Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question on Brake Pads (Read 11 times)
jotrac

NW Pennsylvania
Question on Brake Pads
06/05/07 at 04:05:54

Inspection is coming up.  I am embarking on my next adventure in wrenching.  I have ordered EBC front brake pads but am not sure I got the right ones.

The package says FA 106 at the top.  The pad itself is marked FA106X but there is no groove down the middle of the pad like is shown in Greg's replacement instructions.

The package has a yellow sticker that says: CAUTION Always match pads across the front axle on ATVs.  Do not mix red pads with other pads on front.

Are these for ATV's?  Or do ATV's use the same pads?  Sorry if this seems dumb but it's my first time with brakes.

Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Question on Brake Pads
Reply #1 - 06/05/07 at 06:19:17

There are 2 or 3 that have the same base plate but the pad is thicker than the savage uses - I ended up with a too thick set once myself - so just as a quick check is the pad thicker than the base plate? if so it's unlikely they will fit

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 06/05/07 at 06:20:04

Don't know about the specific fitment but I use EBC pads+discs and like them.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/07 at 06:32:01

Well, My EBC's I have hangin in the garage say the same thing. FA106,, no X, No groove, sticker about ATV's, pad thicker than steel backing.. Either yours are gonna work, TOO, or mine aint gonna work, EITHER! Lemme know how that goes,, okay? These were ordered from a local shop. So far they have never handed me a wrong part. I hope these work out.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/05/07 at 06:40:27

jotrac wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Inspection is coming up.  I am embarking on my next adventure in wrenching.  I have ordered EBC front brake pads but am not sure I got the right ones.

The package says FA 106 at the top.  The pad itself is marked FA106X but there is no groove down the middle of the pad like is shown in Greg's replacement instructions.

The package has a yellow sticker that says: CAUTION Always match pads across the front axle on ATVs.  Do not mix red pads with other pads on front.

Are these for ATV's?  Or do ATV's use the same pads?  Sorry if this seems dumb but it's my first time with brakes.

Thanks for any help.

Well, how about this?  If your bike isn't your only form of transportation, then leave the pads in the package and and remove the brake caliper for a closer look.

The part number is correct, but not having a groove along with the ATV warning sounds strange.

Didn't I put this photo in the other topic?  With my grainy old camera, here's the part number...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/05/07 at 07:08:57

Hey HEEY! I see on the backing plate it says FA106 X , so I guess that means I am in Bizzniss,,I hope you are too. Look closely, the markings are pretty faint.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 06/05/07 at 10:12:47

Seems like those numbers and ATV warning were on the set I just installed and they are working fine. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/05/07 at 10:36:33

if you end up with the thick ones you'll know it - the pads are at least twice as think as the base - not any room left for the rotor - think I still have them some place I'll try to find them this evening and check the part number - can't remember if they were ebc or not

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/05/07 at 11:25:03

I beleave the fa106x is the ceramic pads, although mine are red.

The thick ones are fa106/2, don't get those.

WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 06/05/07 at 12:34:02

FA106X is the right one, they have lasted over 8K so far

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
jotrac

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #10 - 06/05/07 at 14:07:54

Thanks all of you!!
Mine look just like Smokey's and the pad is definitely not double the plate thickness.
I think I have the right ones Cheesy and will be installing this weekend.

IP Logged
ND
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 06/05/07 at 14:57:56

The same thing happened to me when I ordered a set from Bike Bandit. In fact it's happened twice. The first time they made it right and sent me the right ones. The last time they told me that the reason they sent the red ones was because they were out of the FA106 and FA106X is an "acceptable" replacement. I sent them back and then Bike Bandit said they couldn't get the right ones. If you go to EBC website you'll find that the red pads with the X are designed more for motocross, and they say they won't last as long as the right ones. They might have put a sticker on the pads that say FA106, but they are what they are marked on the pads themselves, FA106X. I don't recall seeing any other pads designed for street application that were red. They might work, but they are not the primary application pads for the Savage. My .02.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/05/07 at 18:36:24

don't forget to smear some anti-squeal grease on back of pads (careful not to get any on front) - available from a local autoparts store in a little toothpaste like tube. Smiley

IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #13 - 06/05/07 at 22:52:22

I didn't use the blue stuff on the back of the pads...do I really need it?

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/06/07 at 04:26:41

windrider -
If the brakes don't start squealing, not a problem.
If the squeal doesn't bother you, not a problem.

ND -
This is strange.  The picture Greg posted shows the FA106X, and they are grey and have the groove.
Smokey2 posted picture of FA106X, red and no groove.
I bought mine from here:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=125&manufacturer_ID=...

Cruiser Customizing does not even show that they stock the FA106X, only the FA106.
The picture shows grey w/ grove.  The ones I got were red and no grove.  Package has long since been tossed. I am ALMOST curious enough to pull the brakes to see what is on the back.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 12:32:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on Brake Pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.