutch basket nut is right.  They do it this way so the nut tends to tighten rather than loosen.

It may have been the 86/88's that you can sneak the primary gear by the clutch.  But not the '96 on.

Yeah, I didn't think I was going to be able to get it from out behind that basket.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.  I will be working on it more this evening after work.  Does anyone happen to know the exact size of the clutch basket and crank nuts?  I am going to have to purchase sockets to fit as I don't have them currently.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/19/07 at 07:53:18

30 & 32 mm
Harbor Freight has a set of large sockets for less than the cost the 2 sockets at sears.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 06/19/07 at 15:49:41

Thank you.  That is very helpful information.  I normally buy all of my sockets at Sears.  In this case, I hope I will not have to use them but once every four years or so.  I will prolly go with the Harbor Freight models

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 06/19/07 at 19:58:16

or swing by a pawn shop - pretty hard to wear out a six point socket - just make sure they're not cracked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/19/07 at 21:17:00

Them craftsman's sure are pretty, and I'll give them as gift's.  But knowing that I'll be lucky to use them once a year makes them hard to buy, part scotch, part irish and there must be some german jewish in there somewhere.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:26:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A little discouraged..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.